GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,635 Posts
These inlets are great. I originally saw them on Stillen's race car and emailed them 7-8 years ago asking for a set but was told they were a one off. By the time the US guy started 3D printing them I'd already gone DBA up front.

I love em

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I thought its a great way to get more air to the filters, think ill go for the Jun scoop in the bumper as well.

Doing Brands on Friday so will get some diff and trans temp readings !!!!!

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
The should be fantastic with that positioning.

Certainly every little helps, one thing I have always wondered though on a turbocharged car...

Given the air is heated up massively by the turbo and then cooled by the intercooler, how much difference does the air temp at the filter actually make?

Would be interesting if anyone had any reference to that data.

It's hard to establish as hot intake air is usually because of hot ambient temp which in turn makes the intercooler less able to reduce temps after the turbo.

·
Registered
9,080 Posts
It's not just temp, it's pressure.

With a ram air effect, an increase in pressure pre turbo means the delta across the compressor is lower, typically meaning the charge exits at a lower temperature.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
The air inlet temp is also used in the calibration by the ecu - if its hot it will pull timing and add fuel as a safety measure

·
Premium Member
5,863 Posts
any point/use for a road car?

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
any point/use for a road car?
Any point in a 1000hp R35 on the road?............................Hell yeah, the more and cooler the air the more power you make, simples.

Reactions: Chronos

·
Registered
9 Posts
These inlets are great. I originally saw them on Stillen's race car and emailed them 7-8 years ago asking for a set but was told they were a one off. By the time the US guy started 3D printing them I'd already gone DBA up front.

I love em
where did these come from my old fruit?
I posted earlier in this thread, but it was wiped. Maybe because I'm a newbie.

Anyways, I created these vents. I, also, contacted Stillen about theirs, and they said they were one-offs.

So, last year I taught myself CAD (FreeCAD), iterated my way through various designs, tested several 3D printers; and came up with these.

I hope y'all like them. Let me know if you have any questions.

I'm fairly active on GTRL & GTRH (as forty-two), organize the central Texas GTR owners club, track my GTR, & instruct at COTA.

I look forward to being more active in this forum.

Cheers!

·
Registered
9 Posts
These look great, is it an easy install?
Install is done without removing the bumper. It is quite easy, I'd just say measure twice & cut once.

I'll post link once my post count allows.

However, there is a link to the install directions in the link to facebook posted above.

Thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Because I'm a newbie here, I can't reply/send PMs - particularly to admins, so I'll post here.

Some of my posts regarding these vents are being removed by admins as I'm not a vendor; and I have no problem with that - other than my very low post count is quite erratic, lol. Last year, I did contact those necessary to become a vendor, which I'd be happy to do, except my volumes don't currently justify the cost.

FWIW - making these vents is not my profession. I just did it to create something I desired, and other owners wanted them.

So, I have no issue with the admins, and I look forward to being a contributing member of this forum (used to be fairly active on GTRL, am fairly active on GTRH, and the Facebook groups).

Cheers

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
These look great, is it an easy install?
Yes very easy, you get a template, we used an osculating saw, same as they use for cutting casts off broke limbs, much more control, takes 1/2 hour top whack.

·
Premium Member
5,863 Posts
Yeah I thought its a great way to get more air to the filters, think ill go for the Jun scoop in the bumper as well.
Doing Brands on Friday so will get some diff and trans temp readings !!!!!
Any difference in the temp readings? Car running cooler at all?

I've got a CBA , and spose they could be handly especially in summer to get some airflow in...

thanks

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I havent logged the car since fitting them but if Andy still has the old logs we can get some when it comes back

Reactions: Chronos

·
Registered
9 Posts
Pic from yesterday morning @ COTA...F1 watch party in Velocity Lounge, followed by free autoX in Lot A, then Speed Ventures DE - started out a bit damp, thus streets on car.

FWIW - that's the new karting track between me & the main building, which is currently under construction in Lot A. When done, I expect that it'll be open during races. So, make time for that when you visit Austin.

IMG_3675r.jpg

1 - 20 of 24 Posts