GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
All about weight saving and aero really with a titanium exhaust and mag wheels no engine mods from what I recall.

·
Premium Member
5,031 Posts
Must have had a problem, it drops right back from the first lap.

GT-R also had a problem in the last lap as his revs became limited to 3,500rpm. Still the quickest car there, but I love the LP560!

·
Registered
9,546 Posts
R8 V10 had problems and retired. GTR's transmission overheated and went into safety mode shifting at 3,500 rpm.

I wonder when will Nissan address the problems with the gearbox!! Or at least admit it has problems!!

·
Registered
276 Posts
That doesn't look like a lot of track work before the gearbox overheats.

How has it been for you guys who have tracked already. Did you have the same issues and has anyone done anything to overcome?

Ally

·
Premium Member
5,031 Posts
It's well known that if the gearbox temp goes over 140c it goes into limp mode and you have to change the oil immediately.

The Best Motoring boys thrash the cars in an actual race rather than merely doing a track day. Anybody driving as hard as them on a UK track day would get black flagged pretty quickly!

We also don't know how high the gearbox temps were before the filmed race started.

I always do a cool down lap when gearbox temps get to 119c which normally takes about 4 laps at which point the brakes and tyres are in need of a break anyway.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
The first video makes me want another Exige. Proper little race cars for the road
I've got to agree the Exige S is a fantastic car for the money, off the line its incrediable! Unfortunately, it loses out to the super cars on the straight in the second video but I'm sure that could be addressed with a little upgrade on the engine side.

Considering one myself at the moment :)

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
The Best Motoring boys thrash the cars in an actual race rather than merely doing a track day. Anybody driving as hard as them on a UK track day would get black flagged pretty quickly!
Youre joking......or:nervous:

black flagged for what,fast driving on a trackday??

We do that all day long at Hockenheim and they sometimes even give the slow cars a blue flag...:D

·
Premium Member
5,031 Posts
Youre joking......or:nervous:

black flagged for what,fast driving on a trackday??

We do that all day long at Hockenheim and they sometimes even give the slow cars a blue flag...:D
All I meant was nobody drives their car that hard on a track day, or at least they shouldn't! There is a world of difference between a track day and a race as anybody who has done both would agree.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That doesn't look like a lot of track work before the gearbox overheats.

How has it been for you guys who have tracked already. Did you have the same issues and has anyone done anything to overcome?

Ally
I was just reading about the 2010 revisions to the GTR which seems to put some focus on cooling of the box.

Having been around Spa in one, the temps touch the magic oil change level pretty quickly, and the guy I was with had to restrict his driving to suit. Not good.

I also think it's unacceptable that a handful of laps on that vid would upset the temps. Don't think the argument that nobody would drive that hard on a trackday flies either, none of the other cars had a problem and you would never see a GT3 suffering like that???

On the other hand, i've seen a few Best Motoring vids where it's taken a lot more punishment than that and been ok.

Who knows! Guess that's the downside of a techincal car versus a mechanical one.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
RE black flags, you only get them if you look out of control or being dangerous on overtaking - you can drive as fast as you like and a lot of people seem to!

I tend to stick to 90% for financial reasons :D

·
Premium Member
5,031 Posts
I was just reading about the 2010 revisions to the GTR which seems to put some focus on cooling of the box.

Having been around Spa in one, the temps touch the magic oil change level pretty quickly, and the guy I was with had to restrict his driving to suit. Not good.

I also think it's unacceptable that a handful of laps on that vid would upset the temps. Don't think the argument that nobody would drive that hard on a trackday flies either, none of the other cars had a problem and you would never see a GT3 suffering like that???

On the other hand, i've seen a few Best Motoring vids where it's taken a lot more punishment than that and been ok.

Who knows! Guess that's the downside of a techincal car versus a mechanical one.
Er, yes, the £120k R8 V10 broke down almost immediately!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts