GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hola gents.......

My GTR alloys appear to have the softest paint known to man. They are flakey and have odd marks actually inside the alloy i.e.; behind the spokes both front and back wheels have similar issues.

I took it to Nissan yesterday who told me they are stone chips. I refused to accept that and I am going to see the warranty manager on Monday, but, has anyone else had similar issues or noticed their own MY17 alloys to be flaking?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Had mine 9 months and haven't seen that... mine gets the once-over every 2 weeks at my local detailer but nothing you describe has shown up (yet!)... good luck with warranty discussions though! :(

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Had mine 9 months and haven't seen that... mine gets the once-over every 2 weeks at my local detailer but nothing you describe has shown up (yet!)... good luck with warranty discussions though! :(
Fingers crossed, I guess.

The car is well treated/maintained. All surfaces coated with GTechniq CS Black+EXO3 as well as wheels.

I'll try and put up some pics when I get a chance later!

·
Vendor
6,180 Posts
Had mine since March and to be honest I personally thought completely the opposite to your unfortunate experience, I found the paint finish extremely good quality on the wheels. Sorry to hear about your experience hopefully they'll sort it out, keep us posted

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would take a close inspection of the effected wheel, flakey wheel paint sounds more like they have been scuffed at the dealership and a quick paint repair has been made? Could be wrong but Ive 30 years motortrade experience ;-)
If it were a single alloy I'd tend to agree and probably not be as annoyed but it's all of them.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Need photo's really, it could be normal, they do have fluctuations under the paint finish. The spokes and outside inch of rim are normally perfect.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I forgot to update this...

Underwhelming response from Nissan HPC really. The warranty manager informed me that the damage was stone chips as the wheels are 'open to the elements' -- It's sadly very hard to picture :(

Essentially there are marks/scuffs/scrapes on the alloys in locations where I'd find it very difficult for a stone to get to especially at the sort of angles of the scrapes etc. There are a horrendous amount of stone chips as well -- which is sad!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
buy some aftermarket wheels and burn the standard ones on the doorstep of you NHPC to prove a point!
LOL - don't tempt me. I'm surprised I'm the only one noticing but the paint on them really looks to be shit. The car & the wheels. The stone chips are a nightmare ( on the car ) -- Part of me wishes I had went for PPF now.

·
Vendor
6,180 Posts
LOL - don't tempt me. I'm surprised I'm the only one noticing but the paint on them really looks to be shit. The car & the wheels. The stone chips are a nightmare ( on the car ) -- Part of me wishes I had went for PPF now.
I have to agree the paint is thin on the car and chips very easily, I managed to get a very good friend of mine who sells and mixes paint to make a touch for the katsura orange which believe it or not isn't available from the dealers. I just touched up the chips on mine today. What a nightmare.... Wish I'd ppf'd mine also

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
That's interesting, the 3 month old orange one I looked at in Westover Nissan was stone chipped as well. Is it just coincidence or is orange that soft, surely not?

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
My car is having its eighth birthday at the end of September. 42k miles. Still on original alloys with original paint. Only a couple of minor blemishes. Still perfectly respectable.

Shitsan are a ****ing den of *****. **** em

·
Registered
36 Posts
Same here...Already 3 stone chips though minor on Katsura orange paint. Few scratches on the wheels also. Doing a complete wrap in few days.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I had my MY16 wrapped in PPF by Paul at PW Pro as soon as I bought it. It's Expel and you can see the odd blemish now and again which would have been a stone impact. They soon disappear though. I've counted about 6 so far, so the PPF has saved me a fortune already.

I'll be fitting PPF to all cars I buy in the future.

·
R35 Section manager
10,644 Posts
I suspect the orange paint is just showing up the stone chips more as the paint has never been great on the 35

1 - 20 of 20 Posts