GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 247 Posts

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't been on the forum much recently due too getting married and having too much stuff going on. So i thought i would put up a project thread to show you guys what i have been up too.

It carrys on from my reshell thread a while ago. If you want to take a look heres the link:
http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/89486-re-shelling-my-r32-gtr.html

Haven't used the car since last year due to destroying about 4 gearbox's in a little over 1000 miles. :(. So i took it off the road and left it for a year and sold a few bits on.

I Since the last time i used the car the spec has changed a fair bit. Now running:

HKS 264 cams
R34 Getrag gearbox
HKS fcon Pro with 2 step :)
Rota GTR 18 x 9.5 in r33 offsets
R888's
K sport 355 front brake kit.

Big thanks to Abbey Motorsport for getting me and the car back up and running. Great bunch of people and do quality work :thumbsup:

Mark had the car on the dyno for a day and the most it came out with was 535 hub bhp at 1.6 bar. Not bad for a 2 year old engine i built in my garden on stock rods and an oil pump that eat a bearing. lol Car could make more if pushed harder but wheres the point in destroying it. Cant afford to go any further anyway.

Car is still running stock:

Intercooler
Intercooler pipe work
Fuel rail and reg
Rods
Oil pump
Head
Fuel system bar an Tomei in tank pump.

So not bad at all i think :)

Aim is to finally get a 10 sec 1/4 mile run in. So far my best is 11.1 at 133 mph with shocking 60fts of 1.72 due to the big laggy turbo.

Car we still be full weight and be driven too and from the drag strip even if it breaks :chuckle:

Also want to get a few track days out of it next year.

Few pics of it from today

Had to roll the arches to get the wheels to stop rubbing but a good hammer and a heat gun done the trick. lol

Few annoying things left to do. As the car has been sitting for a year all the suspension has gone really squeaky so i will will rebuild each corner and give it all a lick of pint to future proof it.

I have a nasty vibration from either the prop or rear of car when on boost so that will be the first thing to look into

And removed the shocking greddy t78 manifold to get it fixed for the 5th time :(

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
Good to see Han's let you on the PC again. LOL

Cars looking sweet, getting it ready for a summer of fun??

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Looking Shweeeet Jay :D You've still got a bust splitter to collect and bastardise onto your car too :D

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers guys. Yea it's almost ready for some fun. Don't know if I should use It much before the tracks open as I know I will break it before the seasons starts.

A stock gtr 5 speed should take that kind of bhp if you are smooth enought lol.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers guys. Yea it's almost ready for some fun. Don't know if I should use It much before the tracks open as I know I will break it before the seasons starts.

A stock gtr 5 speed should take that kind of bhp if you are smooth enought lol.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Car looks good.

Nice power - shows that with proper thought out mods you don't have to break the bank.

What turbos are you running?

Once my rebuild is complete I intend to get Abbey to map it.

Cheers,

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm on the oldest hks to4r. Lol. Bit laggy but that makes it good on fuel on the motorway lol.

It's basically just weisco pistons, arp conrod bolts with acl racing bearlngs. That's my engine and it has lasted 2 years and over 20000 miles. I built in my garden in gale force winds. Haha. Been set on fire , reved to 8500rpm, 50 to 60 drag runs, been on track with no oil cooler. Lol

Done me well at 600 odd and never had any problems until I put a tripple plate clutch in and destroyed all the gearbox's it has ever met. ;)

Yea mark is a good boy in the dyno room. Well recomend using his services. :)

·
Registered
659 Posts
Hey mate,

I am assuming you have had a lot of issues with your Greddy manifold cracking? Was the turbo braced at all or just hanging off the manifold.

Cheers and good luck,

Mike

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea its a weird one mate.

I have a greddy t78 turbo kit but with a hks to4r put on top????????????. lol.

I took the manifold of a while ago now to get it welded up for pin holes around the turbo flange. The first two guys i took it to missed them all and put so much heat through the flange that it warpped it's tits off. The manifold was welded again and now has no holes in it but i cant find a place to machine the the turbo flange. They can't clamp it down and get the machine into the angle needed to skim it. :(

Yea never had a turbo brace on but its got a bracket welded to the manifold by the external wastegate to brace the manifold off the block ;)

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Squeaky suspension gone. :)

It was the front brake dust sheild. Where i fitted the k sports you have to bend the shield out the way. It was rubbing on the bottom ball joint just slightly. Cut the bit out and jobs a gooden.

Also checked the prop to see if it was damaged and all is good. The only thing that might be causing my heavy load vibration is either my transfer box or rear diff :(

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
Do you want me to have a go an machining the turbo flange?

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Your more then welcome to try mate :)

Dont want it to take all day like when you done the head flange lol

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
I shouldn't be as bad, your flange was very warped and a right git to machine.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok mate.

I will have to sort out a weekend where we can pop over to see the family and get the mainfold done :)

I have been reading on here about my vibration problem. Could it be my propshaft unbalanced as it is made up of an r34 front section and my old r32 rear section?

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You running 4.11 diffs with your R34 box?? Whats it like?
Oh yea. It's crazy mate. Goes through the gears so quick. I guess you Have seen the mines r34 vid. Same as that really. Got the wheels spinning in the dry putting the power down In 3rd. Haha

Well recommend going for a getrag. Slammed it through the gears up to 5th today and it didn't break. Makes alot of noise though with a lightened flywheel. Rattles about on idle. Lol.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Oh yea. It's crazy mate. Goes through the gears so quick. I guess you Have seen the mines r34 vid. Same as that really. Got the wheels spinning in the dry putting the power down In 3rd. Haha

Well recommend going for a getrag. Slammed it through the gears up to 5th today and it didn't break. Makes alot of noise though with a lightened flywheel. Rattles about on idle. Lol.
I have one for my car, so was just wondering what it was like.

You need:
R34 Gearbox
R34 Front Prop
R34 clutch and flywheel
R34 rear prop, the first half of it.

1 - 20 of 247 Posts