Votes: 11 28.9%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

How about a European road trip? Maybe we could arrange a Skyline tour to the South of France or even Northern Italy? Each year I head from Belgium thru Germany, Switzerland and into Southern France via the Alps. A possible route might be:

Day one
-Arrive Calais
-Calais to Koln (Germany)
-Koln to Strasbourg (via Autbahns and maybe we stop for the night halfway)

Day two
-Strasbourg to Mulhouse to Lausanne to Geneva
-Geneva to Grenoble and then to Gap (Stay over)

Day three
-Gap to Nice or Monaco via either two lane roads (some of the best hi-speed roads I have ever been on)
-Or we take the mountain passes and the famous ‘Route Napoleon’

Day four/five
-We can spend the time either by heading in the mountains to get to Northern Italy
-Or we could take the coast roads via Monaco to get to Italy (although we have tolls to pay)

Coming back I would suggest we drive back to Nice (Frejus) and take the Autogare back to just north of Paris. You basically load your car on the train at 19:00 and early the next morning you are dropped off in-between Paris and Calais. This saves money compared to paying for petrol and tolls (not to mention the 7hr car journey)

Can you imagine what the Italians would make of 5-10 Skylines parked up in a sleepy Italian village somewhere?

I have included some pictures (sorry about the bikes) of what you could expect.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,034 Posts
Trip.

Dan,

I'd be up for a long weekend in the autumn sometime. As you say, I reckon we could get together 5 or 10 cars, enough to make our presence known anyway.

Peter.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
August/Sept weekend tour

Yup,

We could do a long weekend and tour the Ardennes or Black Forest with a possible pitstop at the Nurburgring.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Belgium Fines

Well I got caught doing 190MPH in Belgium on my Yamaha R7 two years back, the fine was 300 Sterling.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Opps

Actually I also got caught in the Porsche (197KM), it was about 2 minutes before I took this picture and things could of been very bad as they are less tolerant of cars speeding then they are of bikes.

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
GTR Speed

Hiya Guy,

Driving back from Middlehurst I could easily get it to 165/170 if I remeber correctly I had at least 1500/2000rpm left but I always ran out of road. I never got the chance to test it in Belgium as I crashed it at the ring a few days later. What do you think the top speed is? It was dyno tested at 505BHP.

The Porsche is the 996 Turbo, the GTR with 505BHP felt quicker than the Porsche up to 160 but the GTR started to feel like it was running out of steam at 160 (around 6000/6500) the 996 would pull like a train up to and over 190.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Italian Job

Yeah.............

done this trip a few times in a Pantera with the DeTomaso Club.

Great fun. Met up with Swiss, Swedish and German clubs, drove in convoy to the DT factory in Italy.

Ok, a tuned straight 6 may sound nice, but you wanna hear about 50 V8 Panteras going through those mountains !!!!!

I'm in if you help me out....................
I'm short of dosh at the moment, so someone make me some offers for my registration numbers.

V5 SKY (VSpec SKYline) V.KR15, V.KR15S, V.KR111S,

also, buy some MinMet shares @ 14.5p, when they hit 30p it will pay for all the fines, tolls, petrol, hotels, food and booze.

Don't take that last line too serious, my break-even point is 23p and the rest of my cash went on tech stocks............
and I mean WENT ! It's all gone !!

I've just written a very short book called
"How Do You Make A Small Fortune On The Stock Market ?"
(inside it says)
"Start Off With A LARGE One"

Best wishes

Chris Statham

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Speed

Guy

I went to a runway day-thing last year, where I met Chris who arranged Gaydon, and got to run flat out in 5th at 7300 rpm through some timing lights. The speedo was indicating 169 and the true speed was 162. I kept it flat out in fifth because the first run I changed into 6th about 200yds before the lights and the equipment read 158. Well actually my wife said hold in 5th for the second run :( . Clever cow. That was on the same spec as the 421bhp I achieved at the dyno day except I did run octane booster at the runway for safety. So come on then what is the max top speed for mine,Joss,Guys 34's ??? Am I to assume I/we would struggle to hit a true 170mph????

T6KYO

·
Registered
404 Posts
Euro trip

This thread is turning into how fast is my car

I’ve been on a few trips like this with car Clubs from Germany, each time there was an interesting destination, a track day, a factory visit etc.

The ultimate was the Dream Cars day for sick children, when we drove children with cancer around a scenic route.

Guy,

Each day on my way to work I drive along the A5 from Frankfurt, to Darmstadt, this is 4 lanes wide and 17 Km long mostly smooth and straight.

There’s also a stretch of the A63 from Mainz to Kaiserslautern that’s about 3 Km long down hill most cars can redline there if you have the gonads for it, another old favorite is the A7 from Wuerzburg to Rothernberg.

If you’re headed this way let me know we can meet up have a Beer (as you do in Germany) and I’ll show you around.

As a matter of interest my car still tops out at 7100 rpm (170 mph) even after the usual chip, exhaust, filter, etc extra 100 bhp mod’s only gets there quicker.

Does anyone know the to speed of an R33 at 8000 rpm?

·
Registered
9,034 Posts
Hi Paul,

There was a thread about this on the old forum and it stated that a stock car at 8k revs should reach 192.48 mph, pretty much as Guy's calculations.

Out of interest, on the speedo accuracy subject, I've attached a speedo check I had done last year. This equates pretty well with the reading given by the Power FC also.

See you in September. :)

Peter.

Attachments

·
Registered
178 Posts
Topping out

My R32 which has variously been tested at 403BHP (Tuning Japanese) and 485BHP :)rolleyes:) at Racelogic made 169MPH on a Max Power :eek: vid shoot at an airfield, the general consensus of the timing guys was that it would have topped out at 173MPH...:smokin:.....

....It'd be nice to try it...

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
visit www.british-speedball.co.uk

a guy on the "other" skyline forum is organising it along with my help and a few others, its an affordable version of the Gumball if you are interested, all info can be found on the site!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts