GTR Forum banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Thanks.

I can't keep the 16's as they won't fit over the new calipers.

An R35 set up would be even nicer. But having spent £2k on this 'budget' solution I think I will stick where I am. (The discs were the biggest cost, and I didn't have to pay separately for pads as they came with the callipers).

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
ECU for the 476bhp figure was on an Apexi Power FC. Ive now upgraded to a Nistune for smoother running and greater functionality.

There have been one or two other upgrades since too which I need to document.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Rear Brake Upgrade

Having done the fronts some time ago the rears were long overdue. I bought a full R34 GTR set sold on the fronts and was left with rears for £150 including a fairly new set of pads.

DBA discs for a 370Z had to be imported from Oz this time as there was no European stock.

I got the callipers refurbed in red to match the fronts, new seals too. Cost £220.

New upgraded master cylinder too (£150)

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Got some white Nismo dials, liked them so much I had to get the clocks to match. Love how they are black and white in the day them when the lights are on the green and red comes through instead of the black.

Tried LED, but preferred the warm glow of a traditional bulb. Tried a carbon trim and chrome rings, but didn't like those either (came with the clocks), so all out, swapped it all around and back it. Very happy with it now.
Great car! I love the white nismo gauges in the dash and the center. Do you mind saying where you got them?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Great car! I love the white nismo gauges in the dash and the center. Do you mind saying where you got them?
I asked Newera to source me some. I think they had some stock, otherwise it's
Yahoo auctions. It's the Japanese version of eBay. Budget at least £500 though for the clocks and £200 for the dials ... probably more now the way prices are going!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Supporting Mods To Go Past 500bhp

Upgraded the fuel pump to a Deatschworks DW300. Fitting kit was not so much of a drop in as i suspected and cable ties saved the day. Not a kit i can recommend i'm afraid, although the pump itself is nice and quite and can handle the fuel demand.

2. Mines MAFs/AFMs

3. Bosch EV14 1000cc injectors from NZEFI with resistor delete. These are excellent. The 550cc injectors i had before were maxing out at 89% duty at 475bhp so needed to go if the power was to go up. There maxed out at 70% duty on 520bhp. They are also extremely smooth at idle. Better than the Denso 550's that were on before, and at £380 inc the resistor an absolute steal for a genuine 1000cc injector rather had a decapped smaller version that looses it's spray pattern advantage.

Attachments

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Genuine Ganador Mirrors - An Accidental eBay Purchase

Saw these on eBay made a cheeky offer and the guy accepted. Bit noisier over standard but i think they look great in the carbon and quality is top notch.

Attachments

·
Banned
15 Posts
Nice build buddy, loving the progression from the start to where it is now. I have a pair of those ganadors on my R33 but I think I prefer the OEM look more!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
The R34 wheels look very different without the hub caps on. Undecided if a prefer it or not. Ordered some red lug nuts to match the calipers.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Dyno Map

Supporting mods done and the Apexi out in favour of the OEM ECU with a Nistune board it was time to get the car to the dyno to see what it can do.

Long story short. It started to develop what sounded like a misfire past 1.5 bar. So didn't record anything past 1.45bar which was around 525bhp at the fly (400awhp). Took the car back to 1.2bar and 475bhp.

Thought it was the coil packs, but after much deliberation found it to be a setting within the boost controller which was tapering down the boost. (I've found the EVC6 colour to be unnecessarily complicated for the casual user) At 1.4 bar the -5 turbos were only just starting to come alive, and at 1.5bar it made 525bhp at around 6000rpm before the boost controller started to drop the power off and the gradient of the graph looked like it was well on its way to meeting 560bhp at 7500rpm.

Needs to go back on the dyno for some fine tuning of some minor mods that i've done since. (Fuel pump ground wire and partitioned boost pipe) So hopefully i'll see what it can actually do this time.

Attachments

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Split Turbo Pipe Polishing

A few catch up bits before the big update.

August 2016 i finally got around to buying a split turbo pipe to reduce the shuffle on the turbos. It was in a bit of a state so decided to polish it .. next time i want anything polished i'll hand it over to a professional!

Attachments

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Coilpacks

During the roll road tune up it felt like the coils were failing past 500bhp.

I tried some VAG coils from Z Tune in Finland. Didn't work. Tried them on a friends R32, didn't work on that either. Car wouldn't even start. Sent it back and got a refund but never got to the bottom of why it didn't work.

So i bought an R32 to R34 loom from Wiring Specialties in the USA. Worked great, eventually one of the 2nd hand R34 coils i had failed and i bought some Splitfires but an all round good package. Also bought an acrylic coil rail from somewhere i forget the name of and ran a couple of extra earths from the battery.

Attachments

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Home Comforts

Added a couple of bits to tidy up the interior here and there.

Cup holders from Unique Auto Creations.

Ashtray replacement holder for the EVC6 made by another forum member.

Finally got around to cutting the internal boot panels, looks tip top, a steady hand required but very happy with the fit and finish.

Steering wheel refurb kit from eBay, very pleased with the result, especially as the wheels itself was a £40 eBay purchase and i have more than enough left to do my other wheel too. I finished it in shiny lacquer but matt finish was also included in the kit ... i'll try that for the other wheel.

Attachments

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
New Engine

To save time I took Zimerquirt up on his very kind offer of the engine that he had been building for one of his cars.

Spec includes:

R34 GTR block with R34 CAS.
Manley forged rods with CP pistons (86.51 mm bore x 73.7mm stroke)
ARP head studs
Tomei baffled sump kit
Cosworth 1.2mm headgasket and ARP head studs.
N1 oil pump with Supertec spline drive kit
King XPS big end shells
HKS Step 1 256 cams
Ported and polished head

All put together and clearanced to nominal blueprint specs.

Attachments

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Well it's been a while since I posted but the car is finally back up and running.

Engine bay as been returned to a more OEM colour. Power is set at 500 at the wheels at 1.4 bar.

Needs a bit more running in before pushing up on the boost. Retained a twin turbo set up, slightly bigger than -5's.

Attachments

41 - 60 of 60 Posts