GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 604 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A bit of history first....

I imported my Non V-Spec R34 GTR in July 2003 through Miguel @ Newera (massive thanks!) It was totally standard apart from Blitz filters, a cat back exhaust and Jun Auto side skirts.

Due to being 25 years old at the time it had to stay this way mechanically thanks to ridiculous insurance!!!

I decided to sort out any cosmetic stuff first and so ...

Off came all badges, boot lock, the skyline imprint on the boot, the standard mirrors, the standard wing stays, the Jun Auto skirts, the standard bonnet, the rear spats, the R-Tune front bumper and the standard wheels.

On went standard front splitter, Nismo skirts, Top Secret front bumper, Top Secret FRP Bonnet, Top Secret rear diffuser with vortex generators, Veilside mirrors, custom made wing stays and white 19x10.5j Volk TE37's.

And now it looks like this...

I then came to a point where i wanted to get serious with the engine so i stock piled a few bits (Grex Brakes front and back, and HKS Hipermax suspension). I really wanted to get everything done in one go and do it properly so i would not need to go back afterwards and redo!!!

I got in contact with Rob @ R.I.P.S and the man could not of been more helpful :bowdown1: After massive discussion (where i no doubt annoyed the hell out of him) he came up with an overall package that would meet exactly what i was after and as he explained this would be discussed every step of the way so that it will be spot on. There were 2 options: (1) have him build everything and ship it over or (2) bite the bullet and put my pride and joy in a container and on a ship out to him. I went for option (2) and a quick deposit later Rob was getting stuck into getting parts together...

I set about attempting to get the car clean enough to get through quarantine in New Zealand, and then on the 29th of November the car set off.

Rob has been in contact constantly, updating me on what is going on with the preparation of the bottom end and i have been as involved probably more than if i was there with him.

Then today Rob got in touch to say the car had arrived and due to my shoddy cleaning skills had failed the cleanliness test ...

Rob being the legend he is took the car himself so he could keep an eye on it to the cleaners

and then ...

..a full pass!!

So as it stands now ...

The car is all set to go Rob is going to dyno it to get a standard bassline and then it is all systems go on the engine.

Will keep this post updated and i am sure Rob will check in to answer any questions and stuff that i cant!!

Cheers for looking,

Sparks:thumbsup:

·
Registered
233 Posts
I can see this is going to be a very interesting thread as a few people have been considering the RB30 option from RIPS, NZ.

I hope it all progresses smoothly for you. Great courage on your part to take the shipping option. However, if it works I feel pretty sure you'll be making some savings :D

·
Registered
279 Posts
yeah going to be an interesting thread, keep us updated.
nice car mate, wow TS CF diffuser..mega $$$

if i got paid in GBP, i'd probably consider going RB30 too,
good luck with the project.

·
GTROC Member
5,037 Posts
Nice one mate, takes some balls to ship your pride and joy halfway round the earth to someone you've never met before ! I'm sure they'll do they're usual good job in it :)

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Turbo is a T04z , big but not too big the car is mainly road driven so its not going to be too crazy but it is going to have some seriously trick stuff!!!!

In terms of the shipping once you have spoken to Rob, he really puts you at ease and you really feel comfortable seding him the car . Its the sticking it on a ship that is the scary thing !!!!!

Cheers for the comments!

Sparks

·
GTROC Member
5,037 Posts
Fair play mate ! I really dont know if I could do that with my car, I'd be panicing BIG TIME.

That turbo looks like it could suck up small children.... :)

·
Registered
6,560 Posts
Fair play mate ! I really dont know if I could do that with my car, I'd be panicing BIG TIME.
Its really very easy, the car goes in a sealed box and I'm the only one who gets to open the box once it gets here, I also make sure no-one else touches it or drives it, I take the whole process very seriously and basicly guard the car with my life because of the trust involved.

The customer is kept informed every step of the way and I personally take car of anything related to getting it to NZ, to my shop, and once there I have a huge compound and 2 VERY nasty man eating guard dogs who also guard customers cars as though their lives depend on it.

Rob

·
Premium Member
5,779 Posts
I've got to say - in any dealings with Rob you can have complete confidence in his integrity, honesty and fairness.

I recomend him in a heartbeat.

Simon

·
Registered
646 Posts
What an excellent service RIPS!
I'd personally feel confident in doing this, maybe the expense would put me off a bit.
What spec motor are you going for Sparks?
Are RIPS mapping it also? :)

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
Welcome to the R.I.P.S Club Sparks. :smokin:

Rob is a diamond. :thumbsup:

Keep us all informed how it's going.

Jeff

·
GTROC Member
5,037 Posts
Its really very easy, the car goes in a sealed box and I'm the only one who gets to open the box once it gets here, I also make sure no-one else touches it or drives it, I take the whole process very seriously and basicly guard the car with my life because of the trust involved.

The customer is kept informed every step of the way and I personally take car of anything related to getting it to NZ, to my shop, and once there I have a huge compound and 2 VERY nasty man eating guard dogs who also guard customers cars as though their lives depend on it.

Rob
Rob, sounds like a great service mate :thumbsup:

Just a question, do the cars have to be de-registered and re-registered because it goes out of the country for so long ? You dont have to pay any sort of import duties again I assume ?

·
Registered
6,560 Posts
as far as this end goes, I import the car under a temporary import order, its a very legally involved process with declartions of intention, time scale etc and it has to be aproved by some pen pusher somewhere.
Doing it this way, I don't have to pay huge taxes.

Basicly from a UK customers point of view there are just a few small fee's to pay for usual port, customs and inland shipping charges this end.

As the car is exported to me for 'repairs, modification or maintainence' not sold to me there is no big deal in getting the car back into the UK as you are not actually purchasing it from me, your just getting your own car back.
For piece of mind, check with a shipping company/customs broker in the UK.

1 - 20 of 604 Posts