GTR Forum banner

MY17 Refinement and improvements

4K views 99 replies 22 participants last post by  Chou 
#1 ·
Like some other folk I'm considering jumping back in to R35 ownership. I've had a 15 minute impromptu test drive in a MY17 and definitely noticed the refinement improvement over MY12 in terms of less 'clunks' and smoother gear change but it wasn't comprehensive enough, plus the sales person was nattering! If anyone out there has had a MY11/12 and now has the MY17 can they further elaborate on their comparison? Refinement, trim, rattles, leather (if prestige) wheel arch gravel noise or anything else for that matter! Need some inspiration! :bowdown1:

#2 ·
What about the enhanced understeer, or is that not a concern?

Protegimus

#4 ·
I didn't really know about it tbh, hence asking the differences people know/have noticed. I'm not sure how prominent the difference in understeer is but would it be really noticeable on 'normal' use? If so then as Adam says, there is a fix, albeit not a cheap one.

#8 ·
Aerodynamics/cooling.

Nicer quality interior

stiffer front end, should be a better starting point with the "right" suspension.

improved gearbox software

more sound deadedning

more comfortable seat design - even the recaro I test drove I swear was more comfy. Felt like I was sitting in the seat, not on it.

#9 ·
Interior MFD and centre vents, i think look old TBH, other interior parts ok

I like the new front bumper and bonnet, much better than CBA/DBA.. more aggressive and sharper lines.

doesnt the my17 have a dual valve exhaust now? does it work well?

#14 ·
Interior seats being "more comfy" and "larger" takes the edge off a sportier seat style.

Softer suspension you need to change because it has understeer - rubbish.

Sound deadening - it's supposed to be a supercar killer not a tourer or SUV, when is anyone talking about Ferrari's being "quieter"?

Quicker gearbox change - easy to achieve on older models with a quick flash.

Interior - fresher, yes. Better? No. That's down to opinion and I don't agree.

Cooling and aero - wasn't the front end intakes "fake"? Also, does it beat a 0.26 drag coefficient? Not with that front end!

#15 ·
I know it likes to get called a supercar killer, but, let's face it. It's not really. The latest MY17 finished last in a drag with Porsche, McLaren and R8. I'd even consider not including the Porsche 911/R8 as Supercars, but, they're closer to it than the GTRs.

Ferrari's are fairly quiet in the cabin :)

The interior is much better - but yes again that's opinion for sure.

#16 ·
I know it likes to get called a supercar killer, but, let's face it. It's not really. The latest MY17 finished last in a drag with Porsche, McLaren and R8. I'd even consider not including the Porsche 911/R8 as Supercars, but, they're closer to it than the GTRs.
Stick it round a track with them, there will be nothing in it. Or if you want to go price for price put them against a Nismo.

Throw £5k at a GTR and it will beat all of the others in a drag race and still be about £50k cheaper than them.

It's definately still got 'it', I think people have seen it surpassed stock in a drag race and come to the conclusion it's only a drag car. It was the ring time more than anything that was outrageous when it was launched in 2007 - and still now with the Nismo the ring time is outrageous.

#18 ·
having seen one in the flesh now.... "I LOVE IT "..

it looks sensational and bang upto date with its angular profile.
there was around 15 of us in the showroom and most agreed it was very modern "lambo`ish" in its looks.. No bad thing IMO.

i would love to buy one, but my GTR is not my main car, its my toy and not sure i can quite justify £85k on a toy yet.. but i cannot wait till they drop down to the £60k mark.. i will be all over it then.,..

I would love to see one in white and Silver as well...

good on you that have placed orders or received their new cars. Well Jell ! :)

#19 ·
So guys i went down to Westway Nissan at Mill Hill today to check out the interior and differences over my old R35GTR and the new MY17 GTR .

As i pulled up they had a new car in the showroom in a strong Orange so went in for a closer look.....wander over to the car and it's locked so i ask the salesman if he minds opening her up so i can have a look at the interior .

He refused on the grounds that it was sold .

I explained that i just wanted to look at the interior to compare to my older model as i am considering coming back to the brand from my M4 parked outside .

Nope

What a Twat !

A timely reminder that Nissan don't do premium / luxury and kill so many potential sales due to inept salesmen with no comprehension on how to handle customers interested in £75k+ cars

#21 · (Edited)
Cannot agree more, thought I was dealing with an isolated/unique dealership. I called to check demonstrator availability, was advised there was a showroom model too. Arrived to find it locked, asked if it could be unlocked, 'no' as it will be for sale?! WTF? Such hard work to agree to a test drive, even pitching up with the wife a few days later I got 'you didn't ask to test drive when you called!?' They know I've owned two R35's but it was like they thought I was lying, or had to prove my eligibility to be there...

They acted like it was a privilege to unlock the car/have some attention, belittling at best. They think everyone is there for fickle fanfare, no idea at all. Oh, no discount either, nothing, until I get the scripted follow up call and I say I'm ready to order. Oh, we'll match any deal in writing?! What?! Too little to late.. Tosh.. Not Mill Hill by the way, a different incompetent dealership...

#23 ·
They should consult Honda on tips of how to make things even more cringeworthy.

Honda essentially held an event where they rocked up a plastic car, then sent you into a room with a chav in a suit who showed you the online configurator that anyone could go to on the website, printed out a sheet of paper with a price on it and then asked you to sign it.

When asked what am I signing, they say "it's a statement of intent", when I reply "I've already made a statement of intent, you had a deposit 2 years ago on a £100k car which is now £150k and at least a year late", the suited chav admitted that the deposit would be non refundable once that paper is signed.

Still no cars in the UK, 1 month late and counting...

#22 ·
They weren't lying about the orange one being sold but they do have a white demonstrator. That's the one I drove.

Oddly they removed the cover from the orange one and proceeded to unlock it at which point I said don't bother as it was someone's car and I'd seen the interior of the other one already!

#25 ·
Hey Adam long time away from the forum but it seems the lure of the GTr is strong and I know you are the man in the know when it comes to these beauties .

Thought you were going for the new NSX ?

Anyway back to your point I believed the guy but thought it was ridiculous he refused to open the door so I could look at the interior I even said I would be happy not to sit in the seat ***128542;

#36 ·
I think you have to see it in context, back in 2007 there was only the GTR.

Now there is:
- MY17
- MY17 track edition (different dampers / roll bars / some extra stiffness I think)
- MY17 Nismo (+ the nismo track bolt on's possibly)

So it makes sense that the stock car is a bit more refined for everyday driving. If you want a track car you now but the track pack or the Nismo which I'm sure will be more focused.

#30 ·
I suppose it's always better for the base chassis to be as stiff as possible in order for the suspension to behave as predictably as possible, regardless of what behaviour you set it up to have.

I'm not sure what the exact changes they have made are, only that they have been made.

#39 · (Edited)
Probably not best to ask me because I'm a mod addict and am quite happy to change things that for my purposes don't need changing.

The standard criticism of the MY17 is that it has gone soft in its age.
The first thing I would do is change the suspension. My preference and that of many on this forum is the Litchfield aftermarket set up which is visually identical to stock and made in the same factory by Bilstein and retains the electronic control but has better suited valving and spring rates. It won't be as comfy but is incredibly stable and inspires confidence which will make you faster. It has always been an improvement on all other stock GTR suspension set ups as they never seem to pitch the comfort versus progress compromise correctly. The litchfield set up has at least until the MY17 been more comfy yet faster than stock. I suspect now it won't be as cushioned but will remove the understeer that is the only major criticism I have seen levelled on the new car.

Other brands of aftermarket suspension are of course available too!

I have no issue with the interior which is a huge improvement on previous models but I do like to fill in the blanks where the bean counters ran out of money. On the recaro this means retrimming the rear seats which are vinyl not leather. I have done this before and am considering what to do this time. I also think the rear "door" cards look shocking in plastic and will again have them retrimmed - probably to match the front somehow.

#40 ·
Thanks, appreciate the feedback, seems other than suspension and a few aesthetic interior changes, you'd leave as is? (for now at least! :D).

Tech-wise if they do a suspension that's slightly less comfy but more planted, that sounds like something I'd be interested in for sure....

Interior-wise, I went for Prestige which I'm happy with, but I do like the dash trim and steering wheel trim on the new Nismo but not enough to start changing it from standard just yet! :)

#41 ·
The suspension completely transforms the older models, even those considered to have the best set up (2012/2013), so long as you can accept a less compliant but much more confidence inspiring ride, I suspect you'll love it.

There are plenty around on here who could take you out in one so equipped, to demonstrate.

#46 · (Edited)
Yes. Extremely common when dealers wash their own cars. I never ever let a dealer wash my car. The last one who did (BMW dealer on my M4) paid for a full paint correction and detail.

The grey one in the showroom looked stunning from far but when you went up close it was pretty badly marred/damaged. I told the dealer I'd love it but that the paintwork is to bad to even consider it. I had my detailer with me and he suggested leaving it as he wasn't sure if all the marks would come out.

There was a, roughly, one foot long scuff on the wrong driver wing. Horrendous. Dealers are not equipped to handle washing cars correctly :(

#48 ·
I have another MY17 question if anyone can confirm.

The car now has parking sensors front and rear. These are accompanied by an optical display showing which sensor is causing the beeping. I'd like to know how the screen is actuated when driving forwards.

On Mercedes, the sensors work automatically below 10mph. On audis the front sensors only work after you engage reverse and then only up to a certain speed. How do they work on the gtr?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.