GTR Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
No, logbook has the last four digits of the chassis number on it for the engine. The engine number is 056xxxA on the block. The logbook also says it's a 3.0L, lol. I'll get it sent off and updated. More than likely the DVLA, I know a guy who they were adamant had a 5.2L RX7! I've never seen a quadruple rotary before!? :chuckle:

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Well, I had a looooong chat with Gary, I'm really glad I did as he's a great bloke, that guy can talk for England! :chuckle: I have to say I'm shocked by the cars history, not in a bad way, but what the car has been through! And despite the trouble I've had with the engine, let's just say I won't be in a hurry to sell her any time soon! :D

I also want to offer my apologies to Gary / GT-ART, I honestly had no idea he never originally imported or tuned the car, or just how long she'd been in storage, or why. She'd actually been in storage longer than she's been on the road! :eek:

Blue34: I've PM'd Mook and yourself to get my post edited, as I can no longer edit them myself. Thanks again for Gary's number, I'm glad you corrected me / gave me more information or I'd probably never have spent an hour talking to Gary about my car! Thank you! :D

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Very true. :) Gary thinks it might well have a Mines ECU, I'll have to investigate that further! I could eBay that and get more cash towards the Link ECU. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Hi Sam, thanks for your interest. Unfortunately I no longer have the car, following a massive accident on New Years Eve morning. :(

I was on my way to my parents house having only used the Skyline for a sunny day while I was off work. I'd only done 50 miles on the engine, so needless to say I was going very slowly! As I got about 5 miles away from their house, I came up on some traffic, so I headed a different way, to miss it. I came out of the junction, and yay, no traffic! I went 1/2 a mile up the road, and came to the right / left "kink" near Cressing Temple Barns.

Nothing out of the ordinary there, I wasn't speeding, I know the road very well, the road was dry and it was sunny. The next thing I knew, I was going sideways - I jumped hard on the brakes, opposite lock, nothing worked. I remember thinking "My Dad is going to kill me!" and then heard a loud bang, and then looking around dazed, realising I was trapped, upside down in the car.

The bang was the car hitting a small tree, which then bent over, allowing the car to slide up and over it, effectively rolling the car over. The worst part is I couldn't get out, I was sure I'd broken my right leg, but I could see, hear and smell petrol dripping behind me. Thankfully, an off-duty Policeman and his son found me, and help quickly came.

I had to be cut from the car as the driver side was destroyed. By some miracle my seatbelt buckle broke, which allowed me to be pushed to the middle of the car. I was basically in the one place in the car that hadn't been crushed. By rights, I should have been dead. I was airlifted to Addenbrookes hospital, and sedated for 4 days. The police were preparing to investigate a fatality, and my family were preparing for the worst, as doctors didn't think I was going to make it.

My injuries were (and are) very severe. I had contousions and bruising to the heart and lungs, internal bleeding, a double open fracture of my right femur, and worst of all, my hip smashed through my pelvis, destroying my pelvic cup in the process. Other than that, minor stuff like cuts from glass to my face legs and hands were the least of my worries. I was in hospital for 2.5 months, and only came out on St Patricks day. I still can't walk properly, and need a walking frame, or more recently, crutches. I now have a 10" scar down my chest, scars on my leg, knee and hip. 147 staples held me together, along with 14 stiches, and I now have a metal rod in my femur held in by 4 screws. I had my hip & pelvis relocated and rebuilt by some of the best surgeons in the UK\Europe, and it is now held together with a traction wire. I was in traction for 6 weeks, and as I was bed bound for nearly 2 months, I now have foot drop (where the nerves & muscles have become lazy.)

What caused the accident you ask?

A nail through my driver side rear tyre.

Yes, as simple as that. The police investigated the accident, and found my rear tyre had picked up a massive nail, which had deflated it to around 10psi. Now, I'd checked all my fluids and tyres before leaving home that morning, and found nothing wrong! I had followed a car & trailer (loaded with junk) when I avoided the traffic prior to this, so I don't know if he dropped something, or if it happened on the corner, but it was apparently "a freak accident". The car felt fine prior to this happening, so I had no clue something could be wrong. The police said they knew I wasn't speeding either (50mph B road) due to there being no skidmards or "speed related evidence" and I know that was true, as I was too paranoid about running in my new engine!

Despite all that, I consider myself lucky, as my girlfriend was meant to be in the car with me, but she wanted to meet me at my parents after getting changed and showering. I have no doubt that we'd both be dead had she been in the car, there simply wouldn't have been room for the two of us. :( Needless to say, I am absolutely gutted. Not only have I lost my car, I've lost money, and have life changing injuries. But I am thankful to have my life, I know I used more than my fair share of luck and lives to get out alive, but how much bad luck can you get in one go!?

Had the tyre gone 50 yards further up the road, I would have ended up in a field instead, most likely ok bar a few paintwork scratches. As it is though, the car was scrapped, they wanted £3500 for the salvage, and with such massive damage, no certainty my engine was ok, plus getting someone to break the car, it just wasn't worth it. Besides, I don't think anyone would want my leather with my blood over it. :(

BUT!

I do have some good news, I proposed to my girlfriend from my hospital bed, and she said yes! After 7 years, and nearly dying, I thought now might be a good time, lol. ;)

I can't drive yet, due to my leg & foot, but I WILL be back in another white R33 GTR, I never got to experience the potential of my engine build, so I'll be doing the same again. I want to rebuild 'Maxine', I know it'll take time and money, but it'll give me something to think about while I'm recovering!

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Really sorry to read about your accident, certainly makes you think about speeds and things beyond your control which can happen in a split second :(
Glad to hear you're recovering and congrats on the engagement news :)
Look forward to reading the next project thread as I did this one.

Cliff

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Really glad you are ok sounds like it could of gone the other way. as said above cars can be replaced people cant.

Tib

(ps white 33's rule :thumbsup:)

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
wow, sorry to hear that..

main thin is your ok and in the future you will have another GTR, congtrats to you and your wife.

il be looking forward to seeing updates on your new gtr when you get it.

in the mean while get well soon and look on the briht side cars can always be replaced but we humans cant ;-)

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Thanks for the support guys, I honestly do appreciate it. :)

It has been a difficult few months, although things are getting slowly better. I can't put into words how much I miss the car. The noises she made, the smell of the leather, the 'GTR Grin' she put on my face by just the mere though of "I'm a Skyline owner!" each time I looked at, or drove her. Finding more out about her history, and having a rebuild so soon into my ownership just made me love her more, it feels like I've had an old friend taken away from me in the most violent way possible. :(

I was supposed to be at the 'Ring with her this week, but I'm not fit enough yet to endure a long drive like that, besides, it just wouldn't be the same not being able to drive myself, let alone without my GTR. People say things happen for a reason, but other than my engagement, I'm struggling to find anything "good" out of this!

I just want to get back behind the wheel of a GTR again, and being the impatient bastard I am, that can't come soon enough!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
So sorry to read this. I hope you make a good recovery and get back into a GTR soon.

All the best mate :thumbsup:

21 - 40 of 44 Posts