GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, as some of you may know, the brakes failed at the end of this track day, and my Skyline is no more :bawling:

But despite a misfire and running low boost, we still had 50+ laps of fun on our last outing, including a few 58s and under laps :smokin:

Vid 100MB - Right Click & Save As Please

Bye Bye Ciao Ciao :bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

Rog

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah - I'm gutted :bawling:

She's going to be broken for spares...

Now I understand why there are tyre walls, crumple zones, race seats with harnesses etc...

Luckily Russ and I are uninjured, if a little battered & bruised...

I did get a new P.B. lap time of 58s though :D :chairshot

http://www.lancerregister.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=1231109

Cheers :)

Rog

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
Gutted..

Any idea why the brakes failed??

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just over-heated...

I had been getting fade towards the end of 10 laps or so, and would come in to let them cool, and the oil temps etc go down a bit...

On the last session, I felt them fade a little, but had just over-taken my m8 in his EVO, so though "just one more lap"...

On the third corner, which happens to be the slowest, braking from 120mph to 35mph, I had no brakes at all...

Brain-fade as well as brake fade to blame, I'm afraid...

Rog :)

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
what a shame:(

there was also no way of using the handbrake then? to try and drift it away from impact orso?

what about the insurance:(

the best wishes mate:(

edit: you got it in 58's in the wet>?!

·
Registered
179 Posts
:bawling: :bawling: :sadwavey:
Why not going for another track car ?
Pick all the parts you can and put them in another car, and put a STRONGER braking system on it, with cooling vents.

Try Yokoban :) they are really :bowdown1:.

·
Real men use a H-Pattern.
12,037 Posts
Ouch! I know how you feel Rog. It's only a car and at least you weren't hurt.

When I did it at the 'Ring, I only had grass bank or Armco to hit - what a choice. lol

Is that front end enough to total the car though? Insurance?

Nice vid by the way.

·
Registered
65 Posts
what brakes are you running? or were.

was it the usual skyline story....run 600 bhp on std discs and uprated pads?

can't really see from the pics.

brakes and suspension really transform a skyline into a useful track car.

but even with 400 bhp, 1540 kgs to haul, then another 150 odd with driver and passenger it is a lot to ask from even 4 pots!

I learnt the hard way in my old 33 with bad fade at silvertsone but at least some there

main thing is you are ok and you can get sth back from breaking it!

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the comments Guys :D

I was running R33 calipers with two piece discs, race pads, braided lines, racing fluid and brake cylinder stopper, but as said above, stopping 1500kg from 120 to 30 lap on lap isn't easy...

This car has cost me way too much this year, so I'm breaking it to recoup some cash...

Still have my wee EVO to play in so all's not bad...

http://www.rog.me.uk/MLR Scottish Sprint.wmv

http://www.rog.me.uk/Nurburgring 2006 835lap.wmv

Can see myself returning to Skyline-land sometime, though :D

Cheers :)

Rog

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Rog - gutted for you mate. Such a shame.

Glad to hear you and your passenger are ok though.

·
6,821 Posts
Regards to you Rog
Had the same pain last year, looked about the same-front damage . . .
Most important is nobody got hurt.:)

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
As Daz says... gutted for ya... Hopefully it won't be too long until you're back out on track having fun

Rog - gutted for you mate. Such a shame.

Glad to hear you and your passenger are ok though.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Bloody hell Rog - sorry to hear that mate :eek:
I did exactly the same at Brands a while back in my GTST although i was lucky and went into a huge gravel pit & broke nothing.
The problem is you do get used to only having 70% then 50% then 30% brakes & can compensate but when suddenly it's nothing it's luck of the draw.

Hope it all works out ok - John

Just over-heated...

I had been getting fade towards the end of 10 laps or so, and would come in to let them cool, and the oil temps etc go down a bit...

On the last session, I felt them fade a little, but had just over-taken my m8 in his EVO, so though "just one more lap"...

On the third corner, which happens to be the slowest, braking from 120mph to 35mph, I had no brakes at all...

Brain-fade as well as brake fade to blame, I'm afraid...

Rog :)

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Rog, sorry to hear about the car...must be gutting. Cracking vid though...track manners are most gentleman like! Towards the end, wow, fair play...you were throwing it about somewhat...50 laps of that? That is punishment! I'm amazed your brakes lasted that long to be honest. I haven't much track experience but what I noticed is the huge gulf between a 'fast road set up' that doesn't fade during normal driving and then completly goes to pot on a track. That vid makes me want to get my R32 on the track...but I'm pragmatic....oil cooler required...baffled sump required AND some serious brakes. Else...I know within 10 laps it would be armco, water viscosity for oil or crucified main/big end bearings

BTW, did that EVO owner not notice (I guess) that his turbo was completely shot??

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I think Jamsie's mechanic put some 0w10 oil in his EVO :eek: :chairshot

Even with 7l sump, cooler, ducting etc my oil temps were still going up a bit (max about 120C, unlike my EVO which runs 135+C :eek: ), so I tended to do 5-10 laps at a time...

Yeah - the driving at most track days up here is pretty respectful - it's not a race after all ;) :chuckle:

The stress on a car of tracking it is pretty immense and the consumable costs huge, but I'm a bit addicted...

Rog ;)

1 - 20 of 51 Posts