GTR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know this is not GTR related but i thought you guys could help...

Right my parents bought a R Plate Rover 400 (38,000Miles) Turbo Diesel last year. They paid £5K for the car and got 1 year warranty on the vehicle for parts and labour up to £1K. Now just over a month ago the cars turbo blew, filled the whole car with smoke and left a long trail of smoke and oil down the street. The company that the car was purchased from said that their mechanic was currently very busy but the terms of the warranty stated that it could be taken to any garage. We took the car to a garage that was recomended by the garage we purchased the car from they found out the turbo had died so the company who had warrantied the car agreed for it to be replaced. The turbo was sent to a company that reconditions turbos and they have done so. But now the company that have warrantied the car have refused to pay for the work to be done because a foreign body had gotten into the airflow of the turbo and shattered the turbine (Ceramic i presume).:mad: We have gotten on to the company that we have bought the car from and they have gotten on to the warranty company and have got them to agree to pay for the cost of the turbo recon but they will not pay for the labour!!! THIS IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH! Surely the only foreign objects that can get into the airflow of a turbo turbine are parts of the engine ie nuts bots washers etc from the head or block which is part of the engine and covered by warranty! This leaves me to wonder if there is something else wrong with the engine! The worst part of it is that 10 mins before the turbo went they were driving on the M1 if it had gone then they could have caused a huge crash and been killed!!!
Can any of you give me some advice about? Particularly the guys who work with turbos all day ie abby, paul and others...
Cheers

Its really like myself that builds PC For a living... If a PSU on a system started to break up for some reason and part of it dropped onto the cpu fan to cause it to stop spinning and thus causing the cpu to overheat and die that it would not be covered by warranty... WFT!!! :mad::mad:

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Id have thought that the WHOLE lot should be covered... as you say nothing can get into the turbo, without going through the cylinders first...

But I tend to get stiched up with warranty and insurance... I bought a Jetboat for £6000 from a broker... was told it was in good working orderI liked the look of the thing so I paid the whole lot in cash that day and arranged to have it checked over by an expert... my mistake... cos I paid in full It was my problem... so new starter, prop, prop liner (nearly £1500 parts&labour) and 8 months later its almost working properly... and did i get anything out of the company, not a penny... but I was allowed to launch the boat for free to have it tested once!

sorry to ramble OT, but I hate the current amount of consumer 'protection' that we have when buying second hand...

but i just dont have the cash to buy new... arse.... im trapped!

·
Registered
26,315 Posts
I seem to remember a similar question some months ago. The problem then was determining what failed first and what the cause was. You need to be able to prove what failed first (very difficult) if you are going to pursue it.

John

·
Registered
905 Posts
I once owned a S13 200SX had it for one week and the same happened, ie LOTS OF SMOKE!!! Took it to the garage and they too said, sorry not covered by the warranty, as they too tried to claim a foriegn body in the air flow. m

I simply told them that if this wasn't fixed, I would report them to trading standards, and privatly sue. They slept on it and the car was in next day for a brand new Hybrid from Turbo Technics!!

Apparantly so the mec said (I dont know about the validity of this) that the turbo oil feed pipe was clogged, thus leading to the failure...... this was down to the crap oil they had put in the previous week when the serviced the car....... buggars!!!

So the mech also uprated the oil feed for nothing....

Si

1 - 5 of 5 Posts