GTR Forum banner

new 911 turbo vs R35

3K views 27 replies 21 participants last post by  Stachi 
#1 ·
#17 ·
The 7:39 reported time was on the standard Bridgestones (RE050's, I believe). This is 10 seconds faster than Porsche's time for the older Turbo on similar tires. With the optional Pilot Sport Cups, the Turbo lapped in 7:38 last year. Subtract 10 seconds from that and the sub-7:30 time is believable. Keep in mind that Porsche doesn't do all-out 'Ring attacks like Nissan, on a closed course. They tend to report times while running with other cars during industry days.
Don't be surprised if the new Turbo starts beating the GT-R in magazine comparos. It has a more advanced AWD system than before and now a dual-clutch transmission. This addresses two major shortcomings of the old car. There are also detail refinements to lower the CoG and the addition of dynamic engine mounts as well.

#12 ·
Its non sensicle, the GTR has a decent boot, doesnt look the same as it did 40 years ago, looks a million times better. Its cheaper by miles too. They are not comparable.
I do quite like the new GT3, but one would never tick all the boxes that the GTR does.

#15 ·
About 3 years ago I bought myself a 2yr old 996 turbo ,it used to be my dream car.
You can't imagine my fustration , I found it underwhelming in all aspects. It was only after a full exhaust replacement and custom map that it felt like something special, but I never got used to the front end nervousness.

With the GTR it has lived up to the hype and more.

#16 ·
I can and do regularly overtake, pass and p*ss all over Porkers in my R33, the R35 just kills them DEAD! LOL. Also, an Audi RS8 V10 at JPA on the 31st October !

#18 ·
I would think the Porsche cooling is better, and this is even more impressive considering the challenges of cooling a rear mounted engine.

I would prefer the Porsche engine from the point of view of direct injection and VTG turbos, it should give a wider power band than the GTR.

However, I would not prefer the Porsche weight distribution, and the direct injection pumps/injectors/ECM control will be a right pain to modify properly.

#20 ·
A friend of mine has a manual 997 carrera 2. I had a little drive of it on some country roads. I didn't push it very hard because it wasn't my car and I always start off gently in an unfamiliar car. I enjoyed driving it. Precise steering and compliant front end. Good ergonomics....all the controls feel like they are in the right place- you can just get in and drive it intuitively. It felt like it could do with more power. I think a GT2 would be fun

#24 ·
i think the gt2 is one of them cars , you get in it drive it and think im i going to crash today or not.. its a real handfull.. I had the joy of driving one for a hole day once running 600bhp, at the time i had a gtr runnig the same bhp. and the gtr was faster, when i give the gt2 back to my friend i was happy i was still alive. On the track it will be i different story but on the road its a battle.. which oneday your lose.:thumbsup:

#28 ·
Have I missed something? Do all R35 owners only drive their cars on the Nürburgring?

The laptime is a bonus, I can't think of anyone that opens the Sport Auto, picks the car with the fastest laptime on the holy Nordschleife and buys it straight away. Don't get me wrong, the Nordschleife track time might be an interesting thing to look at, but does it really matter overall when buying a car? It's a Willy waving contest.. nothing more. There are plenty of cars that are faster then the GTR. But are they that cheap or suitable to everyday driving like the Nissan?

I'm already getting into this boat myself again, just give a flying (insert four stars here) what other people say about it and enjoy the GTR. Go and get a Porsche if you got the Money and you like it more.

Marc

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.