GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I would share with you some pictures of my new purchase to support my current GT-R

I am having lots of fun with the Cayman GTS but still tracking the GT-R

·
Premium Member
3,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How impressions ?
I took delivery on 1st September and done nearly 2,000 miles in the Cayman GTS. My first impression is FUN as the car is so well balanced and with a sound that I could live with for ever. It revs well and the power is really from 5.500 - nearly 8,000rpm and in Sport Plus mode the car is incredibly responsive with the 7 speed PDK gearbox. I have the torque vector steering and that is something that needs to be tested on track (and it will very soon), but it is the mid engine balance of the car that impresses. Economy is better than the GT-R (circa 29mpg) and the cost of running the car will be far less with 20k service intervals and as you can see from the pictures, I have the full two tone leather/ dash that makes the interior feel bigger tan the standard black alcantara.

I give it 5-6 weeks ;) then the novelty will wear off and you will put your red hat back on
It is a daily drive Graham, and after some major expenses on the Smurfmobile recently, I think I can just about live with this car for a couple of years. It is a great drive and although lacking the sheer grunt and power of the GT-R, it is far more nimble round the corners, and I had an opportunity last Thursday to compare a Cayman R with a few performance modifications against my GT-R and although I was quicker down the straights, the weight of the Nissan certainly showed in the corners.
At the moment I just love it, but time will tell.
I will guarantee you that I will still have it in a year's time, but I will also still have the Smurfmobile GT-R for the special track days and V-max events.
I think I have the perfect selfish combination with the wife's BMW 1 series there to offset my carbon footprint and transport the dog and passengers around if necessary.

·
Premium Member
8,835 Posts
LOL did you notice my plates Rich

A 8EUT and
A1 6EUT

Still confuses people

Hmmmm, now should I say anything about an R ???

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
I took delivery on 1st September and done nearly 2,000 miles in the Cayman GTS. My first impression is FUN as the car is so well balanced and with a sound that I could live with for ever. It revs well and the power is really from 5.500 - nearly 8,000rpm and in Sport Plus mode the car is incredibly responsive with the 7 speed PDK gearbox. I have the torque vector steering and that is something that needs to be tested on track (and it will very soon), but it is the mid engine balance of the car that impresses. Economy is better than the GT-R (circa 29mpg) and the cost of running the car will be far less with 20k service intervals and as you can see from the pictures, I have the full two tone leather/ dash that makes the interior feel bigger tan the standard black alcantara.

It is a daily drive Graham, and after some major expenses on the Smurfmobile recently, I think I can just about live with this car for a couple of years. It is a great drive and although lacking the sheer grunt and power of the GT-R, it is far more nimble round the corners, and I had an opportunity last Thursday to compare a Cayman R with a few performance modifications against my GT-R and although I was quicker down the straights, the weight of the Nissan certainly showed in the corners.
At the moment I just love it, but time will tell.
I will guarantee you that I will still have it in a year's time, but I will also still have the Smurfmobile GT-R for the special track days and V-max events.
I think I have the perfect selfish combination with the wife's BMW 1 series there to offset my carbon footprint and transport the dog and passengers around if necessary.
Sounds quite impressive....

LOL did you notice my plates Rich

A 8EUT and
A1 6EUT

Still confuses people

Hmmmm, now should I say anything about an R ???
Say what ....... :popcorn:

:banned:

·
Premium Member
8,835 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,089 Posts
Nice couple of cars to have on your drive John
Interesting looking a the close up of the wheels
Cayman discs look tiny but tyres are much lower profile

Still think Porsche should put the turbo in it though...

·
Premium Member
8,835 Posts
Nice couple of cars to have on your drive John
Interesting looking a the close up of the wheels
Cayman discs look tiny but tyres are much lower profile

Still think Porsche should put the turbo in it though...
There is a Turbo kit available OMG I am thinking about modifications already !!!! :chuckle::chuckle::chuckle:

·
Premium Member
8,835 Posts
Ah i hate to have to take your money !!!

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
I really like that, maybe one day I'll get one of the early ones to replace my ageing E46 M3. It must be ideal with the mpg as an everyday car. Does yours have a LSD?

A friend (had all sorts of posh Porsches) rates these and the boxters so highly I can't help thinking they're the most bargain sports cars of today's market.. Enjoy :)

·
Premium Member
8,835 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Thanks for answer. I'm wondering how it drives compare to E46 CSL

·
Premium Member
3,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for answer. I'm wondering how it drives compare to E46 CSL
You are comparing two different cars, but in my opinion the E45 CSL was an absolute classic and worth keeping if you can, but the game has moved on in terms of R & D which makes the Cayman GTS more of an everyday drive than the CSL and an excellent track tool. The CSL is just fabulous on track but I couldn't live with it everyday on my 180 mile commute on country roads.

·
Registered
86 Posts
You are comparing two different cars, but in my opinion the E45 CSL was an absolute classic and worth keeping if you can, but the game has moved on in terms of R & D which makes the Cayman GTS more of an everyday drive than the CSL and an excellent track tool. The CSL is just fabulous on track but I couldn't live with it everyday on my 180 mile commute on country roads.
It's amazing how these cars evolved. I drove previous model cayman and for sure it's not daily :) I compared to CSL, cause I know it's a track tool, so I wonder is it better in feeling and driving experience...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts