GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys
posted this up on socom but forgot to stick it here too doh!

Basically its a work in progress I'm doing. I decided seeing as I'd modelled the car earlier on in the year it may be fun to try and do something quite technical with it. After watching Transformers2 recently i thought I'd have a go at it myself lol!

click on this link below to watch the animation as it stands right now... (qtime mov approx 3mb)
http://www.anthonymcgrath.co.uk/wip/r33gtr_wip/movies/r33transformer03.mov

I just bolted the audio from the first movie into that render and it seems to work quite well I think. Its still a fair way off being done and I plan to do a few shots not just the one and also composite it into the car park around the corner from where I live but i think its quite promising...

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
That is brilliant - very clever! thanks for sharing

works just fine - right click the link "save target as" to download, then run it locally - you'll need quick time or a player that can play quicktime .mov files.

·
Premium Member
3,248 Posts
haha, awesome.. works in VLC player :)

Is the car going to be a decepticon by the look of it ?

I think you should have the car drifting in, stopping for a quick gawp and the car before transforming... :)

What about adding in lightsavers and stuff.. wait, now I'm getting silly :D

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is the car going to be a decepticon by the look of it ?
hehehe you can see that then? Great stuff :thumbsup:

my plan is to do a short 30 second composite. There's a car park round the corner from me I plan to shoot the footage in and I've got an actor (my sisters partner lol!) whom I'm gonna get running through the car park with the gtr drifting behind him. The guy falls over near the exit but the car drifts around him and transforms before him looking down at him. From there he'll get up, run out the car park and be followed out by the robot that turns back into the car lol. I've got it storyboarded out at home. I'll get it scanned in and put it up to see :)

cheers for the kind words guys!

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
Looking really nice;

When you get the full model up just do what ILM did with the actual models, and add the parts you need just make sure they "hide" themselves later if you plan on doing a full transformation.

Pretty obvious that there are lots of "parts" on the T1 and T2 models that have no place at all, just happen to appear and disappear they just integrate them very well.

edit: Would love to see your riggin network to this :D Little things from watching the first vid, lots of twining happening, i guess it depends on how the rig is layed out.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Looking really nice;
When you get the full model up just do what ILM did with the actual models, and add the parts you need just make sure they "hide" themselves later if you plan on doing a full transformation.
Pretty obvious that there are lots of "parts" on the T1 and T2 models that have no place at all, just happen to appear and disappear they just integrate them very well.
edit: Would love to see your riggin network to this :D Little things from watching the first vid, lots of twining happening, i guess it depends on how the rig is layed out.
cheers mate yeah I was having a look at ILM's approaches and quite relieved to find some videos on youtube from a siggraph show and they show how their transformations look like a big old mess from certain angles but from the camera angle they needed they work a treat. I was quite relieved to see that lol!

My rig doesn't transform anywhere near as complexely (if thats a word) as theirs (yet hehehe!), but i think most of the impact is in the little details like for example when optimus pulls up for the first time in T1 and the front grill just pops apart, then concertinas into itself or when they finish transforming but theres just little parts of the character that are still slotting and moving into place.
My rig actually uses the bits I liked from various bots - like ratchets full body 180 degree motion and bumblebees bumper/chest section dropping down over his head - I've kinda borrowed the bits I liked from numerous bits.

I'm in the process of adding 'bespoke' bits at the moment which resemble the car, but will hide or tuck away once in car mode. the rigging skeleton is actually mostly joint chains parented to a simple character skeleton. things like the doors for example are on a 3 bone system and that helps to allow me to keep the doors out the way whilst the rest transforms. I also did things like mirror sections of the bodywork so rotations were the same on both sides yet I can still animate them independently

I'll get some screenshots up of the rig without polys and other bits shortly :)

thanks for all the kind words everyone :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
He hee great suff mate!
;)
bob

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
quick update.. hands for him at last lol!! just need to work some more detail into various areas but its well on its way methinks :) soon be time to start putting a composite together!

·
Registered
5,283 Posts
what software are you using? max, Maya or xsi?

the transforms of the little components make all the difference, the transformers from the movie normally slow the sequence and focus on little bits for a few seconds more

first year i didn't make SIGGRAPH, flipping credit crunch

1 - 20 of 60 Posts