GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My third set of garrett gt2860's arrive on monday and im allready thinking they are gona blow like the last two sets :eek:

The last two sets blew because of oil starvation,its a long story but a n1 oil pump failed and i needed a engine rebuild since the rebuild ive gone through 4 turbos.

Thanks to ron kidell i now have new oil feed lines and banjo bolts to fit on the car before the turbos are fitted.

When the car is cranked over oil is coming out the block so that looks good im just wondering whether any one has had similar bad luck?

Im still running the car in and the revs havent been over 4k,am i being a big pussy or should everything be allright ?

cheers john

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
My third set of garrett gt2860's arrive on monday and im allready thinking they are gona blow like the last two sets :eek:

The last two sets blew because of oil starvation,its a long story but a n1 oil pump failed and i needed a engine rebuild since the rebuild ive gone through 4 turbos.

Thanks to ron kidell i now have new oil feed lines and banjo bolts to fit on the car before the turbos are fitted.

When the car is cranked over oil is coming out the block so that looks good im just wondering whether any one has had similar bad luck?

Im still running the car in and the revs havent been over 4k,am i being a big pussy or should everything be allright ?

cheers john
Im guessing you own a 32?

·
Registered
224 Posts
make sure you are in a good clean inviroment when installing the turbos and its lines, when installed and you are starting up first time I suggest you unplug all injectors so the car wont fire.

Crank the engine for 2x8 seconds then you are sure you've got a proper amount of lubrication in the bearings of the turbos.many people just start right up´and then the turbo shafts starts spinning inntially with only assembly oil.

Good luck getting above 4000 Rpm

Nicolas K

·
R35 Section manager
11,165 Posts
Take it you have done most of the work yourself?:p

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
That seems to happen with 32s alot, havent seen it happen with any other model. same happened to me aswell. cant remember what it was, something that nissan later fixed in the later models.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The engine was rebuilt by a well known rebuilder,r33 crank h formed rods,forged pistons etc.

I fitted the second set of turbos the third set is being fitted by a local garage.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Could it be the very small hole in the fitting that screws into the oil gallery

·
R35 Section manager
11,165 Posts
The engine was rebuilt by a well known rebuilder,r33 crank h formed rods,forged pistons etc.

I fitted the second set of turbos the third set is being fitted by a local garage.

Thats not good if you have used a pro.:rolleyes: Is your local garage performance car friendly?? Other wise I would call Abbey:cool:

·
Registered
6,051 Posts
Is this the problem with oil return or feed restrictors in these ? I have heard a of this before im sure...

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I hope so paul,thats why im replacing all the lines and bolts.
The bolt that joins the oil feed to the block needs drilling out to supply enough oil for the bigger Turbos. The new bolt may still have a hole thats too small

·
Registered
6,051 Posts
I knew it was something like that, Its sure a tricky one, I can understand why people would be caught out by this, Even some garages...

So im guessing that they work for a while before they start showing signs of extreme wear then ?

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
haha,and i thought my rx-7 was unreliable.

this time the the guy i bought the car off and rebuilt the engine is paying.

i would hate to reveal what the car has cost me so far,i could have nearly bought a r34 gtr with the price of the car and everything else ive paid.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Gtr rgt:

yes I built everything single thing myself,I build engines,porting heads,cam selection and adjustment testing,ecu mapping,suspension setup and all the usual trick stuff you find out as you go along :)

At the moment Im doing a pretty serious maintenance 2006/07.Painting/clearcoating alot of parts,chroming,polishing,anodizing various things and Ive built a Kismo spec pair of headlights that will blow you away haha, they look awesome.I will post all photos on my site when Im done.

Check out my site KISMO under photos then you can see the various build up's.

Nicolas K

1 - 20 of 26 Posts