GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok people, here's the deal...

I've owned my current Skyline (R33 GTR) for nigh on 6 months and am ready to unleash the cheque-book on it.

The thing is, I bought an R33 GTR as I couldn't afford an R34 GTR.

My car, in my opinion, is a great example. Had a fully rebuilt engine about 10k ago with uprated internals and bigger turbo's. All done by the previous owner.

The chap ran out of money so although the set-up for 500+bhp is there he didn't have the money to complete the tuning so it's currently running stock boost on the stock ecu. So it's probably getting 300bhp at the fly and it quite laggy.

In my opinion this was the correct way to do it, rather than just winding up the boost immediately before the rest of the engine could handle it. So it's running well within its' means but I'm quite used to it now.

I'm due to be driving to Germany in a couple of weeks and hope to take a trip to the ring, so I need to make the following decision VERY QUICKLY!

This is where you lot come in ;) (if you don't mind of course)

I've been offered a very good deal from a tuner who has been recommended to me by other members of this forum. This should see a safe, reliable 500+bhp with the parts etc that would be fitted and the subsequent mapping.

But as we all know you never get back what you spend on a car.

So do I go mad, tune the car up the level it's crying out to be OR sit tight and resist and save up so I can P/X for an R34 GTR later (don't know when later might be mind you).

I'm tempted to go for the first option and just do it. It is summer n'all and I have a great driving holiday ahead of me. But will I regret it?

I'd like to hear from people that have been in the same position (there must be loads of you) and your reasons for doing what you did and if you have any regrets.

Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
ring sumo power or abbey or any other well known garage, make an appointment and say that you need it asap.

they'll get you a nice ECU and boost up.

i understand the turbo's have been done already? also, make sure the check the uprated internals, the chap could have been lying(if it wasnt someone of the forum).

if everything is fine they should be able to get it to about 500hp.

keep the R33 btw, lovely car! if you really want an R34, do the 500 hp fix and then wait till next year to sell this one and get an R34

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Appreciate the response and the advice mate.

Yeah. didn't think that I might actually be able to do both.. d'oh!

Seems so obvious now you've said it!

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cky said:
Hope you get a R34GTR the best.

Just curious but are you a broker?
So you're saying wait, leave it as it is and get an R34 GTR when I can?

Yes I'm a mortgage broker.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Pretty much. BUT I've never owned a 33GTR, I started with a 34GTT and now a 34GTR and I love the 34GTR and to anyone thinking of buying I strongly recommend.

The only thing is I dont know if you will get much differance from a 33 GTR considering they are both the same engine and 4wheel drive system etc.

I am thinking of a job change to a broker of some description, maybe a stock broker.

Could I ask if its worth it? and what kind of job and money is it?
Thanks

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your input.

With regards to career choice. The only way I can get it down to a simple sentence is... It has its' good points, it has its' bad points. Like everything I suppose.

I guess stock broking is more glamorous with bigger money but a higher toll on your time and possibly health.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
I would go for it to be honest....you could always get the R34 with a standard engine and swap them over :) or get a std engine and put it into the R33 and then sell the R33....get the R34 with std engine and put the modified engine into it....then sell the R34 engine, these are pretty rare so you should get some change....possibly!!

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Go to someone good as stated like GT-Art, RB or Abbey. The things other than the turbos to make sure have been done are the injectors and any fuel pump change that is needed, oil cooler if driving on the autob's in Germany and of course an EGT gauge to make sure nothing goes pop.

A powerFC/commander and map should cost about a grand all in with injectors about £600 or so extra I think and maybe boost controllers and other bits and peices could add to this. If the turbo and internal stuff is already done and all the others bit and pieces then it will be the best grand you ever spent :) but will cost over £2000 easily if the other stuff is missing.

·
Registered
303 Posts
hi

GeorgeBush said:
Ok people, here's the deal...

I've owned my current Skyline (R33 GTR) for nigh on 6 months and am ready to unleash the cheque-book on it.

The thing is, I bought an R33 GTR as I couldn't afford an R34 GTR.

My car, in my opinion, is a great example. Had a fully rebuilt engine about 10k ago with uprated internals and bigger turbo's. All done by the previous owner.

The chap ran out of money so although the set-up for 500+bhp is there he didn't have the money to complete the tuning so it's currently running stock boost on the stock ecu. So it's probably getting 300bhp at the fly and it quite laggy.

In my opinion this was the correct way to do it, rather than just winding up the boost immediately before the rest of the engine could handle it. So it's running well within its' means but I'm quite used to it now.

I'm due to be driving to Germany in a couple of weeks and hope to take a trip to the ring, so I need to make the following decision VERY QUICKLY!

This is where you lot come in ;) (if you don't mind of course)

I've been offered a very good deal from a tuner who has been recommended to me by other members of this forum. This should see a safe, reliable 500+bhp with the parts etc that would be fitted and the subsequent mapping.

But as we all know you never get back what you spend on a car.

So do I go mad, tune the car up the level it's crying out to be OR sit tight and resist and save up so I can P/X for an R34 GTR later (don't know when later might be mind you).

I'm tempted to go for the first option and just do it. It is summer n'all and I have a great driving holiday ahead of me. But will I regret it?

I'd like to hear from people that have been in the same position (there must be loads of you) and your reasons for doing what you did and if you have any regrets.

Thanks for reading.

rb26 bottom ends can take upto 900bhp standard pistons rods crank, only good for short bursts though ie drag use!!! in usa theres a drag skyline running 1300bhp standard bottom end!!! i no from experience that a well built rb26 with standard pistons rods and crank can easily run 650bhp at the flywheel and are good for around 30000miles before bigends go, not standard big ends of course only nismo last that long.

·
Registered
4,936 Posts
High Octane said:
rb26 bottom ends can take upto 900bhp standard pistons rods crank, only good for short bursts though ie drag use!!! in usa theres a drag skyline running 1300bhp standard bottom end!!! i no from experience that a well built rb26 with standard pistons rods and crank can easily run 650bhp at the flywheel and are good for around 30000miles before bigends go, not standard big ends of course only nismo last that long.
Did you mean a supra's crank not a Skylne??? 900bhp on a standard skyline crank no way mate well may be for a short blast:runaway: :runaway: :runaway: .

Mick

·
Registered
277 Posts
I had my R32 running standard boost on a standard ECU... it had HKS hard pipes, uprated radiator, HKS filters, air flow meters etc. etc. it had N1 turbos...Basically a LOT done to the car but it only ran standard ECU and standard boost... I went out with a few folk, including Dave Wilkins who did say before it if he took me out in his I'd WANT 500 bhp ... but what sealed the fate for me mate was a 400bhp GTS going past... HUGE credit to the GTS... but I KNEW my GT-R with the bits on it and bit of work would EASY make 500 bhp ...

Let's just say I PRAY I SEE that GTS everytime I am in the car now...

Why have a GT-R @ 300 bhp when a decent GTS will do 400 bhp...

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
Sell it and buy on of the 500bhp+ R32 GTR's up for sale at the mo :D Then spend the change on a Do Luck bodykit and some TE37s or Do Luck double sixes :D

·
Registered
303 Posts
hi

m6beg said:
Did you mean a supra's crank not a Skylne??? 900bhp on a standard skyline crank no way mate well may be for a short blast:runaway: :runaway: :runaway: .

Mick
nope, the skyline standard crank rods and pistons can hold 900bhp, as ive stated for short bursts ie drag use!! croydon racing developments (who did sum work on marios car) built a gtr with 900bhp at the flywheel running standard crank rods and pistons, this car was for drag use and proved to be very fast!

·
R35 Section manager
10,918 Posts
Spend the money on the 33 and enjoy!
If you did buy a 34,you would only want to tune it up and spend even more money!

33 all the way.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts