GTR Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive owned my 33 for just under a year now, having wanted one ever since I started an appreniceship at Nissan in 97.
I was trying to sell my evo ( which I owned for 4 years and spent a fortune on including 2.3 stroker, large turbo etc...),when I saw this advertised on ebay of all places! I was gutted as I never had the funds, or the space to keep it.
There was another for sale (midnight purple) in Devon from a dealer who would do a px with me, so I jumped in the evo from SE london and drove there. The car looked brilliant, drove brilliant, but had had the front struts repaired and was a Dog (rust)underneath! Idrove back in the evo.
I was still watching this one on ebay, but not being able to do anything about it, that was as far as it went. The auction ended early. So I contacted the seller who said it was because of lack of interest. Phew!! Having persuaded him to not advertise it for a week, I lowered the price of the mitsu, and it sold to a chap in Scotland.
Hastily, contacting the seller of the R33, I learned that it was still up for grabs! I arranged to meet him next to Huddersfield station. 1 Week later, I was in Huddersfield with my head underneath the car I had been looking at the pictures of for the last month! There were a couple of small faults, but it was exactly what I have wanted for the last 11 years!
Once I got it back, I undersealed the arches, and had one of the Greddy side skirts re-sprayed. The old alarm was ripped out and a toad alarm fitted. I did a full service and minor repairs such as CV boots, brake pads etc... The car is now mechanicly perfect.
The car was mechanicly perfect, but standard(ish) I was looking for some more "went" than standard, but not an un reliable amount.
I investigated what it had on it; Greddy intercooler, Greddy dump valve,oil cooler, exhuast, de cat, Trust down pipes, Greddy skirts and rear bumper. OK.
I wanted 425- 450 BHP for a good all rounder, but I knew the turbos are a weak point. This is what I went for; Apexi power fc L Jectro, Gizzmo boost controller, HKS in tank pump(hard wired) Apexi AXB60 turbos, Nismo thermostat, Nice large rad, Nismo 550cc injectors ( ive got other stuff aswell such as Nismo guages Nismo gear knob..).
After following a recommendeation I took it down to TR racing, to be set up. Rob (Rest in peace) was a top man, and an exellent mapper, he did a fantastic job. I remember, he stood next to the car and said " Thats such a nice car youve got there. I like it." He advised me to put the balance pipe back in. ( I only had the privalige of meeting Rob twice, but he made a lasting impression).
Its got about 460-480BHP now. I am aiming to bring it on a rolling road day some time to find out. Anyway, Ive been going on a bit, so here are a couple of pictures.
[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Wow what a story, I like the way you got the skyline repaired and full serviced just like tha lol!

So how does the 33 compare to your mitsi?

·
Super Moderator
16,098 Posts
Nice! Did it come with those wheels, they suit it (and I don't think they're cheap!)

·
Registered
656 Posts
Thats the same as mine came over from japan all those years ago lol
lots of money latter it still looks the same:chairshot
Goes different though:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did the service etc myself. It wasnt "just like that", but I thought I was going on a bit so shortened it down.
The wheels came with it (the main reason I went for that particular one). LMGT1s are very rare in that condition. The RAYS engineering stickers are still on the insides.
How does it compare to the evo? - They are totally different - Chalk and cheese. The Evo was very "punchy" it would accelerate much more savagly( 2 bar at 3000rpm!), but run out of puff (and revs) much sooner. The handling was like a house fly in comparason, where as the "lardy" 33 seems to love being wound up and doesnt come to life until 4 grand. It doesnt change direction as fast as the smaller evo, but hangs on much better round the long sweeping corners.
I suppose it does make sense considering both there backgrounds.
I prefer the GTR overall.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts