GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

Not quite the 'new member' post I'd like to be posting!

My name is Josh - got my R35 October last year from new. It's a Storm White MY17 registered in 2018 hence the 68 reg.

Went from stock to stage 4.25 at 3,000 miles and unfortunately about 5 weeks ago I threw a rod at 13,069 miles on the A12. I was in traffic and then went WOT in 2nd gear as the traffic cleared and it went bang :puke:

I want to state that I haven't/won't be putting blame on the original tuner/workshop. These cars do have weak rods and I've heard through the grape vine that potentially the MY17's might have a weaker bottom end than previous gens. No facts to back that up though! I always thought "I'll be fine, it won't happen to me..." :eek:

5 weeks on, and with a lot of help from the guys in GTR Cartel, I'm only a couple of weeks away from my car being rebuilt. I chose to go to Litchfield for the rebuild and Iain has been great to deal with.

Funds are obviously tight with the repairs being the most important thing, however it would be illogical/a shame to just put the engine back to stock whilst it's out! I've opted to go stage 4.5 with forged conrods, Litcho Superstock intercooler, and the other hardware associated with stage 4.5 (fuel pumps etc). The mod bug is still here haha! Also opted to go for Litcho's crazy loud 102 race system (no silencers at all) :smokin:

Been an extremely stressful few weeks after the engine failed. Enjoy the aftermath pics... makes me feel sick whenever I see them! Definite rod failure. The new build will be much stronger and more reliable - can't wait for it!

·
Premium Member
7,635 Posts
There's been a number of stage 4.25 engines grenading from a variety of tuners. There's even been a few stock cars too.

Don't be too quick to point the finger of blame at the tuner.

We know from 10+ years of experience with this platform that rod integrity is variable and factors such as driving style, fuel quality etc can play as big a factor in rod failure.

To the OP glad you're taking it well and enjoying the rebuilding. It can be a very exciting prospect albeit expensive.

·
Premium Member
3,299 Posts
Welcome to the forum Josh, sorry to hear about the engine failure but it will be in good hands now Iain***8217;s team are working on it.
I***8217;m sure the guys on here would be interested in seeing a few pictures of your race car.
It would probably be a good move getting joined up with the GTR Drivers Club which use this forum as their main contact media, it***8217;s only £15 a year.

·
Vendor
6,275 Posts
Not blaming anyone but just curious to know because that shouldn't be happening to such a new car unless either it has abused the shite out of or not set up correctly, i don't believe for one second that if driven sensibly and maintained correctly that a stock car would go pop, I've had five now and always bought very well looked after examples or new and thank God never experienced any of theses issues, and when my cars were modified they were done by Litchfields and were set up safely and i was always advised by iain that my cars were easily capable of more power on the setup but he wouldn't recommend it because it wasn't safe in his opinion and i trust his judgement and advice and he's been spot on. Some tuners try to impress the people by squeezing every little bit out of engine and that's when it becomes dangerous.

·
Premium Member
904 Posts
Eyup Rodney

·
Premium Member
5,844 Posts
my CBA stage 4.25 for 2 years then went pop, got it forged and its been fine

i think the higher stages aka 4+ do put a lot more strain on the rods over time, so it's less noticeable as there no warning! just Booom!

My advice , go stage 4+ go forged! An extra 150/200+bhp/150/200lbft+ (depending on year) 30+% power increase! power WILL add a fair bit of extra stress on stock components, it's a fact!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Sad to hear about engine failure in your car. Good call to bite the bullet and get the new engine forged.
Wish you the best and hope you get to Enjoy your beast soon!

·
Registered
280 Posts
I think I would cry!! Mine is sitting at 33k with being stage 4.25 for around 10k miles I need to get it forged soon!

Sounds like you will be back up and running in no time at all :D

·
Registered
649 Posts
I think I would cry!! Mine is sitting at 33k with being stage 4.25 for around 10k miles I need to get it forged soon!

Sounds like you will be back up and running in no time at all :D
I wouldn't forge it Kieran unless you want more power, keep it well serviced and don't stress it with wot at low revs in high gears

·
Vendor
1,825 Posts
It***8217;s a well known fact of the issues arising from tuning these lumps, ticking time bomb.
Regardless I am sure Litchfields will do a good job of putting it all right and hope you get back on the road soon.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Sorry to hear about your engine going pop, but I like the fact that you're taking it on the chin and moving on. Materially increasing the power output of a car carries increased risk of failure and you seem fully aware of that. I've read a lot of similar threads over the years on other sites and it's surprising the number similar people that weren't!

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I think the thread title is inaccurate and misleading, if anything it should read "Highly tuned MY17 engine fails"

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,295 Posts
engine

I think the thread title is inaccurate and misleading, if anything it should read "Highly tuned MY17 engine fails"

yes and also launched regularly every day constantly and pops,bangs, aswell every where!!

·
Premium Member
1,295 Posts
engine

yes and also launched regularly every day constantly and pops,bangs, aswell every where!! what do you expect ???

·
Vendor
6,275 Posts
Abuse will kill anything, some guys think just because its a gtr that the engine is bullet proof.. Everything has limits and parameters

1 - 20 of 50 Posts