GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the wheel nuts on my GTR are looking pretty worse for wear having faded and gone a bit rusty, I'm therefore looking to buy some shiny new ones. Does anyone have any recommendations?

I've been looking at the RAYS Duralumin ones here: https://www.part-box.com/dlsm12x1.25bk-rays-durlock-duralumin-lock-nuts-set

Can anyone tell me if these will fit the standard alloys on a DBA GTR? If anyone has any other recommendations that would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,863 Posts
"RAYS Durlock Duralumin lightweight wheel nuts weighing in at only 24g each compared to a standard steel nut that is approximately 60g!"

Good for 0.5 off the 0-60 then! heehee

Tho just looking at pictures of my Kuro black R35 that has gloss black alloys, and hadnt noticed how much the stock silver nuts stand out, now I've read this thread they are annoying me! haha

so wouldnt mind a set myself in black! dunno which size to order tho...

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"RAYS Durlock Duralumin lightweight wheel nuts weighing in at only 24g each compared to a standard steel nut that is approximately 60g!"

Good for 0.5 off the 0-60 then! heehee

Tho just looking at pictures of my Kuro black R35 that has gloss black alloys, and hadnt noticed how much the stock silver nuts stand out, now I've read this thread they are annoying me! haha

so wouldnt mind a set myself in black! dunno which size to order tho...
Exactly! Easily another 20bhp with these too :chuckle:

I think the M12x1.25 are the correct fitment but hopefully someone can confirm. I asked the company if they knew on eBay but they said they couldn't guarantee they would fit stock alloys. I think it's a pretty standard fitment on Jap cars though.

·
Premium Member
1,954 Posts
I've got a set of these, and they fit the G25s and TSW Nurbs without any issues.
I don't have any CBA/DBA wheels to test with unfortunately.
They do use a 19mm socket though.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Are they aluminium?

·
Premium Member
1,954 Posts
Duralumin isn't titanium.
Sorry, just re-checked (I have titanium ones on another car, assumed the same) and they are made of A7075 T6 which is a composite of Aluminum alloy 7075 is an aluminum alloy, with zinc as the primary alloying element. It is strong, with a strength comparable to many steels, and has good fatigue strength and average machinability. It has lower resistance to corrosion than many other Al alloys, but has significantly better corrosion resistance than the 2000 alloys. Its relatively high cost limits its use to applications where cheaper alloys are not suitable.

Yes, and no, I wouldn't trust them either on a 1750kg car:thumbsup:
Been using these on my R35 for 4+ years and never had an issue on road or track. Lots of R35 folks use them around the world.

·
Premium Member
13,345 Posts
Been using these on my R35 for 4+ years and never had an issue on road or track. Lots of R35 folks use them around the world.
Personal choice really. I think there is such a small weight saving to be gained that I'd sooner have the added strength factor that steel wheel nuts offer.

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Personal choice really. I think there is such a small weight saving to be gained that I'd sooner have the added strength factor that steel wheel nuts offer.
I did wonder if anyone would bring this up as heard it a few times. I've also heard of Aluminium nuts being banned in certain motorsport races etc but surely if they weren't capable of coping with the stresses from eg a track day they would have to say this on the product page? I would imagine the tolerance on these is huge given the application, particularly from a company like Rays. I'm also pretty sure these are the nuts that come with the TE37s fitted to the LM20 etc.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I bought the Nissan Motorsport wheelnuts. as the OEM ones started to rust as well.

NISMO WHEEL NUT SET 50mm LONG LENGTH 20 NUTS 40220-RN805 LUG écrou de roue 4u! | eBay

a bit of copy/past here.....

Nismo need no introduction, The tuning arm of Nissan Japan competes in all touring car events in Japan. They build complete vehicles such as the Nissan GTR Z-tune and produce numerous parts to allow you to build your own upgraded vehicles.

These Nismo Wheel Nuts are made from highly durable Chrome Molly Alloy. These nuts remain secure in high temperature environments and sport running.

The wheel nut set includes 20 nuts and an adapter. The adapter is required because the nuts feature a unique 7-sided heptagonal design for a passive security effect.

Available in two sizes.
34mm is the standard type to fit most applications.
50mm nuts are used when a vehicle is fitted with long stud bolts.

Finished in Black only. These nuts can provide a more classy look to standard or alloy wheels.
They also feature the Nismo logo.

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I bought the Nissan Motorsport wheelnuts. as the OEM ones started to rust as well.

NISMO WHEEL NUT SET 50mm LONG LENGTH 20 NUTS 40220-RN805 LUG écrou de roue 4u! | eBay

a bit of copy/past here.....

Nismo need no introduction, The tuning arm of Nissan Japan competes in all touring car events in Japan. They build complete vehicles such as the Nissan GTR Z-tune and produce numerous parts to allow you to build your own upgraded vehicles.

These Nismo Wheel Nuts are made from highly durable Chrome Molly Alloy. These nuts remain secure in high temperature environments and sport running.

The wheel nut set includes 20 nuts and an adapter. The adapter is required because the nuts feature a unique 7-sided heptagonal design for a passive security effect.

Available in two sizes.
34mm is the standard type to fit most applications.
50mm nuts are used when a vehicle is fitted with long stud bolts.

Finished in Black only. These nuts can provide a more classy look to standard or alloy wheels.
They also feature the Nismo logo.
Thanks for the info. Looks like the Rays one will fit then if you have those Nismo ones on stock wheels. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,033 Posts

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Sorry, just re-checked (I have titanium ones on another car, assumed the same) and they are made of A7075 T6 which is a composite of Aluminum alloy 7075 is an aluminum alloy, with zinc as the primary alloying element. It is strong, with a strength comparable to many steels, and has good fatigue strength and average machinability. It has lower resistance to corrosion than many other Al alloys, but has significantly better corrosion resistance than the 2000 alloys. Its relatively high cost limits its use to applications where cheaper alloys are not suitable.

They say they are Duralumin which is NOT 7075 apparently!!

Duralumin (also called duraluminum, duraluminium, duralum, duralium or dural) is the trade name of one of the earliest types of age-hardenable aluminium alloys. Its use as a trade name is obsolete, and today the term is mainly used to describe aluminium–copper alloys, designated as the 2000 series by the International Alloy Designation System (IADS)

Even 7075 cannot be as strong as steel and the actual bond to the car is only the size of the thread pitch, yes someting like 7075 can be very strong in applications like for instance the engine girdle but a wheel nut is something especially in my case that is constantly being removed and refitted and wearing the threads.

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Why not fit Ti ones if you want looks and less weight, at the end of the day these are alloy and would not be allowed through scrutineering in any sanctioned event I can think of.

Burnt Titanium Open End Lug Nuts For ARP Extended Wheel Studs 12x1.25
£120 was expensive enough for some wheel nuts so really couldn't bring myself to spend £300 on some :chuckle:

I found a thread where AutoTorque were selling some TPI Branded Steel ones for £39 in various colours so I've messaged them.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
I had some forged alloy nuts on mine - took them off as you could feel the threads stretching as you tightened them - would only use steel nuts on these cars lots of grip and lots of weight - op remember you putting a thread up showing your wheels nuts - they do not look like nissan wheel nuts. They look like the type you get in a cheap wheel and tyre package

http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/492193-slight-vibration-under-braking.html

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I had some forged alloy nuts on mine - took them off as you could feel the threads stretching as you tightened them - would only use steel nuts on these cars lots of grip and lots of weight - op remember you putting a thread up showing your wheels nuts - they do not look like nissan wheel nuts. They look like the type you get in a cheap wheel and tyre package

http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/492193-slight-vibration-under-braking.html
Terry I did notice they were different to Nissan ones as the Nissan ones are chromed and rounded at the end aren't they.

Not sure how mine came to have these on, though Litchfield recently replaced a couple for me during my service as the threads went when they were replacing the wheels, and the nuts they put on are exactly the same.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts