GTR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As it says on the tin. Can you recognise these?
gtr33 coilpacks on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Following a rebuild of my engine (9 months long!) The coilpacks have no identification marks of manafacturer or any code at all. TBH they look pretty Heath Robinson, but I'm thinking they are wasted spark but the enumeration pursuant to each coil doesn't make sense to the HT lead still attached (I.e. they are cable tied and physically cannot reach designated cyclinder.)

Of course records should have been kept of the removal but life being what it is...

KR
J2K

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Well they aren't Bosch or Mercury!

Could be a 'home brew', although you do need to know what you are doing when it comes to coils to make sure you have the impedance right, ratio's, and so on without buggering up the rise time, over driving (do they get hot?) or stressing the amplifier drivers.

Are they driven by the standard igniter box or is there something else providing the grunt to them?

DaveG

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Coil packs

Thanks for the replies.

Whilst the upper view looks clean and tidy the actual wiring underneath is less than impressive. AFAIK the assemply is driven by the standard system (ignition amplifier).

I have also been led to believe it is a wasted spark system from the seller's details. Who's wasted spark system I really don't know. Worked okay before engine went ka-phooey. Although it had an undiagnosed mis-fire around 5k-ish.

No idea if it was running hot but nothing obvious.

Kr
J2K

1 - 4 of 4 Posts