GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
more PR for Nissan... they must be laughing...

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
i dont care about porsche,as long as i can easily overtake on trackdays...:wavey:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Come on guy's have a heart, times are hard for Porsche........according to Autocar it costs them a whole £6,000 more to manufacture a turbo over a Boxter!!

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Come on guy's have a heart, times are hard for Porsche........according to Autocar it costs them a whole £6,000 more to manufacture a turbo over a Boxter!!
And it doesn´t cost them a lot to manufactur a Boxster;)

·
Banned
11,494 Posts
Some people still think the new 997 Turbo has lapped under 7:30. It hasn't, it's still at 7:39, so it hasn't even matched the 2008 GTR yet. So it's 13 seconds or 2 years behind, depending on how you look at it.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
dont really understand what people see in Porsches - have never liked them, and have owned plenty of performance cars of the years. - 911 turbo is just a name, and an old one at that....... but no match for GTR!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Its non sensicle, the GTR has a decent boot, doesnt look the same as it did 40 years ago, looks a million times better. Its cheaper by miles too. They are not comparable.
I do quite like the new GT3, but one would never tick all the boxes that the GTR does.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Is any one else bored of this 911 vs GTR saga yet?
I am, and have been from the Start. To see some Porsche fanatics laugh their butts off because the half-as-expensive GTR is slower here and slower there... It's just rediculous.

I wouldn't give a flying piece from my Back for those seconds on the Ring, almost no one on here or the other forums is able to reproduce those times, so why even care about them?

Best Bang for the Buck seems to be the Nissan. Full Stop.

Marc

·
Registered
198 Posts
Raced against a few turbos and to be honest, why buy a car that fast if 1. you cant drive and 2.you buy it for the looks. Meaning i annihilated them.

·
Registered
142 Posts
About 3 years ago I bought myself a 2yr old 996 turbo ,it used to be my dream car.
You can't imagine my fustration , I found it underwhelming in all aspects. It was only after a full exhaust replacement and custom map that it felt like something special, but I never got used to the front end nervousness.

With the GTR it has lived up to the hype and more.

·
Premium Member
8,829 Posts
I can and do regularly overtake, pass and p*ss all over Porkers in my R33, the R35 just kills them DEAD! LOL. Also, an Audi RS8 V10 at JPA on the 31st October !

·
Registered
6 Posts
Some people still think the new 997 Turbo has lapped under 7:30. It hasn't, it's still at 7:39, so it hasn't even matched the 2008 GTR yet. So it's 13 seconds or 2 years behind, depending on how you look at it.
The 7:39 reported time was on the standard Bridgestones (RE050's, I believe). This is 10 seconds faster than Porsche's time for the older Turbo on similar tires. With the optional Pilot Sport Cups, the Turbo lapped in 7:38 last year. Subtract 10 seconds from that and the sub-7:30 time is believable. Keep in mind that Porsche doesn't do all-out 'Ring attacks like Nissan, on a closed course. They tend to report times while running with other cars during industry days.
Don't be surprised if the new Turbo starts beating the GT-R in magazine comparos. It has a more advanced AWD system than before and now a dual-clutch transmission. This addresses two major shortcomings of the old car. There are also detail refinements to lower the CoG and the addition of dynamic engine mounts as well.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I would think the Porsche cooling is better, and this is even more impressive considering the challenges of cooling a rear mounted engine.

I would prefer the Porsche engine from the point of view of direct injection and VTG turbos, it should give a wider power band than the GTR.

However, I would not prefer the Porsche weight distribution, and the direct injection pumps/injectors/ECM control will be a right pain to modify properly.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
A friend of mine has a manual 997 carrera 2. I had a little drive of it on some country roads. I didn't push it very hard because it wasn't my car and I always start off gently in an unfamiliar car. I enjoyed driving it. Precise steering and compliant front end. Good ergonomics....all the controls feel like they are in the right place- you can just get in and drive it intuitively. It felt like it could do with more power. I think a GT2 would be fun

1 - 20 of 28 Posts