GTR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i never put in spark plugs for my R32 GTR so im wondering is there something i need to know as far as gap for it or something special so i dont mess anything up.

I have Iridium NGK heat rating 6 plugs.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
it's pretty straight forward - but I would only use those plugs on a standard GTR - if you have mods, including increased boost, I would look towards NGK PFR7A gapped to 0.7mm. Changing plugs is easy, if a little time consuming as you have to pull the centre cover off the engine, then remove all the coils, then the plugs. It would also help to put a little copper slip (anti-seize) on the new plug threads before you install them - stops the steel plug thread galling the alloy threads in the head. And don't wind 'em up too tight - they're not wheel nuts!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey thanks! I'm sure ill be ok with the ones I got because I have stock turbos (sux) and I have no boost controller so I know I have to be running stock I feel so powerless.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I found more of a problem then I thought it was. I checked my fuel today and smelled the dip stick and it smelled like fuel/oil mix. I'm sure this is a piston ring issue if not something similar. Never took apart an RB26 before so i'm not sure how much this will cost or if I can even do it myself. So bummer me, also I noticed they had NOS stickers on there before I bought it from Japan so that's also an indicator of why i think it's piston rings.

·
Official GTR.co.uk Photographer
2,671 Posts
iridiums are prone to braking there tips on modified GTR's .

have heard of it happening to others and its happend to me in the past too a few times hence why its better to stick to a more solid spark plug ( atleast not iridiums ).

ive heard the tips fire through the my exhaust before , not a comfortable feeling .

they might be alright for standard GTR's though .

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
hmmm. the dipstick might smell a bit like fuel, but if it's a strong smell then I would recommend getting a compression or leak-down test done.

regarding the iridiums - I ran them in my GTR for quite a while on 1 bar no probs, but I had to get setting the gap down as it would run ok for a few months then start mis-firing on full boost - which is why I chucked them away and put the PFR's in - which for the same money are a much better plug!!

·
2,671 Posts
mine was running 1.4 bar and frequently loosing the ceramic parts surrounding the tips then i changed to greddy number 6's by recomendation of ron at Rk tuning and after that mine never had a problem with spark plugs .

wasted alot of money on iridiums with my old tuner .

·
2,671 Posts
mine was running 1.4 bar and frequently loosing the ceramic parts surrounding the tips then i changed to greddy number 6's by recomendation of ron at Rk tuning and after that mine never had a problem with spark plugs .

wasted alot of money on iridiums with my old tuner .
not no:6's , i ment no:8's lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts