GTR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys

i have bought a N1 oil pump, now ive been told by a few peeps that there just crap and i should go with a tomei number

now my question is, if im not raising my rev limit will this pump still be likely to fail?
it's just that if ive to order another pump it will delay my build by a few weeks maybe a month
so i would like you guys oppinions on this
i realise if the rev limit is raised considerably then the pump wont take it.

so i just dont know what i should do

please give me some good advice as i dont want to spend another 10k on another rebuild

many thanks

alex

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
i had a N1 pump and it failed for no apparent reason.

rebuilds cos alot more than the £700+ pricetag of a tomei or jun pump.
it sounds alot of money but id never risk an engine on a N1 pump again.

thats just my opinion btw lol

·
Registered
158 Posts
Im no expert but N1 oil pumps are very popular with most ppl on here if you search and have not heard anything bad of them so I dont think you should worry. Im sure more ppl will back me up on that.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
The real Nissan N1 pump (not eBay special) is just as reliable as the factory pump. Why? Because it is virtually identical. There is a lot of confusion with people thinking the N1 pump is so much better that the factory pump, and similar in design to the Nismo, Jun or Tomei. But it's not. The N1 pump should only be used the same way you would use the factory pump, and not exceeding the factory red line.

If you want a heavy duty pump go with Nismo, Jun, HKS or Tomei.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
see thats what i was thinking daryl, dont exceed nissans rev limit and the pump should be ok.
now it's defo a origonal N1 pump, its got nissan all over it and its in a nissan box

thing is as other people have said it's only another £700 out of a 10k build, and i may live to regret running a N1 pump?!?!

i just dont know atall

alex

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
mine failed and I never drove the car over 7000rpm (on that build). In fact, the moment the pump gears decided to shatter was when I was parking my car. That's right, under the high stress of reversing and backing into a parking spot, using all of 2500rpms.

I WOULD NEVER WISH AN N1 PUMP ON MY WORST ENEMY. Having gone through four oil pumps, I believe I am qualified to speak on the subject.

However, you absolutely cannot put a higher flowing pump on, without adding about a grand in supporting oil system mods. You can, but you'll break the pump through cavitation.

Safe bet: Nismo oil pump - flows same as stock, stronger gears. When my N1 pump broke, it shattered and the metal is lightweight and cheap-feeling. I managed to break a JUN pump - it broke in half, yet still flowed for months until I got around to fixing it. When I looked at the gears, they were heavy, and reeked of quality. So too with the Tomei pump I have now, and should have started with.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I have a N1 pump in my car. 15,000 kms, 2.8 stroker but never rev it over 8000 RPM. Having said that if the motor was to ever come out i would be throwing a Tomei pump with all the jibber jabber that goes along with it in. Do yourself a favour and run the better pump!

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
just out of interest can someone let me know what other mods will have to be done to run a tomei pump properly,

alex

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yip i got a trust sump extention kit already, and when i was looking at the tomei pumps there is a optional extra of the head ristrictor
i just wonderd if there was anything other than those parts

alex

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
brilliant, thanks alot mate
just orderd a oil return kit and new front discs ;)

oil pump is a tad pricey though

alex

1 - 16 of 16 Posts