GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody else have any warranty claim stories? Interested to know how long it usually takes to get the go ahead from Japan?

My car (a MY13 63 plate) is 8 mnths old and has covered 8k miles. It had the first optimisation on time and has a Milltek Y pipe fitted, that's the only mod.

A couple of weeks ago I was on my knees checking the tread on the rear tyres, as you do, and noticed the rear undertray was covered in oil.

Took the car to my local NHPC on Tues 22nd April, and it's still sat there now with no go ahead yet for the warranty claim.

They diagnosed the problem to be the gearbox casing joint, which has a liquid type sealant/gasket, and have sent pictures and videos to Japan as requested. It lost around 2 litres of oil.

Apparently the new gearbox will cost around £18k, and it's available from Amsterdam, so would only take a few days to deliver and fit.

But 14 days and 8 hours later (who's counting) they still haven't even ordered delivery of the new gearbox.

I'm pretty easy going but starting to get a bit pissed off now. At least they have upgraded my loan car from a Quashqai to a 370Z, but driving the Z only makes you realise what a fantastic car the GTR is.

Anybody else had their gearbox replaced under warranty on such a new car?

·
Registered
6,549 Posts
Time to start griefing nissan head office 01923 899999 to get it sorted. Hope you get it sorted ASAP

·
Registered
197 Posts
I'd look at where you stand from a legal point of view then start issuing terms.
Friend of mine sued Ferrari for the value of depreciation per day when he experienced a similar issue.

Work was done and he got his money (in free services).

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
With a fault that big & apparent pass poor Customer Service, i'd be rejecting the car & requesting a refund or like for like replacement.

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
I'd love to know what they do with the old units.
I'd pay good money for that box if it was only a seal failure.

I quite fancy the challenge of putting a GTR box on my GTO :chuckle:

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
I'd love to know what they do with the old units.
I'd pay good money for that box if it was only a seal failure.
This is my understanding from my experience with a new box and issues I had.

1.) Car goes to dealer

2.) Black box data is read and a GT-R trained assessor makes relevant notes

3.) Data is send to Nissan Japan to look at

4.) Nissan Japan come back with any additional remarks / requests

5.) At this point more inspections, requests are carried out or a yes / no is already given.

6.) If no is given customer gets irate at Nissan and things drag on. If yes is given then Nissan can order a gearbox from Nissan Japan

7.) Nissan Japan, confirm the order and box basically gets shipped from a place in Netherlands

8.) Nissan dealer has 'x' days to remove faulty box, install new box and place old back on the same pallet the new one came from to be shipped back to Netherlands.

9.) Once in Netherlands, it's shipped to Japan, stripped, inspected, and new box probably gets made with majority of cleaned up parts.

Middlehurst did my box 2 years ago, If they don't send faulty box back within certain time they get charged the cost of the box. If it arrives back and incorrect data has been sent or analysis then Nissan Japan can also kick up a fuss.

It's sadly not as simple as a quick fix. I waited 12-14 weeks for mine to be done and spent maybe days 3-4 hours on the phone.

·
Registered
9,736 Posts
And how are Nissan in regards to paying up on cars that are modified with say a Litchfields stage 1-5 package or other Tuner package?

I ask because next year I am looking to buy a R35 and it is good to know pit falls.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
And how are Nissan in regards to paying up on cars that are modified with say a Litchfields stage 1-5 package or other Tuner package?

I ask because next year I am looking to buy a R35 and it is good to know pit falls.
Not a hope in hell.

Bobby

·
Registered
6,549 Posts

Nissan are real sh*theads when it comes to warranty claims, they will try anything to get out of it, so buying a modified car might just be an excuse if a mechanical problem occurs, my advice would be buy a Litchfield moded car and take out the Litchfield warranty, my warranty just finished and I had some mods done by Litchfields and took out the warranty at the same time :cool:

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Would like to see if anyone managed to claim for a new gear box with a modified car, if you find anyone Flynn "I will eat my words"

Bobby

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Good news and bad news today.

They've approved the warranty claim (after 15 days of waiting).

The gearbox is no longer available from Amsterdam and has to come from Japan.

Looking at at least another month without the car.

It does depreciate at around 200 quid per week, but as long as I can get a loan GTR out of them I'd be happy. They gave me a 63 plate 370Z last Friday, but as nice as it is, it's just awful compared to the GTR.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Think the warranty small print is along the lines of:

While your vehicle is being repaired or serviced by an authorised dealership, Nissan will do everything to make sure that you remain mobile. Nissan will provide you with a courtesy Nissan until genuine Nissan parts can be found to repair your vehicle. Keep in mind that Nissan will make an effort to meet your requirements. However, Nissan cannot guarantee that courtesy cars will be available. They do have the right to make alternate suggestions to keep you mobile.
I'd take a peek. It's awkward I found because the dealership only makes money from your claim on what they bill Nissan Japan for labour which is already a set agreed time.

The dealership giving you a car is costing them money, so your complaint really needs to be aimed at Nissan customer services for the UK / Europe with your concerns to be raised as I found previously you won't get a huge amount of luck from the dealership because the only time they'll be making money is when that gearbox is in and they fit it.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah spot on EAndy, the dealership gave me a Quashqai, it was Nissan UK that supplied the Z, so I'll be talking to them later.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts