GTR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

A friend of mine is selling his BNR32 Ohlins coil-over but I can't find any info on these. Are they worth it? I'm a daily-driver with OEM coilover and RS*R spring.

Part number: Part number: CT6-S0200-50

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
The Japanese Ohlins are totally different and inferior to the Scandinavian "proper" ones, they are just made under licence. To be honest a set of Bilsteins are far superior, easily re-valvable, and re-buildable, as well as easy to get new, and cheap. The Jap Ohlins are prone to shaft seals leaking, and the chrome pitting or flaking off the piston rods.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Not totally true Chris,

They are still easily re buildable and re valveable.

there are approved ohlins repair centres all over the uk and most dont even advertise that fact, my local motorbike place took my Evo Ohlins shocks and re valved and re sealed them to suit my usage and only took 35 per damper and done them within a few hours.

Most motorbike shops can do Ohlins quite easily as they are std fit on a load of motorbikes :)

The reason they are said to not be as good as the "proper" ones is purely due to the valving being too firm for our roads which leads to seals popping and dead spots on the shock stroke which then leads to areas on the shaft where the shock can stick and therefore corrode and lead to the plating coming off.

Rebuilt properly for our roads as above and you will have a set of cracking shocks as good as any made in the "proper" ohlins factory :)

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
I maintain the piston, valving, sealing and shafts are totally inferior to the the proper Ohlins built units. Different as chalk and cheese.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Yes but like I said, if you take them to an Ohlins approved centre that stuff can all replaced with genuine Ohlins internals which come from the european factory :)

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
They'd have to change the actual piston rods and bushes and seals to bigger diameter ones for a start, as the Swedish Ohlins use thicker shafts. It'd not be worth the cost.

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Personaly I wouldn't bother with them, They are a very basic shock with only spring adjustment and no dampening adjustment.....And as Matty said, look very old.

....Save your money and buy something either new, or current/available in your country.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Personaly I wouldn't bother with them, They are a very basic shock with only spring adjustment and no dampening adjustment.....And as Matty said, look very old.

....Save your money and buy something either new, or current/available in your country.
They have damping adjustment up on top, you can see the adjuster in the pictures.

Its all well saying save your money but lets face it, if hes getting these cheap then there deffo worth it ! I seen a set go for an rx7 for £150 and thats a bargain by anyones standards as long as there in working order ! :smokin:

·
Registered
1 Posts
@ Sideways Steve - i have found this thread through some googling - I have these Jap-spec Ohlins on my MX5 which I'm trying to get fixed up. I tried sending you a mail the other day, not sure if you owuld have got it or not.

I'm desperate to know where you got yours rebuilt for £35ea, currently I'm being quoted £125ea by an Ohlins dealer, which is more than the cost of Brand new GAZ Golds or Koni's.

If you can help please let me know, either here or on the email!

Many thanks, Simon.

(PS nice forum!:thumbsup:)

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
I have some pretty trick ohlins / use them on the track when I can be ass'd swapping them over , they have a VERY high spring rate.

Yes but like I said, if you take them to an Ohlins approved centre that stuff can all replaced with genuine Ohlins internals which come from the european factory
I rang the NZ Supplier and service people for ohlins and they did not want to even look at my japanese ohlin's, they said they would be next to impossible to get any parts for, and I would be better off binning them and buying something else....
true story ...

Much the same response when I wanted to tootoo with my N1's

1 - 12 of 12 Posts