GTR Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
Point taken. Doesn't make it acceptable though?

Although I don't think it was a "fault" on the GTR, rather than the tranny temp limiting the fun. That said, we don't know the facts (unless someone speaks Japanese?

·
Premium Member
5,031 Posts
Point taken. Doesn't make it acceptable though?

Although I don't think it was a "fault" on the GTR, rather than the tranny temp limiting the fun. That said, we don't know the facts (unless someone speaks Japanese?
DCD does and he was the one who reported why the GT-R went into limp mode on page 1 of this thread!

As you say, it's not a fault, it was a safety protocol kicking in to prevent a (heavy) road car from being damaged by abuse.
The gearbox cooling issues have been discussed to death on here and both Nissan and aftermarket companies have some solutions now.

Doesn' detract from the fact that it easily set the fastest lap time out of all the cars in that test.... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Yup. But i'm still surprised it overheated in that vid and it shouldn't be happening. Normally Best Motoring are quite JDM biased and i'd thought they would have re-shot the footage.

·
Registered
276 Posts
DCD does and he was the one who reported why the GT-R went into limp mode on page 1 of this thread!

As you say, it's not a fault, it was a safety protocol kicking in to prevent a (heavy) road car from being damaged by abuse.
The gearbox cooling issues have been discussed to death on here and both Nissan and aftermarket companies have some solutions now.

Doesn' detract from the fact that it easily set the fastest lap time out of all the cars in that test.... :thumbsup:

Am I right in assuming that it was the same heavy road car they tested so relentlessly at the ring during development. Surely they saw the same issues after a few laps, if not one given the size of the ring. It just surprises me that they didn't deal with this before now. Ben mentioned that the MK111 will have water cooling on the tanny. Isn't that an indication that it is actually an issue? Buying a new car you always expect that there will be improvements to the car after launch but I wouln't have expected it to be on something that must have been so obvious to them during development.

Ally

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
You will get told off for not wearing rose tinted specs soon :)

It's a bit of a balls up to me (and as i've said i've seen it happen on track) but wouldn't stop me buying one, because to me it's not really a track car and it's great as a road car. What annoys me a bit is the "anytime / anywhere" bit by Nissan because it's not quite true when it comes to track time.

People get very defensive about it, but i'm not having a pop, it's just a fact.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts