GTR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I am having some major gearbox problems. After buying a damaged os88 and getting it fully built by rb the box failed in less than 500 miles. I was told by the company that built my car that the os88 was a rubbish box and would never manage to take the power and that I would be far better to go PPG. So after a disagreement with rb over the reasons for the failure I decided to go PPG. Things have not gone well with the ppg ether and it has failed after a very small amount of Milage ( I will be posting a detailed account of my experiences with ppg at a later date).

I want to ask if anyone can recommend a good reliable sequential box and company. I will be using the car on the road aswell as drag. I have looked at samsonas but not sure as they are straight cut as apposed to helical cut. I would be very grateful for any information or advice.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I***8217;m sorry to hear this and I can***8217;t speak from experience yet but instead only research as this is something I will do one day But Samsonas or Albins.

My choice would be the Samsonas because albins you have to cut the tunnel.

·
Following EJH#25
6,837 Posts
If they're failing at really low milage, it's either:

1. Not put together right
2. Operator error
3. Too much torque for the application

A high percentage of the time, it's number 2 but nobody likes to think or admit they can't drive a sequential properly.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
If they're failing at really low milage, it's either:

1. Not put together right
2. Operator error
3. Too much torque for the application

A high percentage of the time, it's number 2 but nobody likes to think or admit they can't drive a sequential properly.
I agree with Matt number 1 and 2 but if used on the road then number 2. Hence why I just rebuilt my Getrag instead of going for a sequential unless you also have the paddle setup like Matts which I assume helps a lot!

·
Following EJH#25
6,837 Posts
unless you also have the paddle setup like Matts which I assume helps a lot!
Massively Nick, my past 2 failures were actually input shafts as a result of launching hard, I've since installed a Tilton clutch FCV and had no issues since.
The paddle-shift does exactly what it says on the tin and has protected the gears perfectly, they look like new on every inspection now.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the response. Yes I absolutely understand that user error is generally the cause failures. PPG have finally admitted it***8217;s their error during the build process as the gears have zero damage. It took a serious fight with them to cover it under warranty. In all honesty the attitude from PPG was and is disgusting. This is the reason I am looking elsewhere as I no longer want to be associated with them.

The car is running 1000+ bhp and 850 ftlb***8217;s of torque. Would love to go back to the getrag but just won***8217;t take that kinda power.

·
Registered
9,677 Posts
Samsonas would get my vote. Great customer service and after sales having supplied their Skyline sequential setup for a customer.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Massively Nick, my past 2 failures were actually input shafts as a result of launching hard, I've since installed a Tilton clutch FCV and had no issues since.
The paddle-shift does exactly what it says on the tin and has protected the gears perfectly, they look like new on every inspection now.
Are you still running the Hollinger?

·
Following EJH#25
6,837 Posts
Still running the Holinger with the Shiftec paddle-shift. We did look at swapping the gearbox control to the MoTeC ECU but the tried and tested advice was to keep the setup as is.

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
Looking at the Samsonas website they dont list GTR??

TT

·
Registered
255 Posts
Interesting, may I ask what other Sequential you have tried before the OS88? They are pretty agricultural, some people get on with them others don't.

PPG not had first hand experience if I am honest although I had experience with spares and trying to get them through the UK was an experience I would not like to ever repeat.

Samsonas I am a huge fan of great support and quality materials about the best in the business , have experience with them in Evo's and Subaru they are both super smooth in shifting . It would be my choice of box.

Jason Wright in OZ has sold a fair amount and has in his own car, there are a few videos online in car so take a look and see what you think...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvL8632QUFU

Rich

3,663 Posts
What was the issue with the PPG?

850lb/ft torque is big torque on a RB, road car or drag car?

ECU what are you using? Flatshift or not?

I must admit a lot of damage on sequential is due to user error due to bad shifting.

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
it surprising mark how many people cant use them right , then blame the product

1 - 16 of 16 Posts