GTR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to winch my R34 onto the back of a trailer.

The car has to go on forwards (weight at the front), so I have to use the front towing eye.

The front towing eye is hidden behind the front splitter.. the thing is, I've removed the lowest part of the splitter (allen bolts) and while I can SEE the towing eye, there's no way I could use it.. do I need to remove the other black piece of splitter too (hex bolts) ?

(I don't want to drive the car on and burn the clutch out.)

·
Registered
211 Posts
You can use one of the trailing arms or a part from the subframe, if it has any, to hook on to.
All those parts are strong enough to pull the car.
Maybe there's a spot near the engine mounts.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Still doesn't answer my question.

There's a towing eye at the front, with no apparent way of using it.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you re-read what I wrote in my original question Joss, you will see that I have removed the lower part of the front skirt/splitter with the allen-key provided.

I can now SEE the towing eye, but there's no way to use it.

·
Registered
404 Posts
One in the (towing) eye

I towed my R33 from Germany to England and back last year.

I missed the ferry going to England, because it took me 2 [email protected]#$%^& hours to remove the front splitter not only to get access to the towing eye but also to have enough ground clearance at the front to winch it onto the trailer. :rolleyes:

So to answer question yes you do need to remove the whole front splitter to get a GT-R onto a trailer. :(

Paul.

PS. It takes me 10 mins start to finish to put my wife’s Lotus Elise onto the same trailer.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Like the oil question I had, I called Middlehurst for the definitive answer again..

They say that to lash the car down, you need to remove the lower splitter (spanner provided in car). That gives access to the towing eye, so that it can be tied to something it's sat on, but it still can't be used to pull the car along with (as the rope would foul the remaining spliter bodywork)..

If you really MUST tow the car from the front eye, then you need to remove the splitter entirely. It's a fairly time consuming job and it may not go back together 100% (clips etc flying around)

When they tow cars, they put a strap around the front cross member.

If that's not accessible, then in EXTREME circumstances, they pull the car by the strut brace mounts, but emphasised to not pull from the middle of the brace as it will bend.

In reality, it's not the best car for towing, winching.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts