GTR Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Thats a great outcome mate at least you know your be able to buy another tidy gtr for that pay out where as if you accept say 7k it will most likely need money spending on it the golden rule with insurances is if you can prove that you will be well out of pocket if you accept say 7k as tidy gtrs may be worth 10k you have a good case but it does depend on how much you insured it for as with my gtst they worked out a premium based on the car being worth 7k and then offered me 4k when the car was sadly written off i would have been well out off pocket so i proved it was worth 7k and they finally agreed and paid out insurance companies always try it on and so do policy holders cheers matt

·
Registered
409 Posts
buy it back nice and cheap, fix it up then blow the rest on women and booze........oh and some shiny bits for your car:smokin:

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
That's the one guys. Too late for me to buy it back. I bought a replacement car, and to be honest, after 2 months without a car, I was sick of the situation. Was pleased to finally get it all sorted.

If anyone is interested in buying it, PM me and I'll give you all the details about what it was like mechanically.

Edit: Might as well just list all the facts here:

Engine completely sound, and unmodified. About 70k miles. Had very slight power loss when cold, around 2.5k-3k RPM, but nothing to write home about, and only occassional. Maybe slightly dirty AFMs? Engine seemed mint.

Syncromesh a bit shagged. Downshift to 2nd and 3rd not happy when cold (for 2 or 3 minutes). I was giving it some throttle to mesh up and change. Once warmed up, no problems at all. Was using heavy shockproof gear oil. Minor point.

Slight crack on left of front bumper where it meets the wheel arch. Could do with a bit of plastic welding to sort it. Only noticable close.

Right front bumper indicator developed leak. Would need to be fixed as bulb blew during the time it was off the road.

Could hear a slight grumble in the last month or two of ownership. Maybe a wheel bearing on its way out.

When I bought it, the castor was out on the front left wheel. Possible curbing or something. I couldn't resolve this which standard wheel alignment, so fitted a castor bush kit.

Also has HKS filter, exhaust (still has cat), Tein Flex dampers and EDFC in glove box. When it came in from Japan, it was on the deck, and had massive camber (all tyres bare on inside edge)! I had to get it raised, so I could get over speed humps. Fitted bush kit and RSP rear arms so alignment was at factory again. Still lower than standard. The hardest suspension in the known universe. I dont believe it had standard tein springs. With EDFC set to hard, you end up with itchy arse cheek syndrome from the ridiculous vibration. EDFC stayed on maximum soft all the time, and it was still rock hard.

Hicas was starting to develop some play, but still fully functional. Could probably do with an elimination kit, as suggested by Damo at RSP.

No other mechanical issues. As far as salvage goes, that'd make a really good car. In fact, if I had somewhere to park it, I would consider buying it back myself as a track car. Engine is perfect for modding, as it's completely unmolested. Not even remapped beyond standard HP.

It'd be cool if someone here snapped it up, so I could see it come back to life. ;)

Edit2: Service history. 30k miles in the UK over 3 years. £5k worth of Rising Sun Performance servicing in those 3 years (no modding, just servicing). Oil change every 5 or 6k miles. Brand new clutch (standard). Newish front discs (standard). Properly looked after (when I'm not reversing it into a post).

21 - 25 of 25 Posts