GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driving home from work today at 5pm I had what I believe was an attempted car jacking. I was in the right lane on Holloway Road in slow moving traffic when I heard a girl scream "hey", I looked in the mirrors and saw a big black guy approach quickly on my right side carrying what looked like some kind of orange canister. He was almost by the car when I changed into the left lane and floored it for a few car lengths (thankfully there was a gap in traffic for me to drive into). The guy looked at me and then turned 90 degrees and walked off the road.

No idea who or where the girl was who warned me but thank god she did.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Well you will live in theses rough areas Lol

Bobby

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Glad you're OK:)

I was involved in an attempted carjacking on the M1 many years ago when a VW Passat with 5 (looked like Eastern Europeans) tried to get me to pull over. Drove for many miles behind me, flashing me to pull over & each time i just floored it to get away. Each time they did the same (took them longer) & they'd eventually catch me up.

Dialled 999 & they'd already received reports from 2 other Police forces of similar activity as well as an attempt in Luton. I kept the VW within sight for a while longer until the Motorway rozzers eventually pulled alongside them & pulled them over.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Do you reckon it might of been a piss head begging for money I see a few people begging around north London.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you reckon it might of been a piss head begging for money I see a few people begging around north London.
I don't think so, they normally do that by the lights -this was an area where there was a barrier between traffic and two lanes each way. No reason for any pedestrian to be there.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Any CCTV in the area and did you report it to the cops ??
I reported it but they said that since nothing happened they only took it down as information.

A real shame is that my dashcams (back and front facing) weren't working :mad: I think they get tricked by the way the car refuses to start right away, it gets stuck in the "looking for key/fob" mode and I have to press the button three times. Only found out that they weren't recording when I connected the yesterday eve to see the dude.

·
Premium Member
2,530 Posts
I reported it but they said that since nothing happened they only took it down as information.

A real shame is that my dashcams (back and front facing) weren't working :mad: I think they get tricked by the way the car refuses to start right away, it gets stuck in the "looking for key/fob" mode and I have to press the button three times. Only found out that they weren't recording when I connected the yesterday eve to see the dude.
So until they actually mug someone they will do jack all??
So I can walk into a bank with a balaclava on and a fake gun ant that fine if I actually don't do anything ???

·
Administrator
31,883 Posts
sounds like a man with a can of Tango jumped over the central reservation instead of walking up to a crossing.

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
No, because there are laws about entering banks while concealing your identity as well as having replica weapons.

It sucks they wouldn't do anything, but its also not realistic to expect them to just go find a random guy based on a report. With no evidence and nothing to go with.

The real sad thing is if he was indeed trying to car jack you, and you ran over his foot, he would probably sue you and win...

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
I don't know what dashcams you have but they should work off a 12v feed so shouldn't be any problem.

You should pop the SD cards out every fsix months or so and reformat them to stop recording errors for continuous loop recording though.
This is when I find they start getting recording gaps or just stop working.

·
Banned
3,066 Posts
Driving home from work today at 5pm I had what I believe was an attempted car jacking. I was in the right lane on Holloway Road in slow moving traffic when I heard a girl scream "hey", I looked in the mirrors and saw a big black guy approach quickly on my right side carrying what looked like some kind of orange canister. He was almost by the car when I changed into the left lane and floored it for a few car lengths (thankfully there was a gap in traffic for me to drive into). The guy looked at me and then turned 90 degrees and walked off the road.

No idea who or where the girl was who warned me but thank god she did.
All the carjackers typical do it at rush hour. They like it when traffic stops them getting away

You were lucky you managed to get a few car lengths away, but somehow still maintain eye contact. I bet he thought to himself, "Damn, he has got 4 car lengths away, I better turn 90 degrees instead"

I glad you managed to escape. Sounds like you've really been in the wars

Anyhoo.....

I think you would be very welcome on this thread

http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/291970-r35-gtr-owners-petrolheads-tards-2-a-16.html#post3104410

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't know what dashcams you have but they should work off a 12v feed so shouldn't be any problem.

You should pop the SD cards out every fsix months or so and reformat them to stop recording errors for continuous loop recording though.
This is when I find they start getting recording gaps or just stop working.
They're min 0803. It's so annoying that they didn't record then, all other mornings and evenings were there. Sods law...

·
Registered
231 Posts
All the carjackers typical do it at rush hour. They like it when traffic stops them getting away

You were lucky you managed to get a few car lengths away, but somehow still maintain eye contact. I bet he thought to himself, "Damn, he has got 4 car lengths away, I better turn 90 degrees instead"

Anyhoo.....

http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/291970-r35-gtr-owners-petrolheads-tards-2-a-16.html#post3104410
Bit harsh mate

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Anyhoo.....

Thanks, I feel lucky but also a bit spooked...

And no, the gtr is not a super car :)

·
Registered
9,091 Posts
So long as it was Holloway and not Hampstead. Holloway is a dive, not surprising at all really.

Now if it happened in Hampstead, I'd be really concerned, bit close to home for my liking.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
We really need a phone app where we can switch the car off, track it , lock it, hidden internal camera and mic. Id pay for that as a factory option.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts