GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm contemplating fitting new cams before the dyno day next week. Fitting isn't a problem but timing them in to maximum advantage seems a tad more difficult.

Has anybody done this themselves and if so how did they get on with the timing? I realise that the true cam positions need to established using a timing wheel and a dti first but if the cams (HKS or Trust probably) don't come with preset timing settings or if it's not done on a trial and error basis (dyno needed), how does one establish the best settings?

Thanks.

Peter.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
cam timing

the best way is many,many years of fitting cams
all the tuners will have there own idea of what is the best way
of timing the cams.

the cams in my car are not set the way tomei say to do it.

so this is going to be no help to you at all peter

keith

·
Registered
720 Posts
Hi Peter,

I timed my cams on my 200SX just by trial and error. I don't want to give any secrets away to how I timed them, as it took me weeks to get them correct. Your notice that a 1 degree movement either way will make a massive difference either coming onto boost, or finding a lttle more power at the top end. There is no specific method of timing them - it all depends on what sort of setup you have, be it a large turbo (timed for quicker spool up), or smaller turbos (timed for more top end). Time them on a rolling road that way you can get them suited to your car's setup.

Jason.

·
Registered
9,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Keith & Jason.

I guess I'd better find a good tuner then between now and next Saturday!

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Peter,

You have more or less answered your own question.

You need some way of judging performance to see if you have the result that is right for you, some like torque, some like BHP.

Something that will output acceleration or G forces is required.
There are a few G force meters and also a couple of gadgets that will record the spark signal to one of the coils which will, when compared to time, give you the acceleration of the vehicle.

To do it properly you need to add in wind direction, density of air ( available from a number of websites ) and the frontal area of the car * the drag coefficient to normalise the readings day on day

I am sure a dyno is great for some, but I generally drive my car on the road not a hot dyno and prefer if possible to have it tuned on the road.

There is one problem though - no one seems to know the frontal area of the R33 / R34

·
Registered
9,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hugh,

I suppose the problem is that the more powerful ones car becomes, relatively minor variations in torque and power become more difficult to perceive by the 'seat of the pants' method. Just by bolting the cams in will hopefully produce some benefit but we're all after the best possible settings aren't we. If there's that bit more there, we want it.

I'm no dyno fan myself but perhaps by having a set of runs with different settings to compare the torque and power curves is the way to do this most scientifically.

Peter.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
cams

peter got your cams in yet
if so what ones did you go for in the end

keith

·
Registered
9,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not yet Keith, they'll be in by Wednesday hopefully. I'll let you know how it goes.

Peter.

·
Registered
9,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As they say, "best laid plans.....".

Anybody know who might stock a pair of Trust or Tomei camshafts (apart from the obvious)...?

Ta.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Cams

I think Keith had a pair for sale a while back .

Don't know if he still has 'em though. Try him .I think he only wanted a ton for 'em. :D

·
Registered
9,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Paul but I have tried Keith already. I guess at a ton, they would've been stock ones anyway.

Seems that there was a misunderstanding and I may have it sorted now....

·
Registered
9,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That sinking feeling...

Many thanks to Tony @ Abbey for supplying a pair of Tomei cams on Tuesday evening and Ian @ Hiteq for his usual excellent technical backup service, without whom I wouldn't even dream of attempting mods such as this.

A word of advice should you ever decide to have a go at this yourself, having watched a 10mm nut, almost in slow motion it seemed at the time, disappear down the spark plug hole into No. 4 cylinder, always stuff any holes with paper towel. Halfords came to the rescue in the shape of a magnet fixed to the end of a telescopic aerial gismo, worked a treat!

Peter.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
What are the main differences in power/torque now that you fitted them? Did you loose any torque low down and gain sligtly more punch high up?

·
Registered
805 Posts
Stuffing

Peter,

I've told you time and time again, ALWAYS make sure any hole is well stuffed :D

Well done mate, I'll be listening out this morning for you firing it up :)

RonS

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
NEW CAM

PETER YOU WERE VERY LUCKY YOU SEEN IT GOING IN THERE COULD HAVE BEEN A BIG F--K UP AND WOULD HAVE COST YOU A LOT OF MONEY TO SORT IT OUT.

KEITH

·
Registered
9,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Damian,

They're 260 in, 252 ex, 9.15mm lift.

Dino,

It was too late last night when I finished to start her up so I'll be trying her a little later, fingers crossed everybody!

Ron,

Ta, certainly missed your support this time all for the sake of giving up the weed!

Keith,

Very true.

Peter.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Cams

so you went for the Tomies then ? What did they cost ?
Do they need to be bedded in or is it a matter of bolting them on and driving like normal ?

BTW when and where you opening your tuning garage up ?:D ;)

·
Registered
9,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don't think they need running in although I'd better check hadn't I...

That would be a little dream of mine, lot's of happy, easy going, reasonable, undemanding, satisfied customers......possibly :rolleyes:

Fired her up this evening (after a few teething problems with the cam timings) and she's running sweet. Need to get the ignition timing checked in the morning then I'm all set for Saturday.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts