GTR Forum banner

81 - 100 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
I see that you need a vin number to sign up for it but the GT-R isn't included in the drop down list.

I've downloaded the app too but the reviews were horrific!
Ah I didn't know that......

Guessing then I think they might be offering something like BMW ConnectedDrive where you have a little app to do random crap on your car with?

TynemouthGTR can probably better answer! :)

·
Registered
9,073 Posts
It seems to be that kind of thing. Almost like their own version of carplay where they add apps over time.

Not entirely sure how they make the car compatible with new apps without a software update, unless they are just providing a compatible version within their app hosted on the phone that then transmits to the car via their protocol over bluetooth - that makes sense I suppose.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Can anybody tell me whether the My17 still loves to tramline like my My15? I've only ever driven on the oem run flats but I'm just curious...I know that sounds strange as I should take possession of my new My17 by next week, but as I use hand controls I haven't had the opportunity to test drive one!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Ah I didn't know that......

Guessing then I think they might be offering something like BMW ConnectedDrive where you have a little app to do random crap on your car with?

TynemouthGTR can probably better answer! :)
Indeed it flashes up Nissan Connect but it's in no way as "connected" as we might have hoped! Certainly not the version that the Juke, Qashqai et al get. No Apple CarPlay or Android Auto.

So far I've been able to do the following which is enough for me:
- Via Bluetooth to my iPhone, use Spotify and have typical play/pause/rwd/fwd options available via MFD. Album art appears too.

- Via USB cable connected to USB1 or USB2 to my iPhone, use iTunes and have the same as above via MFD as well as browsing genre/artist/song/album etc. Again, album art appears too.

- Able to browse all phone contacts to make calls, but no way to check messages (like i could with Mercedes Command system), let alone WhatsApp messages....and as for the apps for the phone, got in touch with Nissan and while there's some functionality for the newer Connect software, there's bugger all for the GT-R's version, hence no drop-down to select it on the app, even if you have your VIN entered.

That's about it really... I've got Mi-Fi hotspot in car (for remotely checking my Blackvue cameras) but can't yet find any way to get Nissan Connect to actually connect to the Wi-Fi to improve any features!

If anyone finds any enhancements to the above when using their Nissan Connect on their GT-R, I'm all ears! :D

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
Agree, definitely the favoured option, same as my current Golf. As you are seemingly the nominated forum test bed for the new tech can you help in any of my current curiositities?!!:clap:

The apps/connect services? Just curious of the iphone compatibility and requirements. I guess as it's not full blown Carplay that only certain apps that will display on the MFD, does it work well? I understand the iPhone must also be usb connected not just bluetooth for this to work? iMessage or Whatsapp messages available on the screen?

Not sure if you've completed the optimisation yet but have you tinkered with the exhaust valve button, if so much difference?

This active noise cancellation, do you notice anything? The manual says the speakers and sub will generate a noise cancelling errr, noise (they say sound) to minimise engine booming, ok??!:confused:

Finally any early irritations or gripes, or just ear to ear grins!!??:thumbsup:
I've commented on the Nissan Connect further below in a separate post just now, but re. your other questions:

- Yes, I had my optimization done over two weeks ago at NHPC Newcastle. Not even bothered with the exhaust valve to be honest, seems a gimmick if i'm not mistaken and everything i've seen online so far seems to back that up with no discernible difference noted - happy for someone to tell me I'm missing something though! :p

- Tough for me to comment on the noise cancellation as I haven't come from an earlier GT-R to offer a comparison, the MY17 is my first. I would say it's on par with my old C63 in terms of cabin noise which may not be Bentley quiet but a) I wouldn't want that anyway and b) i can hear enough of what's going on without it becoming tiresome.

Overall, it's mostly ear to ear grins, no gripes, but I've noticed the recent colder mornings on the way to work it's more clunky/noisy until it's warmed up. Doesn't bother me, just a nice reminder to let her warm up!

Also managed to find a good fuelling position without it cutting off every other second (nozzle in, out an inch, rotate left an inch! :D )

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
In terms of Nissan connect or any car manufacturer's in car unit.... They want to own it and all the valuable data.... Why hand it over to Apple or Google. The issue is they're playing catch up.

Eg Forbes Now: Google And Apple Knocking On The Car Door? "No, We Won't Let Them Inside," Toyota Exec Says. http://google.com/newsstand/s/CBIwoqWhljA

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
Having had a demo for a weekend and getting to grips with it let me try answer some of these.

iPhone works fine over Bluetooth for streaming music (Spotify) and for taking phone calls. The Bluetooth music streaming didn't display the Album Art but it did display the Artist - Song. Not amazing looking either. The NissanConnect system is pretty shit.

CarPlay - LOL. Not a chance. The NissanConnect system is pretty shit... did I mention that? :p

no iMessage/WhatsApp etc display as that would require CarPlay for the Apple integration.

I couldn't even find the valve controller but didn't really look for it so can't help you there :)

The road noise can be bad but I'd blame the stupid run flat tyres the car comes with!
Cheers for the info, much appreciated. Failing to see the progress on the nav at the moment! Yes road noise is far less intrusive with MPSS which I changed to
On my last one. As for the exhaust it does seem the general consensus that it's a bit of a gimmick, I'm sure there'll be more opinions in good time...

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
I've commented on the Nissan Connect further below in a separate post just now, but re. your other questions:

- Yes, I had my optimization done over two weeks ago at NHPC Newcastle. Not even bothered with the exhaust valve to be honest, seems a gimmick if i'm not mistaken and everything i've seen online so far seems to back that up with no discernible difference noted - happy for someone to tell me I'm missing something though! :p

- Tough for me to comment on the noise cancellation as I haven't come from an earlier GT-R to offer a comparison, the MY17 is my first. I would say it's on par with my old C63 in terms of cabin noise which may not be Bentley quiet but a) I wouldn't want that anyway and b) i can hear enough of what's going on without it becoming tiresome.

Overall, it's mostly ear to ear grins, no gripes, but I've noticed the recent colder mornings on the way to work it's more clunky/noisy until it's warmed up. Doesn't bother me, just a nice reminder to let her warm up!

Also managed to find a good fuelling position without it cutting off every other second (nozzle in, out an inch, rotate left an inch! :D )
Top man, glad it's putting a smile on your face! Yes any other bits and pieces you feel are worth sharing please carry on.

·
Registered
325 Posts
It is not just Nissan that present new cars poorly

I went to collect a brand new 911 and it was so bad for swirls I refused to accept the car .

Had a swisswax detailer come in and spend 2 days at the garage returning the car to a proper state

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #93 (Edited)
Having just watched the NSX vs GTR video I'm optimistic I've made the right decision and the 2017 changes are a plus, for me anyway. Don't get me wrong I couldn't afford the NSX even if I wanted it but 10 years of R&D has produced a car that barely beats it's Japenese sibling, at 2x cost to boot! I realise the journo's comparisons are all subjective, with the focus primarily one of performance. Yes, the fundamental reason why I'm buying another gtr is for it's £ for lb for smiles (I hate the term bang for buck!) performance but, I also like a cupholder, want a car that will be remotely practical/comfortable when I want it to be, I can't afford it as an indulgent garage toy. 50% of buyers I'd guess are of a similar ilk and the MY17 car is hopefully the perfect balance of gt and gtr. However, I also understand that there are other motives for other buyers, where outright performance ability is the dominating factor, each to their own of course.

I consider myself a driver of average ability who likes to occasionally have a 'blast' within my limits. Will I ever notice more understeer, I doubt it very much. Coupled with having two kids and the associated ferrying, balance is key, let's hope the MY17 is the one for me, I think it is...

·
Registered
81 Posts
I agree Jimbo. For what we use the cars for I doubt you'll notice the understeer on the new one. I have a 4 year old and one more on the way so most of the time I'll be driving like a Sunday driver when they are in the car. ;). I think GTR have something special about them because anyone you speak to always go back to a GTR. I have never driven one but pick mine up next week :clap: and hoping I like the orange as I have never seen one in the flesh. One thing I was surprised about was how quiet the exhausts are even being revved. I am having a Y pipe fitted by Nissan before I drive it off the forecourt.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
It's not quiet in R mode, well at least not in the cabin anyway, the ASE (active sound enhancement) is pretty aggressive and plays a similar sound to an after market titanium exhaust through the speakers, quite screamy and loud.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
Nice one Paul, I don't think we are an isolated bunch but perhaps a minority! You're right on returning too, there is just something about them draws you back!.. Trev that's fine, I like the fact I have options depending on my mood, driving motivation or passenger type!***55357;***56876; In essence I want to to be a cruiser when required, I like that versatility, it's going to be my daily driver after all.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Had one for a day last week.

Main things I noticed were that it's comparable to my M4 in terms of noise cancellation from outside.

The sat nav screen is nice and big, very sharp resolution too.

Suspension felt bang on for UK roads, really nice.

Recaro interior felt like a nice place to be.

I'm Seriously tempted to get one in place of the R34 & M4.

Still can't decide what colour I like most though

81 - 100 of 100 Posts