GTR Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Is there a place that can re-face the speedometer to read in MPH? Not just the in-line limiters...

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
What do you mean, why do you need to re-face a stock GTR speedo? The GTR come stock with a 180km/h speedo, you just have to convert it to read MPH. Unless it is a used GTR that have a 320 km/h speedo put in.

Unless you mean you want to change the km/h letter to MPH? Just put a sticker on it.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
When Motorex convert their cars, they put a MPH sticker over the km/h.

I actually prefer the km/h, because I like the JDM feel.

Hope this answer your question.

Jeff

·
Registered
426 Posts
TRL - is a UK based company which makes bespoke electronics.

Pete Betts who owns the company is a Supra enthusiast so he created for us a Speed De-limiter and converter - Limited Fuel Cut Defenser and he's working on a few custom projects which we haven't been given the details of...but we believe one is an all-in-1 meter display (EGT's, Boost, etc all on one MFD)

Anyway his stuff work, period.

Have a look at the site.

http://www.trlperformance.com

PS - if he doesn't do what you're looking for then e-mail and ask, Pete will give you an honest answer as to whether he can help or not.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Best way to convert an R33 is to modify the factory speedo, it is very straight forward to do.

Put an MPH sticker on the front and your done.

R34's need a speed coverter to scale the pulses from the transmission down. I have always been suspicious that this interferes with the operation of the atessa as the brain now reads the speed as being lower than it actually is.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Hugh

You're right about the R34.
The R32 has a reed relais in the dash that is actuated by a mechanical cable from the gearbox.
Don't know about the R33; I think it's electronic too like the R34 so that would produce the same problems as the R34.

Andre.

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
Just buy the genuine Nissan replacement mph speedo head, easy to fit, no interference with anything and no stickers. Even has kph on the inner rim.

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Roughly how much is it mate?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the replies everyone.

I received a quote today for £212 from Abbey Motorsport for a new meter, I think that's the way I'll go.

Who/what is MM ?

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Andre,

The 33 is much better than the 34 as you can muck about with the calibration of the speedo by altering jumpers on the back of the circuit board. This has no effect on the pulses to the rest of the system and also let's you calibrate for different sizes of wheels.

I am going to play about with my R34 in the next week or so to see if it is possible to re-insert the KPH pulse after the speedo to correct the information for the rest of the system.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Hugh

Didn't know that; I jumped from R32 to R34 :smokin:
I'd like to know the number of pulses per meter and the duty cycle for the standard car, since I have to generate that signal from the Motec electronics. Do you know that ?
I suspect it's the same as for the R32; the R32 had it printed on the speedo somewhere; unfortunately I haven't got that any more (I had that small fire :( )

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
jza80 said:
Thanks for all the replies everyone.

I received a quote today for £212 from Abbey Motorsport for a new meter, I think that's the way I'll go.

Who/what is MM ?
Is that an original Uk spec Nissan item, or something aftermarket like Mines??

1 - 14 of 14 Posts