GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes must admit a pain getting in and out but thought white with it being a black car stands out more cheers

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
nice, very similar to my cage, not sure about the door bars though....I must be getting old but getting in and out of mine is a chore..

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
i assume you are doing some club-level circuit work? I guess that style of cage is ok... mostly cheap and easy to install/remove, but as a roll-cage builder, I really dislike that type of cage. They break almost all of the fundamental rules of cage design - and personally I wouldn't trust my safety to one. it's like the old saying $10 helmet for a $10 head. Sorry, don't mean to rain on your parade!!

Your 32 is very nice btw!

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
i assume you are doing some club-level circuit work? I guess that style of cage is ok... mostly cheap and easy to install/remove, but as a roll-cage builder, I really dislike that type of cage. They break almost all of the fundamental rules of cage design - and personally I wouldn't trust my safety to one. it's like the old saying $10 helmet for a $10 head. Sorry, don't mean to rain on your parade!!

fair enough, but if my car rolls in the future...I think I'll be happier with it...
Not sure if it's just the photos but the cage itself looks quite far from the dash..mine really hugs it..

·
Registered
3,585 Posts

whats so bad about the design of theses cages? is it due to the fact they dont go through the dashboard or some other reason?

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
i assume its because its a bolt up type cage and therefore flex isnt really compensated for, although it looks ok, and is safer than no cage, it wont hold flex and has weaker breaking points. as i understand it!
i do hope frostmotorsports replies though, i am interested in the experts point of view.
where was the cage done mate?
kev
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
possibly, but the mounts are welded and the cage 'aint going nowhere' ... obviously a fully welded will work better, but in a daily driver the removable option is the best.... especially as I don't even know if you can get the clocks out with it in......in a 33 anyway..

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
man you'll need to be a contortionist to get in and out ..is it a daily driver also..!!

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
The dog leg to avoid going through the dash will cripple in a serious accident as it's already bent. The strength of a cage is really in the mounting points to the shell. I see some real abortions where the feet of the cage are just bolted to the stock, paper thin floor pan. They MUST have welded reinforcements to spread the load over a big area of floor and very preferably taking in an adjacent panel at roughly 90 degrees to the floor, like the inner sill. But however it is fitted it must offer some additional protection, with the HUGE caveat that on the road, with no helmet on, if you belt your head against one the tube isn't going anywhere. Even with a proper helmet it should have proper high density foam roll cage padding on areas your helmet may be able to strike in an accident. A cage leg just bolted to an unreinforced floor pan will just punch straight through it in a big bump.

·
Registered
834 Posts
As chris says, the problem area is the dogleg, also the way the tubes are bolted togeather means they are more likely to pivot in relation to each other in an accident allowing the cage to collapse.

Thing is, not everyone wants to go to the extent of having a full multipoint cage. its extremely expensive, means chopping your interior trim up, or just removing it entirely. Usually means no passengers in the back, etc etc

A friend of mine fitted a simple bolt in rear cage in his classic mini. It saved his life when one of the rear shocks locked solid. The resultant loss of grip span the car and he ended up in a flooded ditch, upside down. The "crap" cage prevented the roof coming down and wedging the doors closed. Without it im certain he'd have been unable to get out.

So although it may not be the ultimate in rollcages a bolt in one CAN save your life.

Oh and I like the contrast of a white cage in a black car!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts