GTR Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking which way to put the engine back in with the gearbox attached or put the gear box in first and then the engine once built. I am working I on a drive and don't have the luxury of ramps or able to lift the front of the car very high.

Is it possible to drop the engine straight in if the gearbox is already fitted? Any tricks of tips for doing this?

Interested to hear from those who have done both on an R32.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Very interested in hearing pros/cons on the option on this myself although i´m leaning towards having the gearbox, engine and front subframe mounted as one piece, should save a lot of aches on the bellhousing bolts.

Altough doing that would require a hoist, atleast it would be a lot easier as it would require you to put the front end pretty high as you say.

Just put the package on a movable pallet with car on the hoist, gently lower the car making sure not to scratch anything and once its leveled it should be a breeze to just bolt everything together.

·
Premium Member
6,279 Posts
I put my engine and box in together from the top. When I took them out I dropped the subframe/engine + gearbox out as one unit from underneath.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Im going to try it as a whole unit. Put a trolley jack under the gearbox and get someone to keep pulling back and jacking up while you lower the engine in. Also a skate board helps.

·
Premium Member
6,279 Posts
honestly getting the engine and gearbox back in from the top was easy - I did it myself with just an engine hoist on my drive.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
My dad suggested to cut the front upper slam panel off and fit the engine and box as a whole, then fab up two brackets to bolt the slam pamel back on making it removable in future which would make the job alot easier!

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
honestly getting the engine and gearbox back in from the top was easy - I did it myself with just an engine hoist on my drive.
Sounds good so its definately something that can be done. And if you did it yourself then it should be alot easier with more people.

·
Premium Member
6,279 Posts
My dad suggested to cut the front upper slam panel off and fit the engine and box as a whole, then fab up two brackets to bolt the slam pamel back on making it removable in future which would make the job alot easier!
I think RJT did that on his car - check his thread

·
Registered
9,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not keen on cutting the slam panel

How about fitting the engine in after the box how hard is it to get it in this way and also to put the top gearbox bolts in?

·
Premium Member
6,279 Posts
I can't comment on that - I only did it once and that was when it was all put together.

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
The easiest way I have found is to bolt the gearbox to the engine. Remove the front subframe and slide it out. Fit the engine to the subframe. Use the engine hoist to raise the front of the car a good height and support. Lift the engine/subframe assy and lower onto the legs of the engine hoist. Put a jack under the gearbox (anything with wheels). Roll the whole assy under the body. Chuck the subframe and remove the engine hoist. Using the engine hoist, lower the shell back onto the subframe.
This is a one man job. Although it might take a few hours more, there is now difficult bit. It's just straight forward spannering.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I did mine last weekend, I put everything in together, all manifolds, downpipe, turbos, gearbox the lot. Wasn't very difficult and was done on my drive with just a trolley jack and engine crane.
Much easier than trying to lift a gearbox in place on a driveway with limited ramps. I would never consider splitting it in the car, why make more work for yourself?! Out of the car you have lots of room to bolt everything up and check it. Once it's in place it also saves doing up all awkward bolts and cutting your hands to shreds trying to reach them.

That was all done with the slam panel intack and the subframe all bolted up. The front driveshafts were even in place.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts