GTR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

this is my first time posting here, i've never owned a skyline in my life

i just got back from test driving one at a dealership. all i have to say is wow what a car it is.

I have actually found one for a great price and would actually buy it next week now that i know what they drive like. alas there is one problem.

This car i would buy is a 1990 Skyline GTR and has an exhaust gasket leak and is very loud because of so. I work as a bike mechanic so i'm quite mechanically inclined.

so my question for all of you guys is how hard would it be to replace an exhaust gasket? and what would all be required to get to said gasket to replace.

also his front valence was broken ( someone backed into the car) are those hard to find and replace?

Anything would be helpful.

Thanks,
-B

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Well on the exhaust gasket side that will be very easy to sort as long as its not a gasket at the manifold as they look like a right pig i have been told its turbos off job as i really need to get mine done.

With regard to the front valance you will pick one of those up very easy there a few people breaking cars at the min or you could pick up a new one of the traders on here im sure.

Good luck they are awesome cars and you will never look back

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm, well I'm going to check out the car tomorrow and car trailer it back. So heres hoping its not the manifold gasket :nervous:

Turbos out hey? Would I have to drop the engine to do that? or is it pull the engine? I am going to have to pick up a service manual asap.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
889 Posts
turbos can be taken off with the engine in situ,
its a bit off a pain to do, take pics as you go along to remeber were things go back,
i remove the rear tubby first, then the front one you can do it in a weekend if you havent done it before.
use the search on here it has been coverd.

·
Official GTR.co.uk Photographer
2,671 Posts
you can do it just by pulling the manifolds back enough to clean up the surfaces and put the new gaskets on with out removing the turbos but the engine doesnt need to come out for that lol .

its just a time consuming job and some times a little fidgety because of the bolts on the manifolds :thumbsup:

i done all mine from working from the top but others have said its easier from underneath and top .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
awesome thanks guys, this is all really helpful.

sounds like i'll be buying this car next week then. If these gaskets are that easy. i'll have it up and running in no time. :squintdan :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello

I was at a dealership today looking at an R33 GTR. I am very tempted but Im unsure of the running costs. The same can be said when it comes to servicing. The timing belt and water pump were done 18 months ago. How long would they last? Sorry for sounding like such a retard but Im in love with this car. I just want to know what Im getting myself into.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

·
Registered
623 Posts
Hello

I was at a dealership today looking at an R33 GTR. I am very tempted but Im unsure of the running costs. The same can be said when it comes to servicing. The timing belt and water pump were done 18 months ago. How long would they last? Sorry for sounding like such a retard but Im in love with this car. I just want to know what Im getting myself into.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks
It's not the initial buy thats gonna get you, it's the cost of doing stuff later after you have gotten used to it, its like a drug I guess, one day the turbos are pulling hard and your like damn this is the shit, then you get to point where your like damn I need more. Timing belts are good for at least 60,000 Kms, some say you can run them to around 100,000 Kms, the timing belts made today are much better than ten years ago, if your running big power every 50,000 for piece of mind. Buy some tools read this forum lots of info here, learn how to do your own work and that will help keep the costs down. Other wise you will never regret having bought a GTR.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks man

Im just a bit sceptical over the whole thing. Serious car to get into I just dont want something to go wrong and then find out its coz I didnt service it right or waited too long to change something. It'd break my heart.

·
Registered
25,652 Posts
Thanks man

Im just a bit sceptical over the whole thing. Serious car to get into I just dont want something to go wrong and then find out its coz I didnt service it right or waited too long to change something. It'd break my heart.
you need some serious back up funds just incase

only word of advice

:)

they require some TLC sometimes :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts