GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mate Dave (a long term lurker who doesn't post lol) has just picked up a nice 09 plate in white, almost stock apart from a new gearbox a couple of months ago which warranty direct paid for at 20k lol, and a Milltek Y pipe. FNSH from Bournemouth, never been anywhere else. Previously owned by a guy in his 60's who only ever drove it in auto, and averaged 24mpg :)

Anyway, I thought my MY13 (with Y pipe) would be noticably quicker, but they're just about neck and neck, mine gaining about a cars length over a spirited 1/2 mile or so.

I know mine's not down on power because it feels slightly quicker than my previous MY11 GT-R which was about neck and neck with Dean Kenny's stage 1 car.

So, any ideas why Dave's 09 standard car is so quick? He was planning on going stage 1 but the way I see it there's no point because it's already that quick.

Any other stock 09/10 owners have similar experience?

He's chuffed anyway, aren't you Dave? C'mon you can speak now... :)

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
That trip on the bypass to Dorchester, you know I was on the Road map, which is standard ;) Not the full 570bhp Race map.

It is true though, on the meet in London just before Crimbo, there was a little hoon and my 59 was pulling away from a stock 13 plate, but I was on Race map that day, so might make sense. But I assumed a stock 13 plate was near on power with Stage 1.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Despite the cars age and the power difference between the two cars they will remain pretty neck a neck to a degree..... A single car length over 1/2 a mile is a pretty big gap to be fair!

There's only about 80bhp difference and not a huge difference in torque so I would expect them to be pretty even.

·
Registered
9,091 Posts
If you launch the two, the later launch control sets the two apart from the start but if rolling, the difference is much less pronounced.

A remapped early car should be more than a match for the higher power later cars when not launching.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for replies guys.

That trip on the bypass to Dorchester, you know I was on the Road map, which is standard ;) Not the full 570bhp Race map.
Strange, just assumed you'd be on the map which gave you the best chance.

So what does the difference feel like in real terms between maps? Worth bothering for Dave or not?

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Thanks for replies guys.

Strange, just assumed you'd be on the map which gave you the best chance.

So what does the difference feel like in real terms between maps? Worth bothering for Dave or not?
The best chance? I didn't know you were going to hoon it on the bypass lol
If you said before we left Weymouth I would have switched to Race mode beforehand. I did used to leave it on road map all the time until I wanted a blast for mpg purposes, then I thought bugger it so now I just always leave it in race map :)

Now he's got his car, when you guys popping to Weymouth next, it's a lovely day today here, pop on down ;)

As for the difference, the only thing I really notice is the first bout of acceleration definately feels more brutal on the Race map, everything else feels similar.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hopefully soon, but bad news today, Dave's car developed the infamous steering lock 'yellow key warning' problem, so now it won't start. Real bad luck for him, only had it 3 days, hopefully the Bounemouth NHPC will sort it FOC as it's got FSH from there from new.

·
Registered
247 Posts
After going to Spa and Cadwell park with Pulsarbobby recently, we noticed that there is not much difference between his stage 4 and my stage 1 (both 09 cars).

It has certainly convinced me not to put money into the power upgrades. Much better spent on things like brakes and suspension, and maybe a set of track wheels and tyres!

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
After going to Spa and Cadwell park with Pulsarbobby recently, we noticed that there is not much difference between his stage 4 and my stage 1 (both 09 cars).

It has certainly convinced me not to put money into the power upgrades. Much better spent on things like brakes and suspension, and maybe a set of track wheels and tyres!
I personally found the stage 4 that bit more edgy as it's trying to put the extra power/torque down.

After my stage 4 I went stage 2 on the next car and it was less edgy and easier to drive.

I have no doubt the stage 4 is quicker in a straight line, I could certainly feel the difference.
But at lower stages of tune the power/torque doesn't overwhelm the traction when making steering inputs and going for it.

At stage 4, getting on the power early exiting a corner meant the car shuffled the power around, trying to put it down.
At stage 2 it just went.

Overall I believe stage 4 is a good upgrade, but it just takes the car past what it's electronics are designed to handle, so they interfere more.
Meaning you have less confidence to get on the power early.

I've done Silverstone with stage 4 cars and there was very little difference in the real world.

If you are a great driver and go at it with traction control off the 4 is going to be faster, but for most of us I think the 2 is pretty much just as quick.

... waits to be told otherwise... :chuckle:

·
Registered
247 Posts
Good point, that is what we were finding. With settings in race, I could exit the corners quicker and get the power down a lot easier with my stage 1 than bob could with stage 4.
He was really suffering with the traction control kicking in.

We both have the 100 map which turns it completely off but didnt have the b%%locks to turn it off round Cadwell.

I still think you could invest the money better into other aspects of the car which would better increase lap times

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
Good point, that is what we were finding. With settings in race, I could exit the corners quicker and get the power down a lot easier with my stage 1 than bob could with stage 4.
He was really suffering with the traction control kicking in.

We both have the 100 map which turns it completely off but didnt have the b%%locks to turn it off round Cadwell.

I still think you could invest the money better into other aspects of the car which would better increase lap times
That's why I spend more on brakes than anything else.
With the Alcon BBK, litchfield suspension and stage 2 my MY11 was rather quick and well balanced. It didn't try to bite me either.
Good fun, probably shouldn't have sold that one...

·
Premium Member
3,024 Posts
That's why I spend more on brakes than anything else.
With the Alcon BBK, litchfield suspension and stage 2 my MY11 was rather quick and well balanced. It didn't try to bite me either.
Good fun, probably shouldn't have sold that one...
+1
Do the brakes and suspension before anything else.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hi its the newbie dave lol, cars all sorted now thanks to trevgtr turned out to be the tracker stopping me from starting the car.

·
Premium Member
3,733 Posts
Agreed CT and John. My MY10 Stage 4.25 did rolling start on autobahn at around 70 MPH with sidepipe behind me and flat to the floor up to well, a lot of MPH, there was pretty much nothing in it at all.

Sounded good though.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I had a good old fashioned blast with a MY13 in my 59 plate... my motor is stock except a Y-pipe and alcon brakes..... I pulled away from him slowly in a straight line and off roundabouts I was putting a car length or 2 between us.

His words " sh! T thats quick!! - sounds nice too"

Bizarre!! As I was considering nothing more than stage 2 in the future.
Don't think I'll bother now.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Maybe it's all just Nissan marketing hype, and in reality the early models have just the same BHP as the later models, haha.

stix, what boost is your stock 59 running at? My stock 13 is running at approx 13.5 psi.

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
Maybe it's all just Nissan marketing hype, and in reality the early models have just the same BHP as the later models, haha.

stix, what boost is your stock 59 running at? My stock 13 is running at approx 13.5 psi.
I believe the 485 models made a smidge over 500.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts