GTR Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When the time comes and I need discs and pads, just wandering what everyones preferred choice is. I see Alcons name alot, what are the prices and fitting from places like MH, Litchfield and SVM ?

·
Registered
888 Posts
Haven't had my R35 long, but i'll be replacing with AP J hook floating front discs & either Pagid RS29 Or DS 2500 pads.
And i'll be changing a go at doing them myself, as I found it easy enough to do my previous RB320.... but i'l see ;-D

I don't do track days but some nice fast & Euro roads!!

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
Brake selection is normally decided based on how you intend to drive the car followed by budget.

If your not smashing it in or doing track days then you will want a road orientated pad. Less squeaking, probably less dust and much better performance, feel and modulation at normal temps.

That said I run pagid rs29s, havent been near a track and really rate them. Possibly more brake/cost than I need right now. I run these with ap16 grooved disks and theyare great (plus braided linesand castrol fluid).

·
Registered
888 Posts
Don't know about the rears, as mine are pretty good still.
So I only priced up the fronts, looking at £980 with the DS2500 & circa £1250 with the RS29 pads.

I agree with the above and I'll also be getting braided lines!

Had 2 piece Performance Friction discs & PF Z rated pads on my RB & really rated them!
Bit of overkill maybe for fast road use, but boy did they stop!

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
For road use I like my Carbotech XP8 and AP slotted discs from Ben.

Main problem fitting was getting the sliding pins out which were seized. I just kept hitting them very hard and using lots of brake cleaner. Need to do some caliper touch ups after what was pretty brutal.

·
Premium Member
3,524 Posts
fronts consisting of AP discs with Pagid RS29 pads are a good combination. I'm just about to change mine, been on the car for 2 1/2 years. New discs are about £700 and Pagids are about £400.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Might be worth a look at this thread for you.....

http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/239401-brake-test-dba-discs-carbone-lorraine-pads-knockhill.html

DBA T3 5000 discs are a good option, brake pads we sell for road Ferodo and Hawk and for track we have Pagid and Carbone Lorraine.... let me know if you have questions
Have you got anyone running these DBA discs on a pure fast road car & what's the feedback like for this?
Also, what's the cost for them with both the Ferodo & RS29 pad? Or would you not recommend the Pagid for road use? Got any links for the Hawk pad?

Soz for all the Qs!!

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Have you got anyone running these DBA discs on a pure fast road car & what's the feedback like for this?
Also, what's the cost for them with both the Ferodo & RS29 pad? Or would you not recommend the Pagid for road use? Got any links for the Hawk pad?

Soz for all the Qs!!
I run the DBAs on my car... with Pagid RS29 pads. Not had them on long and they have had a hard life so far. Picked the car up on a Friday, drove 6 hours in rush hour and then did a day at the Heritage Loop (Donington) - for which I somehow only 54 miles to a tank of fuel :confused: :runaway:

So far they are pretty good, I like them :) No issue in the high heat we had at Donington and fine for daily driving (even with the missus driving).

My only complaint would be that when cold they need a touch more on the pedal, not much at all, but just that little bit more (barely noticeable).

·
Registered
247 Posts

Soz for all the Qs!!
I have just bought this set up from Clark Motorsport, not fitted yet but will be soon then going on a road trip to Bosnia, poss stopping at the ring so can report back then. Helpful guys at Clark and worth calling to discuss.

For my ten pence worth, I run the DS2500 pads on another car with Brembos and they squeel like ****!

·
Registered
469 Posts

Soz for all the Qs!!
For just fast road both the Ferodo DS2500 and Hawks are plenty good enough and shouldn't suffer from any sort of squeal with the DBA T3 rotors. And are a lot less than the Pagids price wise. Operating they will be an improvement over the Pagid from stone cold.

That being said I wouldn't say the Hawk or the Ferodo are suited to the R35 on the track as they would normally suffer from heat issues as they are a fast road pad.

Pagids will survive pretty much anything you can throw at them!

So if it is road use only I would recommend the following-

Hawk HPS fronts £149
Hawk HPS rears £105

Or

Ferodo DS2500 front £235
Ferodo DS2500 rear £218

If you think you will be on the track then I would suggest the Pagid RS29 they are fair bit more expensive but they really are an excellent all round pad and are extremely hard wearing and also kind on the discs.

Pagid RS29 fronts £445
Pagid RS29 rears £275

We keep all the above pads on the shelf, along with the DBA T3's which include bells at £750 a pair.

Rich

1 - 13 of 13 Posts