GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
This is Sam from Thailand.
I have designed and tested a big brake kit for my 600 crank HP GTC Ben tuned R35.

I have created a facebook page as below.

ATS BIG Brake Systems | Facebook

If you want unmatched stopping power this is it. 50% increase of total piston area over OE design (both front & rear) with two types of brake compounds.

I welcome you to visit my page and drop comments. I will keep updating videos and photos.

Accelerate safely, stop immediately!

Cheers!

Sam

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,641 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
piston surface area comparison

As a consumer it is hard to make buying decisions based on a single photo and a FB page...
Hi charles charlie,
That's very true. see some info here. If you guys need more just ring the bell. I will make a video of hard stops, plus track video as references in the weeks to come.

Thanks for yours visit to the thread and comments by the way.

Sam.

Attachments

·
Registered
700 Posts
I believe 1.1g is achievable with standard pads/discs, what can this kit achieve in braking g in comparison? 1.5 or more would be impressive i believe.

H

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I believe 1.1g is achievable with standard pads/discs, what can this kit achieve in braking g in comparison? 1.5 or more would be impressive i believe.

H
Hi H
where I am from, road pavements are old, the OE brake set-up maximizes at 0.8-9g, never 1g.
with PFC pads I could only achieve 0.9-1.0g
all done without setting off ABS.
BUT most importantly, they fade very fast, just after a couple of high peed runs. (hard deceleration from 280 to 100km/h)
Then the famous crack lines from OE's cross drilled rotors.

For performance orientated drivers, 35's OE Brakes are the weak link. A fast driver like me can destroy front OE rotors in one track day.

With this BBKit, deceleration of 1.5-1.6g can be achieved with TOYO R888, DOT competition semi slicks.

R888 is what I am using now.

OE is only good for 200km/h hard braking. at 240-260km+km/h I start to feel my 35 is UNSTOPPABLE, especially when my 35 is 600hp tuned by GTC Ben.

When I realized my stopping power is not enough, I started a big brake project which allows me to pick the largest, thick enough rotor (405mmx36mm), a caliper large enough to fit my desired piston sizes.

This Big Brake System is not for everyone, it is only for three thing:
1. reducing lap time by reducing brake distance.
2. the brakes are very sensitive to driver's brake modulation.
3. and it doesn't fade. engine, transmission, will heat up so high, but the brakes just won't let you down.

Sam

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Looks good.

What price are we looking at?

Also how does it compare with the alcon BBK?
Hi, SamboGrove,
I have set the price with my manufacturer at 4690 GBP for the front 6 rear 4 piston set up.
My front 8 rear 4 set up on my car is 1K more expensive but combined piston surface is not as big as the 6 piston. It was an older design.
Rotor size is front 405mm, rear 380mm, slotted, not cross drilled.
Quotation includes airfreight.
The kit doesn't include stainless steel braided brake hoses.
I strongly recommend Goodrich brake hoses.

I will update weekly photos & video on the F6R4 system.

cheers,
Sam

·
Premium Member
7,641 Posts
But what pads are used with the larger calipers and swept area?

You mention 2 types of pads, what are their sizes compared to oem and who makes them?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So were these tests done with r888s? What will OEM brakes get with r888s?
grahamc,
I just got the r888 installed, not yet tested. I plan to record a track test later this month, along with my 996 GT3 R in Michelin slicks.
I think David Yu knows the OE stopping g on r888, on UK pavement.

I would like to point out that a vehicle's dynamic g force varies on several factors but most importantly on a Sunny day the tyres on the car, and track quality. Camber, tyre pressure, affect the number but not by much.

for example when I race touring car in local tracks I can pull 1.2 lateral g consistently, but at Sepang International same set up same tyre width I can pull 1.6 lateral g consistently amid high speed sweepers.

Sam

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
But what pads are used with the larger calipers and swept area?

You mention 2 types of pads, what are their sizes compared to oem and who makes them?
charles charlie,

Stopping power is a function of piston area, not pad size. over size and thickness are good for storing heat, good for endurance races. This is a good read: Braking System Heat - Stopping Power - Hands-On Tech Guide - Circle Track Magazine

I've never measured oe pad size, including pfc pads I owned. There are just a few important info I want. One is total piston surface area. That determines clamping power under same pedal pressure and speed of deployment.

(I actually think PFC pads are smaller than OE in surface area just eyeballing them. PFC is smart the company made the pads tapper out front to avoid brake squeal.)

See attached blue prints of my F6R4, front per pad is 86cm^2, rear per pad is 54.2cm^2.

I also attached them in this post just in case others can get a view.

My manufacturer produces the pads. Whole system is produced in Taiwan by the country's largest OE brake factory.

Sam

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,641 Posts
So if pad size isnt relevant to braking force, why not make your system suitable for OEM pad sizes as that gives the end user far more choice of pad types?

Otherwise you are asking the consumer to buy your system not knowing anything about the specification or track record of the pads.

Given that many pads suitable for other lighter cars fail miserably on the R35, anyone looking to spend £5k on a braking system really needs more information about what they are getting dont you agree?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So if pad size isnt relevant to braking force, why not make your system suitable for OEM pad sizes as that gives the end user far more choice of pad types?

Otherwise you are asking the consumer to buy your system not knowing anything about the specification or track record of the pads.

Given that many pads suitable for other lighter cars fail miserably on the R35, anyone looking to spend £5k on a braking system really needs more information about what they are getting dont you agree?
cc,
Interesting points you have. I'll address to you on them soon. Right now its quite very busy making quotations of jewelry products for UK, Euro zone, and Australian customers...

Yes, BIG BRAKE system is my hobby, but I intend to make it work perfectly for my customers because I strongly think moded 35s' really need additional stopping powa, yet affordable versions are none.:shy:

Thanks for the inputs.:wavey:

Cheers

Sam

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Update on ATS Big Brake System.

Hi all,

Want to keep you updated that mid-December I will record a track video. A multiple championship winner, currently Thai TRD's professional race car driver, will pilot my 600hp R35 (with Litchfield coilovers). The plan is to conduct two sessions of 10 fast laps each with 10 minutes of break in between at my home circuit, Bira International.

My intention is to log video/data of these 2 x 10 out-right fast laps on R888 by a professional pilot. :thumbsup:

Will keep you posted.

Sam.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts