GTR Forum banner

601 - 620 of 852 Posts

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #603
Why 2 wastegates?

As in why a manifold that required 2?
As has bee mentioned previously on various threads on here and SAU, boost control is more effective with 2 smaller gate's rather than a larger single.

Besides, 2 are more expensive......:chuckle:

TT

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #605
It's also a twin scroll manifold, hard to vent excess pressure from 3 runners which aren't connected to the other 3 using one valve!
Yes, that as well....

:chuckle:

And because 2 are more expensive.... :chuckle:

TT

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #606
Well, managed to find the right fitting by a bit of guesstimation.......

Rather chuffed with myself as I don't have an imperial thread checker and usually end up going through a few fittings before getting the right one...:chuckle:

Having a dilemma about exhaust manifolds but need to make a decision soon and get things moving.....

TT

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #607 (Edited)
So, more going's on today...

Drilled and tapped the water jacket thingy under the throttle bodies....

Took it out to an M12 and used a grub screw I had lying about. I've no need for it so best of getting plugged!!

In a drilling and tapping frenzy, I did the same to the nipple that used to grace the rad top hose elbow......

I've ordered an M12 - AN6 fitting and will use braided hose between here and turbo water outlet.

THEN, I made up a little blanking plate for the rear turbo oil drain hole as I wont be using it any more...

Noticed that my block is an N1. Had a major suspicion about it when I bought the car and this categorically proves it. Certainly looks kosher to me chuckle: :chuckle:

In a fit of nonsense, I changed the water fitting to a stainless one over the aluminium one. So, water and oil feeds and rear turbo drain blank plate....

So that's all the water/oil port stuff done in prep for the hoses and fittings. Just need to decide on a bleedin' manifold!!!

TT

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Well, managed to find the right fitting by a bit of guesstimation.......

Rather chuffed with myself as I don't have an imperial thread checker and usually end up going through a few fittings before getting the right one...:chuckle:

Having a dilemma about exhaust manifolds but need to make a decision soon and get things moving.....

TT
Your not going to do an R32Combat and use copper radiator pipes are you? :chuckle:

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #610
Your not going to do an R32Combat and use copper radiator pipes are you? :chuckle:
No. Is just the same but instead of the dual outlet fitting I have used a single barbed fitting.

After all, it's a car....not a central heating install :chuckle::chuckle:

TT

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Was just looking at post 537, I also want to remove all the crap under the plenum, have you got pics of what exactly is required and what needs to be blanked off?

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #612 (Edited)
Was just looking at post 537, I also want to remove all the crap under the plenum, have you got pics of what exactly is required and what needs to be blanked off?
Suppose it depends on how far you want to take it with regards to your specific application.

I am using a single turbo and so the plenum side on mine looks thus....

Basically all gone, water and vac..... using the water/oil feeds from the other side of the block and the front water return here....

To which I have installed an AN-6 fitting.

Got myself a turbo pre-filter....

Which should provide a bit of extra filtration....

And, if that wasn't enough, I also managed to find an unused, secondhand (genuine) DEI T4 turbo blanket kit for a huge saving from new.....:)

Have decided on a Full-race exhaust manifold so will be placing an order imminently...

TT

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #613
Received these this morning.....

Am in the process of getting shipping quotes from Full Race for a manifold so should have that sorted V soon.....

TT

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #614
Despite me trying to have some resolve here I jumped in and bought Graham1987's Trust 264 9.7 cams :)

Full-Race manifold has a 4 week lead-time so getting these fitted will give me something meaningful to do in the intervening period :chuckle:

These should be a nice compliment to the GT4094 I reckon....

TT

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #617
So, placed my order today for a Full-Race T4 manifold with twin 44mm wastegate flanges and 2000deg ceramic coating.....

:thumbsup:

Can't wait to get it and the turbo on and plumbed in :D.....

TT

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #619
As invariably happens, I was sat the other day with money burning a hole in my pocket so ended up buying a pair of Bi-xenon lights....

Will remove std headlights and make up some carbon or GRP blanks. The near-side one will have a duct incorporated which will provide air to the monster K&N and both will have one of these lights embedded. Had thought about doing this for a while now so pushed the 'buy' button and stopped procrastinating....:)

TT

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #620
Well....... some rather large happenings in the world of Skyline!!...

First off, I received my Xenon lighting kit which, for the money, is frankly amazing!!. Secondly, picked up compressor housing from local welding shop after they fitted my self-made boss...

Did a sterling job as usual (they welded my Ti decat and plenum)!!!

However, there has been a rather large (temporary) change of direction......
This month I planned to buy the Syvecs S8 ECU as well as the Motes CAN keypad and UTC adapter which would have pretty much finished off the (current, pre-mapping) shopping list!. Unfortunately I was presented with an offer that was just too good to refuse and have ended up spending my ECU stash on a share of an aeroplane!!!..

It was just too good an offer to pass up and the GTR has had to suffer the consequences :bawling:. However, I will be saving up once more and the missus has agreed that the ECU money will come out of joint funds in the springtime rather than my own car/hobby stash so good news there...

So, time to contemplate with the GTR until spring I reckon......:rolleyes:

TT

601 - 620 of 852 Posts