GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys/gals;
Need some advice;

I want a sequential gearbox that downshifts for a 99 R34 VSpec.

Don't car if its' loud, so long as its' solid and will take 700hp.

Also, what clutch would I use with said gearbox?

Anyone know what I need? Prices? Where I can buy it?

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
Hi Craig,

Sounds like you are after a Hollinger sequential. Its an Australian built 'box and is very popular on GTRs. You have a very large choice or ratios so you can match it perfectly to what you want to do with the car(ie track or drag). There is also talk that OS Giken are developing a 6 speed sequential for the R34 but its not sure yet. This kit will supposidly fit into the Getrag casing and turn it into a 6 speed sequential. There were a few very informative discussions on this section...here are the links...I'm sure you will find them very interesting

http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/upload/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5127

http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/upload/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5221

http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/upload/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3976

·
Registered
272 Posts
Holinger are working on a direct replacement for an R34 GTR , it may be complete already . it will handle 700+ hp easily . if they have not completed the R34 model then an R32/33 model can be adapted by using a transfer case and driveshafts from one of them . you can either use an OS Giken triple plate or a Tilton triple plate , Holinger reccomend using a larger input shaft as it is stronger , Nissan uses a 1"x24spline shaft , Holinger reccomend the 15/16 " 26 spline as used in some chev gearboxes. I have a holinger in my car with a tilton triple plate and the larger input shaft .

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the info, folks...

Now, where do I get a Hollinger and how much in USD?

And, does anyone know if its' a direct bolt up?

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
Should be, except you will need to use a transfer box from an R32 if I remember correctly. Try Motorex...maybe they could help.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Brenhan... has the info about the R34 direct fit Hollinger box got any substance behind it? Or is it just a rumour? I haven't come across anything on that development and I've been looking/asking tuners. I'm interested in this.

Cya O!

·
Registered
997 Posts
Holinger

You may need a stronger box than the Holinger as both Ronnies and Geds boxes are not performing too well due to the torque that both these cars produce.
However,I have used the Holinger in Geds car and found it absolutely excellent and for less extreme Skylines I would recomend it very highly.

The new OS Giken box is rated for 1500BHP cars but is new and as mentioned before there are not many details available for us info junkies to digest.(BTW.OS Gikens triple plate clutch is superb.)

I`ve also heard a rumour that Trust/Quaife are going to do another run of their sequential boxes,I`m waiting for this as they are located only 15 minutes from Abbey Motorsport.This box uses a completely new gear box but retains the original transfer assembly,its very strong and the box is used by the Chrysler Viper Team.Quaife also do a 6 speed dog engagement gear kit in both straight cut and helical BUT I believe that nothing is available at the moment,Tim at SVS is the Trust UK man that you have to speak to.

Henry.

·
Registered
272 Posts
hipogtr said:
Brenhan... has the info about the R34 direct fit Hollinger box got any substance behind it? Or is it just a rumour? I haven't come across anything on that development and I've been looking/asking tuners. I'm interested in this.

Cya O!
yes , it has substance , when I was at Top secret we were talking about it with Shibuki-san and Nagata-san , I talked to Holinger on their behalf about it and Holinger were keen to do something . Shin has taken over the negotiations with Holinger and would have the most up to date info .

For anyone who is interested Holingers contact details are:

[email protected]
phone (61) 3 9761 7964

I think that it would be quicker to install the R32/33 model Craig as I can imagine time is short on your project .

·
Registered
272 Posts
there are several cars here using Holingers , the most powerfull being @ 1100hp , and they have had no problems , other than a gear selection problem in one of them when the car had huge axle tramp problems and it shook the car really violently.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Thanks for the input, Brenhan.

Its interesting you should mention Shibuki-san and Nagata-san at Top Secret. These are the exact guys that have designed and built my car from the ground up. I'll see what updated information I can get from them.

Cya O!

·
Registered
272 Posts
hipogtr said:
Thanks for the input, Brenhan.

Its interesting you should mention Shibuki-san and Nagata-san at Top Secret. These are the exact guys that have designed and built my car from the ground up. I'll see what updated information I can get from them.

Cya O!
yeah , I knew they built your car , thats why I mentioned it :), Shin ended up working on that project with them so he may have the most up to date info . if you do talk to them in the near future ask them about their plans to travel to New Zealand , I have heard they are coming here early next year.
Brenhan.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Will do, Brenhan. :)

FYI, in case you haven't already seen it I put some updated info regarding the Holinger and OS Giken sequential in the "OSG Sequential" thread.

Cya O!

·
Registered
662 Posts
HI Craig,

I just bought & am in the process of getting my Holinger gearbox.

It is 18,000 AUD btw + shipping to you (probably about 500-600 AUD) from what I have heard from other users, the noise is not too much and the driving can be smooth (after all as PEGLEG pointed out, you still have a clutch pedal).

You can order the tranny from them directly. Basically companies like Tomei, JUN and others just buy a Holinger with their own custom gear specs, and then resell the thing to you...
The gear ratios for the other companies are no secrets either, and basically you can ask Holinger to make your transmission to the specs of your choice. I have made a list of the various ratios that the "ready made" companies offer, so if you are interested, I will type them out and post them up here for everyone to see...

For fitting the current Holinger GT-R gearbox to the R34 you will require, an R32/R33 transfer case, a mounting bracket (Tomei sells that), and an R32 style clutch. I am not sure about your rear differential, but it *may* need changing depending on the final drive ratio you need.

Oh, and one more thing, you also have an option to have the clutch splines uprated on the Holinger. This means that Nissan clutches will not fit, however, with the new size you should still have plenty of options such as Titlon, HKS, etc.. I believe that the uprated clutch splines they use are the same as those used by Chevys (and we know that there's plenty of Chevy parts available in the US :)

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
GTuned

1. would be nice to have that ratio list on here
2. in case rear diff ratio changed, change front ratio too please...
3. Nismo have plates (at least for GMax clutches) to accomodate both types of splines: std Nissan and Chevy-style splines.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
GTuned said:

For fitting the current Holinger GT-R gearbox to the R34 you will require, an R32/R33 transfer case, a mounting bracket (Tomei sells that), and an R32 style clutch. I am not sure about your rear differential, but it *may* need changing depending on the final drive ratio you need.
Thanks for the info.

Do you happen to know whether the prop shaft needs to be changed on an R34 also? I was under the impression there were some differences in the lengths between R33 and R34.

BTW, the gear ratio information would definitely be useful if you get a chance to post it.

Cya O!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts