GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I'd show people what happens to un-lacquered polished split rims if you drive them in the winter on salted wet road and then leave them for 2 weeks! i.e. They get destroyed. My before and after pics are shown below after taking over 4 hours to get ONE wheel back to how its supposed to be. The wheels were cleaned and sealed with Big White 1000P High Temp Paste Wax before winter started. I usually wipe them down after every drive just to stop the below from happening but as it was raining after my last drive and then the snow started and didn’t stop for over a week I couldn’t. Lesson learned don't drive in winter with polished wheels unless you own a garage to clean them immediately!! :chairshot

Before:

After:

So only another 12 hours of numb hands, ar*e and cronic back pain to endure for the other 3 :runaway:

·
Registered
55 Posts
I had the same thing with my split rims after they were refurbished! The road salt started to attack the new rim bolts and polished rim. I normally clean them when i get in, but like you it was raining and i left it.. a day or two later they needed serious elbow to revive them. Not good

·
GTR Register Member
268 Posts
I also have the same problem, what polish do you guys use?

I'm currently using Belgom, was wondering if there is anything else out there that does the job better / quicker.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi D_m4n I don't what the other guys use but I use Meguiars NXT metal polish as advised by Alex at Serious performance. I also use 1000P High Temp Sealant Wax which worked really well untill I left them with the salt from the gritters for a week. The NXT is good becuase its not a harsh polish but takes a while if you leave the wheels to get in the state I did.

Hope this helps.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
same issue with my lms as well :(

i cant remember what metal polish i use, but got it from alex as well, is good stuff. cuts away the damage from the salt and also any caked in brake dust that hasnt been removed by cleaning.

then use 1000p to seal them. need to split my wheels to clean properly between the bolts. oh happy days! your wheels looks stunning though :)

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks G40tee. I let a 'friend' of mine drive it just before New Year and he scraped both passenger side wheels on a kerb driving to close to a corner coming off a roundabout so now he has a bill for £400 and a black eye! :chairshot I know what you mean about cleaning/polishing under the bolts. I gave up after bashing the crap out of my fingers for an hour.

·
GTR Register Member
268 Posts
Hi D_m4n I don't what the other guys use but I use Meguiars NXT metal polish as advised by Alex at Serious performance. I also use 1000P High Temp Sealant Wax which worked really well untill I left them with the salt from the gritters for a week. The NXT is good becuase its not a harsh polish but takes a while if you leave the wheels to get in the state I did.

Hope this helps.

I'll give it a try, thanks guys.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
This is why I don't bother driving mine over the winter!
Just imagine what it's doing to the rest of the car? eeeekkk!!!:nervous::runaway::nervous:
:)
bob

·
Premium Member
8,829 Posts
Yep, got that T shirt as well !! Bloody split rims or is it the councils fault ? Yeah, i reckon it is !!! LOL

·
Registered
9,654 Posts
DEAN J is another wheel polishing fanatic on this forum ... aren't you :chuckle:

·
6,817 Posts
DEAN J is another wheel polishing fanatic on this forum ... aren't you :chuckle:
We could be good friends mate,

We both love showcars and extravagant bodykits and first of all clean polished cars .. don`t we??:cool:

I clean about 2 set of wheels daily for customers, all BBS-Rays category, and many have chrome colour. We tried 6779870898 coating products and none was effective in winter/salt and break dust burns.
If you own expensive shiny wheels, as the LM BBS for exemple, weekly maintenance is a must to keep them in near new quality. I guess the best would be to coat the wheels with an additional clear lacker, thought on chrome wheels you have to let it be done by pros, as the shine effect of the chrome will be ****ed after.

·
Registered
9,654 Posts
Or buy a large crate of vaseline (hiding its delivery from the neighbours in case any of the blokes start winking at you) to smear over & absolutely cover your wheels after all the afore mentioned cleaning & lacker!

Or by a set of 'winter wheels' & keep your good ones for the better seasons ...

Or get a run around & garage it for the winter like moi!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts