GTR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am now looking at a 2.9L that will be out in Jan/feb 2007...it has a 88mm bore and a 79mm stroke. Is that pretty good? I am trying to get as much torque and engine displacement as possible without giving up too much.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I would only go for a 2.7 so i dont sacrifice potential revs, if you want outright discplacement you can rev a 3.1 RB 30 to 10k or so with the right crank

Pope

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
wow...10,000 rpm even on a RB31? now see the thing is I am buying a Nismo GT block from someone in japan. I would love to have a custom stroker kit but the company I want to get it from someone told me not to go with them because 14 weeks (the time it will take to make the kit) will turn into 6-9 months....is it possible to have someone get me a custom stroker kit?

·
Registered
477 Posts
Do you want revs or power? the 3.1 will do 10k for 1300 miles or so on full boost with right crank, changing the oil very frequently etc etc. not as interesting noise wise as an RB27 but monster torque

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
haha...ok...I want torque and rev...but I guess I can only have one of the two. and one of the things that attracted me to the skyline GT-R is the engine sound...and if the RB31 doesnt sounds as sweet as the lower displacement then I dont want it. I can find some other way to get torque (hopefully).

·
Registered
366 Posts
I think someone down the road has mislead you dude, its torque up high in the rpm that makes you fast, not displacement induced low end grunt. that just shreds tires and trannys..

Go with your 2.9L and proper turbos with the Vcam you want and it will blow your mind. So much torque uptop youll lose traction going into 4th im sure.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
puha...true...didnt think of it that way. with the help of everyone here on the GTR UK I will be the best GT-R.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I am also looking forward to the realese of this kit.

orking on a 2.9L (88mm bore x 79mm stroke), but it will not be available
until Jan-Feb 2007.

Pricing depends on the style of rods, but in the neighborhood of $5000usd w/BC Pro
Series (1500HP rating) or $5800 if Carrillo rods desired.

BC 4340 billet steel crankshaft.
BC 4340 Econo or Pro Series steel billet rods w/ARP 220,000 psi fasteners.
CP aluminum forged pistons (any bore size, any compression ratio).
9310 nickel carbon steel alloy wrist pins.
Ductile iron plasma top rings, tapered second ring, low tension oil rings.
Fully system balanced and ready to install.

88x79 gives you 2.883 L so i think it would be much safer to go 87x79 for a 2.818L
2.9 is pushing it.

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
what's so bad about the OS Giken 3 liter kit? why reinvent the wheel?

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well the guys at Brian Crower tell me 88mm bore and 79mm stroke is fine. I have to go with the flow when it comes to bore and stroke. most things I can figure out on my own but with this I have to get help...plus I dont want the OS RB30 anymore because it will delay my project since it is a made to order part. Its not like off the shelf like most performance parts.

·
Registered
500 Posts
as much as no one usually wants to say it we all have a cheap part inside of us as well.
If i can get a 2.9L for 5k usd i will be very happy.
i just can't justify 10k more for .1L or .2

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
as much as no one usually wants to say it we all have a cheap part inside of us as well.
If i can get a 2.9L for 5k usd i will be very happy.
i just can't justify 10k more for .1L or .2
exact...could have said it better.:chuckle: :flame:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts