GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Was that a Police car also I saw on other side of road just before you get to the Junction where the Small van is coming out of?

Glad there was no collision, makes me ponder about investing in a dashcam.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah that was a police car.

Was so close. Usually people on the other side are bumper to bumper, but luckily in this case there was a small gap I could squeeze into lol.

The road there was unbelievably slippy as well.

Yeah a dashcam is a good investment. Always good to have proof if something happens. Also if it's your fault just snap the SD card and you "forgot to put the SD card in that day" :)

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Yeah that was a police car.

Was so close. Usually people on the other side are bumper to bumper, but luckily in this case there was a small gap I could squeeze into lol.

The road there was unbelievably slippy as well.

Yeah a dashcam is a good investment. Always good to have proof if something happens. Also if it's your fault just snap the SD card and you "forgot to put the SD card in that day" :)

I thought that, huge traffic jam, and there was a magic gap to pull over to like it was fate or god was looking after the GT-R ;)

When I first clicked the video and saw the slippy road and a small bump/bridge I was thinking something completely different was going to happen.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Junction observation is piss poor by 90% of drivers, I call it PPO, results in tens of thousands of collisions every year.

The van pulling out is a classic example of what 95% of drivers do when turning left from a junction, they don't look left until they've entered the carriageway, and each and every time is a potential head on collision with a vehicle on the wrong side of the road, which could be an idiot overtaking across the face of that junction, or more commonly an emergency service vehicle overtaking traffic on its left that's pulled in to let it pass. Very common cause of head-ons, and it's so simple just to look left before you pull out.

I know in your case the van driver didn't even look right(!) let alone left, but as said it's an amazing truth that circa 95% of drivers don't look left when emerging from a junction and turning left!

Just out of curiosity, is that a 30 limit, I know you were only doing 40 but had a collision occurred the copper would have been prime witness.

·
Registered
760 Posts
If you'd hit him I'd say your speed was a contributory factor given the conditions and weight of traffic.

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
If you'd hit him I'd say your speed was a contributory factor given the conditions and weight of traffic.
That would have been what the other side would have claimed in the event of an accident.

Seems the driver looked first and then started to leave the junction as you came over the blind crest.

This is why we run dash cams.

One of the work vehicles yesterday....

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
Also can I suggest pointing the camera down a bit?

It's plane spotting and can over expose in sunny conditions which could lead to a dark view of what's happening on the road.

We usually aim the centre of the image further up the road in front of the vehicle.

Just a pointer. :)

·
Registered
522 Posts
It looked like he started to pull out just as the other car was crossing so even if he did look to his right I doubt he would see much.
Having said that he probably looked to the right before the car crossed and saw it was clear and probably didn't expect someone to suddenly arrive at mach 2 in those conditions!

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Everybody knows at that junction when the lights are at red on one side traffic is coming from the other side.

The speed limit there is 60mph and I've driven that road millions of times it's literally beside my house and the quickest way for me to get onto the motorway and to the cinema and that's the first that's happened to me, so needless to say I will be going a lot slower next time haha.

And from that junction cars at the peak of the small bump are visible and he continued pulling out even as I was nearing him. If you watch it closely you will see he only comes onto my road as I am actually at the start of the road he is pulling out of.

But none of what I done was illegal and if you listen I intentionally let off the accelerator at the top of the bump.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Also CT the camera position is usually better, I normally check it via the live feed from
The wifi, but I got a new phone and I've not connected it yet ha. Laziness on my part.

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
But none of what I done was illegal and if you listen I intentionally let off the accelerator at the top of the bump.
I don't think anyone claimed you had done anything illegal.

People just seem to believe that the driver was unaware you were gaining on him so fast. Or just plain unaware.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorry, but I would say that particular incident is as much the OP's fault as the van drivers....
Explain. I didn't set off particularly fast. Probably about 30-40% throttle. I shifted gears fairly early and I let off the accelerator at the top of the hill and the driver began to pull out as I was passing the beginning of his junction.

So how in any way shape or form is somebody pulling out to the road I'm driving on in front of me my fault? You could then say that any time you pass a junction that turns onto your road. "Oh you knew there was a junction there, you should have slowed down"

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don't think anyone claimed you had done anything illegal.

People just seem to believe that the driver was unaware you were gaining on him so fast. Or just plain unaware.
That was there cause it was asked if I was speeding.

But like I said, re watch and you will see when he actually pulls out on me and you will also see that I stop accelerating at the top of the bump and my foot is hovering over the brake.

·
Premium Member
3,000 Posts
Cameras mounted permanently in cars or vans are becoming more and more popular. We have supplied over 30 this year to vehicles we have sold and the most popular is the Roadhawk HD which also shows where the car is on Google maps through GPRS.

Some of the companies we supply vehicles to, insist on them being fitted on a 30 minute loop.

I now have one fitted on my GT-R as well as the V Box Racelogic system for track.

1 - 20 of 154 Posts