GTR Forum banner

61 - 80 of 852 Posts

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Well, after a bit of a lull I have been hard at work.....

Been removing the soundproofing from the cabin area and while not a difficult task is a bit tiresome. Just have to keep chipping away (literally!!)....

Received my Buddyclub rear wing this morning. As soon as delivery chap had dropped it off I was in the garage getting it on...

Now some of you will be aware of my aversion to anything other than the stock wing and N1 lip but I have to say I'm a convert to the wing brigade. The Buddyclub wing is fantastic, VERY adjustable and lightweight for its size. It would appear to sit right in the airflow so will be a useful addition to the car for track work. I've identified that I'm going to have to do something about the bootlid and the way it mounts on the car as the original rubber stops have a fair bit of compression in them. This will obviously reduce the efficiency of the wing as it has to compress the rubber stops before it actually starts to push the back end down.

Fitted my new 34row Mocal oil cooler core....

And my Nismo gear knob...

Have also bought a Sparco suede wheel...

which will be getting fitted to a Works Bell RapfixII boss...

All going well it should be back on the road soon.

TT

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Nice progress, that sound proofing is the worlds biggest arse isnt it....

One question, why have you mounted the oil cooler that way up? normally the inlets would be on the bottom so oil doesnt sit in it? 34 rows is huge!!!

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Love it Scott mate!!!! :) 2 things!!!

Are you any nearer to knowing if you'll be free from work for Le Mans?
And the other is i have the perfect fix/top tip for loose boot lid rubbers!
Ok might sound weird but basically you get those walking stick rubber ends that you get from hardware stores and slip them over the top of your old rubbers! hey presto, takes all movement out of the boot as the new rubbers are deeper! works a treat and costs about 3 quid for 2 of the buggers!
(measure the OD of the standard rubbers and make sure the ID is roughly the same, its better to be a wee bit tigtht than loose! as the nurse said to the vicar :p)
:D
bob

·
Premium Member
7,803 Posts
Now some of you will be aware of my aversion to anything other than the stock wing and N1 lip but I have to say I'm a convert to the wing brigade. The Buddyclub wing is fantastic, VERY adjustable and lightweight for its size. It would appear to sit right in the airflow so will be a useful addition to the car for track work. I've identified that I'm going to have to do something about the bootlid and the way it mounts on the car as the original rubber stops have a fair bit of compression in them. This will obviously reduce the efficiency of the wing as it has to compress the rubber stops before it actually starts to push the back end down.
TT
Good Choice:thumbsup:

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Well, another little update to keep you happy :D...

The interior is now all painted body colour which makes a MASSIVE difference!! Recaro SPG has now given way to a new Corbeau Revolution in red. SPG turned out to be insanely small even for a chap of my modest waistline so it had to go....
Centre console..... in fact EVERYTHING other than the dashpad has been removed and now looks much more 'motorsport'. Secured my Defi controller on a custom bracket and just need to fit my TSC somewhere suitable and within reach.
Managed to get a Rapfix II from Sumopower at a very reasonable price. Normally I wouldnt buy such an item from a UK supplier as they are, 9 times out of 10, FAR more expensive than sourcing from Japan. HOWEVER, this was a clearance item I found on their Ebay store and I was happy with what I paid. Managed to get a HKB boss kit from Ebay which worked a treat!! My Sparco wheel now sits perfectly and can now be removed quickly as I had planned...

Next steps will be...
Fill back up with new fluids.
Get suspension fully aligned.
Get map tweaked as I feel this has been the root cause of my running issues before car was taken off the road last year.
Get bespoke cage fitted.

Then start doing some trackdays :D

I shall take some piccies tomorrow of my progress and post them up....

TT

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Been a bit sidetracked lately..
Decided to pull the rear subframe and get some Driftworks solid subframe bushes.

Original bushes were a bit fubar'd..

Cant see these giving many problems in future :chuckle:...

Although these are advertised as fitting an "R32" they clealrly mean non-GTR as the installed bush heights are different and will require some additional spacers between new bushes and chassis. No biggie really, just a bit disappointed that they dont mention this.

I've decided that since the subframe's off I may as well get some solid diff bushes and some DW rear lower adj arms to complete the job.

Started having impure thoughts about carbon propshafts at this point..

A mate of mine was trying to talk me into having the frame powder coated but TBH I think I'll give that a miss. Will probably just give it a clean up, seam weld it all and add some reinforcement plates just as Al (Lightspeed) has done to his.

Also fitted a DW (they seem to be getting a lot of my cash flung their way recently :D) solid steering bush..

which should give more direct steering. TBH it cant be any worse as the original rubber item was knackered. Should have been a simple half hour at most but with the car being as old as it is all the splines were rusted and it eventually took me the best part of 4 hours in all :(. I noticed that the steering rack mounting bushes looked tired so a set of urethane bushes will sort that out. Tried looking for a solid rack mount everywhere but no joy :confused: If anyone could point me in the right direction I'd be grateful.

In the middle of ripping out all non-essential wiring so it looks like a bit of a dogs dinner inside. Have also secured a carbon bootlid and some aerocatches so that will go on soon :clap:.

Its getting there........:D

TT

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Nice one Scotty! keep it coming mate!
(btw youre a lazy arse not powder coating the subframe!)
;)
bob
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Cheers Bobster!!:D

Been hard at it of late. Removed the O/S/R wheel/hub assy and fabricated a bit of 4mm plate I had lying around. Still to seam along the bottom and tidy up the handbrake cable hole but you get the gist...

Will get the other side done hopefully tomorrow. Will just have to wait until pay day to get the bottom arms and diff bushes.

TT

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Ooow nice work Scotty! Im planning to do the same to mine this winter, did you make up cardboard templates first?
Bob

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,170 Posts
Been a bit sidetracked lately..
Decided to pull the rear subframe and get some Driftworks solid subframe bushes.

Also fitted a DW (they seem to be getting a lot of my cash flung their way recently :D) solid steering bush..

which should give more direct steering. TBH it cant be any worse as the original rubber item was knackered. Should have been a simple half hour at most but with the car being as old as it is all the splines were rusted and it eventually took me the best part of 4 hours in all :(. I noticed that the steering rack mounting bushes looked tired so a set of urethane bushes will sort that out. Tried looking for a solid rack mount everywhere but no joy :confused: If anyone could point me in the right direction I'd be grateful.

In the middle of ripping out all non-essential wiring so it looks like a bit of a dogs dinner inside. Have also secured a carbon bootlid and some aerocatches so that will go on soon :clap:.

Its getting there........:D

TT
I've seen those advertised but haven't gotten round to having a look as to where it sits. Is down by the rack or further up?

Also would love to hear if you think it makes any odds...

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
It'll be a while yet before the car is running so I wont be able to give you any feedback any time soon.
Its located about half way between the bulkhead and the rack. Theres a thread on Driftworks forum telling you how to do it if you need it. I managed without it but all I would say is lather all the joints in penetrating oil a day before you tackle it.

TT

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Ooow nice work Scotty! Im planning to do the same to mine this winter, did you make up cardboard templates first?
Bob
I did as a matter of fact. Welding was OK, not my best work but a bit rusty with the MIG if the truth be told. Saying that, the penetration is good and its done right if not particularly pretty :nervous:.

Cant wait to get the lower rear arms then that will complete the linkage set-up. You have the Ikeya lower arms IIRC dont you?? I seem to remember looking at that 'For Sale' thread and was thinking of buying them but you beat me to them :chairshot:chairshot:p

:chuckle:

TT

·
Registered
183 Posts
Cant see these giving many problems in future :chuckle:...

Although these are advertised as fitting an "R32" they clealrly mean non-GTR as the installed bush heights are different and will require some additional spacers between new bushes and chassis. No biggie really, just a bit disappointed that they dont mention this.
I had the same problem with the solid bushes I bought for my S13. I think they are all the same in that they don't have the extra height of the originals. From what others have said (regarding S13s at any rate), the lower height of the bush will move the subframe closer to the chassis, and raise the roll centre - which is good if the car is lowered.

If you've not already re-fitted the subframe (I know this post is a few weeks on from your last one!) you might want to check the clearance between the chassis and the subframe, particularly the gubbins on top of the diff before you bolt everything back up.

And finally, if the solid bushes are anything like mine, they will be bloody tight on the mounting pins. They might seem ok if you just slip them on individually, but once you put them in the subframe and take into account the inaccuracies in the subframe alignment, you may find you'll have a job getting it back on the car. Getting it off again will be 10x harder. I tried to ream the centre holes out on the ones I had, but it was still way too tight for my liking. In the end DW sent me some poly bushes (DW have excellent customer service :bowdown1:), and I'm much happier with the fit.

HTH mate!

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
I did as a matter of fact. Welding was OK, not my best work but a bit rusty with the MIG if the truth be told. Saying that, the penetration is good and its done right if not particularly pretty :nervous:.

Cant wait to get the lower rear arms then that will complete the linkage set-up. You have the Ikeya lower arms IIRC dont you?? I seem to remember looking at that 'For Sale' thread and was thinking of buying them but you beat me to them :chairshot:chairshot:p

:chuckle:

TT
I do indeed Scott, infact im pretty sure all my suspension arms are Ikeya Formula now! Going to get my new subframes Galvanised soon and start bolting it all together. Al's going to let me take some pics of his subframe mods and I'll get them reinforced with plates like yours before i start.
;)
bob

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Oh by the way Scott get your holidays booked for Next June now, dont want you missing out on another Le Mans!
:D

Fil, any chance you can give me a lesson in MIG welding?
;)
bob

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Bob, you may laugh but next summer's holiday roster is out VERY soon. Rest assured I will be the first to put my name down :).

Fil - Thanks for the input there. I have removed everything from the subframe i.e diff, hub/wheel/shaft assemblies and me and a mate dummy fitted the frame to the chassis. Your right that they are a tight fit but we managed. From the measurements I took, it seems that I will need 12mm spacers between the chassis leg and the solid subframe bushes both front and rear. Also I will need something to take up the 'dead zone' at the bottom of the pins as the threads are MILES away.

Looking good though, going to get myself a high capacity rear diff cover and another few poly bushes for the hub ends of the top camber arm and toe control rods. Managed to get me a set of DW lower camber arms which are the dogs danglies and should be ideal. I also ditched the std ARB links and fabricated my own with a bit threaded rod. Once I have finished the jobs I have on the list for the rear end there wont be a single thing that can be upgraded any further (well, apart from an aftermarket LSD!!).
I shall post up pics soon....

TT

·
Registered
183 Posts
Managed to get me a set of DW lower camber arms which are the dogs danglies and should be ideal. I also ditched the std ARB links and fabricated my own with a bit threaded rod.
TT
I've got some of the DW lower A arms on my S13. They're good bits of kit, but I found the bearings that attach the arms to the subframe are very stiff, even after a goof rew hundred miles. I also fitted rubber boots to both pairs of inner bearings and the outer rose joint to keep any water out. It was bloody hard to get them on but they do stretch quite a lot!

Look forward to you jointing us on nest year's LM trip, although I probably won't see much of you as I am Captain Slow. I usually manage to catch Bob eventually as he can often be found going round and round the next roundabout after getting lost again :p

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Fil your not gonna have an excuse next year with your S13 packing that RB25 punch!!!:clap:
:)
bob

61 - 80 of 852 Posts