GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi william from Edinburgh.
Previous to my17 I had a my14 gtr 4.25 but was disappointed by the lack of power in 1st and 2nd gear. 3rd gear onwards it ran perfect.

So when I upgraded to my17 I was reluctant to ever do stage 4.25 again as my stage 2 has perfect way of having power in all gears.

Has anyone ever experienced what I have, and if I could have same 1st and 2nd gear as I have now but with stage 4.25 - so the urgency will be there how it is.

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
I've a MY10 and never noticed a lack of power in 1st and 2nd. If anything, the car can sometimes be overwhelmed by the power, even on Cup2 tyres. Unless you mean the traction control kicking in and controlling things power-wise?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My previous gtr(my14) had the ecu-tec Bluetooth thingy to check boost by gears but I swear the thing had no boost in 1st and 2nd gear, I can put it down to the tuner who was an aweful aweful tuner I won’t name and shame.

But my current my17 is sweetly done by Jm-imports Juergen who is one of the best guy I’ve met so far. He said your stage 2 is on par with most 4.25 he’s done. Currently mods are y-pipe and hks panel filters.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Well if it had reduced boost in 1 & 2 it would feel slow, Jurgen will not give you a car back that feels slow trust me.

·
Vendor
6,230 Posts
It all depends on the tuner and how he dials in the torque, its not about stages, ive seen some stage 4.25 cars that are crap on take off up until 3 gear like you say and then all hell brakes loose and others that are consistent through the gears, it all depends on what the car was set up for, drag, track or top end power. Personally I prefer max power off the mark because I prefer instant acceleration for drag use or fast road use.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Takamo - you hit the nail on the head. Exactly what I prefer instant acceleration from get go.
Safe to say my stage 2 is going to stay. Do not feel the need to up the stages.

Saying that my stage 2 gtr keeps up and beats most stage 2 rs6/rs7 which are Well over 700bhp plus. They are my mates and always wonder if I’m running more than stage 2.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He said I’ll see 20-30 bhp with extra £4K outlay, tbh I love the way the car drives so 4.25 isn’t attractive enough. 850hp/800ft lb now that’s attractive.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
If your happy with your car, I agree leave it alone. I have over 800 HP and quite often the traction control steps in. The delay in the system letting me have the power again is annoying. It seems like seconds. I took out a standard GTR a few months ago. I thought it would feel flat compared to my 800 HP, but I was quite amazed with the power it had. I have had my car rechecked on a rolling road and it is delivering over 780 HP atm.

You love it, leave it as is, enjoy.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Further on this, to get the 800 HP I have to put in 102 octane fuel. Difficult and expensive to obtain. It is a very expensive game looking for these extra horses. Start changing when you are not happy with the car.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I agree 800hp is not a cheap leap, but for me to warrant that I’d like the upgraded turbos to have the similar response to standard turbos. The urgency and over drive is paramount for me. I’m 32 so I’d like to think I’ll do it if I driver a 800hp car which drove close to standard gtr, wired to want that but I’m sure with careful mods probably 20k plus later I’d get there.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
I have that type of car, It gave 806hp on the dyno when first set up, It now runs around 780hp. They said it would be an easy fix (pin hole leak of pressure on one bank they said). I am not looking for a few horsepower atm.

Here is what the tuner said when he sold my car :-

Purchased from Nissan 3 years ago as a completely stock car.

Stayed near stock for the first year with just an exhaust change.

After that the car was modified to SRD-GT800 spec

The aim was to have a car that drove as stock as possible but had more power and torque.
Especially at the top end where the stock turbo cars can drop off a bit.

Mapped by Dan at Litchfield

If you are close to me, you are welcome to try my car and see how they compare.

I am in the Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire. Near Monmouth.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dooke2000 mate you are too kind, I’d take you up on your offer but, I’m in glasgow and secondly we are on lockdown. After all this virus stuff hopefully could meet up on gtr meet.

Do you have 800bhp stock engine or built also gearbox built too?

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Lol, too far away.

I have modded a car before and it cost me lots of money and just got it where I like and some idiot run out of control into me and wrote it off.

So when I was looking for a GTR, I went for one that was more modded than I would ever want. This was the car I bought. I have added a new Lichfield suspension (the old one just felt a little loose in comfort mode).

I am pretty sure engine is stock and all the changes to gearbox is this:-

HKS Gearbox Sump
Dodson GR6 Anti surge plate
Dodson Gearbox Filters

Pics of work done on the car here SRD Tuning

I had a Chief master technician look at all this and he gave me the nod it's good and done right. So I bought it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The build looks quite impressive and certainly has to be running near 800bhp safely on a stock motor.

My brother also done similar mods on his my17 gtr like yours and blew his engine to pieces, and I drove his prior to engine failure and it was horrible to drive, because his first gear was no boost and after 2 nd gear higher rpm all hell breaks loose. So I’d only do it that kind of power with a built engine.

But I’m sure yours put together quite cleverly, and my brother went to a mad tuner will not name but there’s that.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Your scaring me, lol. I will keep my fingers crossed mine holds together. It has done many fault free miles since the build

I think you have all the knowledge at hand. If you are happy with yours as is. Do not change her.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I just brought my car back from 800whp/630wtq to stage 4.25 (600/650bhp?).
To be honest i really wouldnt do it again. It hast cost me a lot of money to go from stage 4.25 to 800whp (on E85), and now that i took most parts off (EFR6758, upgraded gearbox, intercooler, flex fuel kit etc) i really dont notice much difference. The real gains were only in the high rpm range, in lower rpm i like stage 4.25 much more. So if i had to do it over again i would go all in and spent some more for 1000+ whp or just stop at stage 4.25 which is more then enough and very responsive.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts