GTR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, my engine builder wants to get my motor finished which means I need to buy an oil pump. I have researched the topic, and have come to the conclusion that the Tomei is the best, followed by the HKS, JUN, and then the NISMO pump. I hear alot of negative comments about the N1 pump, although the comments are usually not followed by actuall experiences. The car will only be used for occasional drag runs and messing about on the highway. I would like to see the engine produce around 600 whp without excessive revs (8000 rpm max). My question to you all is, can an N1 pump handle the these conditions or will the next step be necessary? The engine is fully built, forged pistons, rods, ARP bolts, balanced, ported/polished, springs, esc. I would truly appreciate the advice.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
I bought a Tomei solely because the oil pressure relief valve can be shimmed without taking the engine out and the sump off :) I think it is alone in having the relief valve external to the casing.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
the N1 pumps got a lot of bad press at one stage because it would appear they produced a reputed 'bad' batch. and kept breaking, they are more or less standard but for most cars (lightly modified) will be just fine. 600hp is probably the point where most people would say that they are just out of their depth. jun will be more than substantial for 600 however tomei still make the best. its all about the tomei pump and extended sump.:thumbsup:

i lost an engine to oil pressure problems:bawling:, my advise is the tomei and a new oil pressure guage, watch it like a hawk!!!

kev

queue tobys input shortly.....

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Have you extended the sump and addressed other oil system deficiencies ? Ie tomei restrictor, rear core plug scavenge etc , whilst you have the motor out.
I have a Tomei and think it is the best bar a dry sump conv.
It needs a large reservoir as it can shift a lot of oil.:D
best wishes
Cokey

1 - 5 of 5 Posts