GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

Im new here but have been looking round as a guest for a few weeks now.

At the moment I have a GTi-R, but I was considering changing for an R33 (or maybe an Evo, but im sure you'll talk me out of that).

As im sure you will know buying the car is one thing but maintaining it is another.

Are there any previous GTi-R owners (or similar) on here who could give me an opinion on how much more expensive this would be to run. I would need to run the car everday, but not all that many miles, about 10k a year.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Also do you guys only use this board, or so you use anything else like Yahoo groups?

Thanks for any replies.

Lee

·
Registered
773 Posts
Lee, I now own an R33 after having owned an Evo VI. In my opinion the R33 is a much better car. The Evo is fun for the most part, but is frantic, uncompromising and therefore difficult to live with. The R33 has similar performance (especially when some mods are added) and is much more progressive, civilised and more fun to drive.

Hope this helps in making your mind up.

Naz

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info.

The way I read that you make it sound like the Evo is quicker in your opinion. Did I get that correctly as I thought the Skyline would be slightly better.

Cheers
Lee

·
Registered
26,315 Posts
Lee,

Initially you might find the Evo is a bit quicker (how quick do you want to go?). Howevere, as far as I can see there's no such thing as a stock R33, it's all a matter of budget.

I run an R33 and use it every day, I've done about 60,000 miles in three years and the servicing costs have not been an issue at all.

Regards
John

·
Registered
773 Posts
Lee, if you lined up a stock Evo with a stock GTR, the Evo would be quicker, however, after the usual mods (exhaust, chip and air induction), I would guess they are as quick as each other. Why not try both out? Ralliart in Dudley have an R33 for sale (with the mods mentioned above), and obviously have numerous Evo's. Might be worth a visit and compare the cars back to back?

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
Evos & GTRs

These 2 cars are both fast....but they require different approaches. You can chuck an Evo round any corner with as much speed and pure agression as you are prepared to dish out. The gears are quite short so you always have instant response. A GTR will need more finesse and skill but at the end of the day it is the more satisfying car, and it rewards the driver in a way the Evo just cannot. GTRs are better built and feel more complete.

That's my opinion....both great cars but it all depends what you are after.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
GTiR to GTR

Lee.
I have just done this process and will never look back...
My GTIR was running just under 300 BHP so it would beat Evos (just) and yes I did this not only on the road but at Trax 2001 this year. The silver Evo 6 was not happy.
I have sold the car 2 weeks ago and now have an R33 on N Plate. And what a diff world.
It would seem we are doing the same thing. I looked at an Evo5 but for the same money as a skyline there is no comparison. Evo interiors..yuk. Like where are the dials to tell you what is happening??
Everything works, it doesn't creak, bang, sqeek, rattle, whine, it doesn't have a taxi image and so much more finess. Everyone looks at it and it has major respect!!:D
Whereas before every dick in his orion and cav would try the Pulsar for size, people move over for the graceful GTR.
As for speed it is a diff conecpt as everyone has rightly said. The R was manic, fast, short geared, aggressive, noisy and unfriendly, geared for rallying and sprinting. The 33 is more of a tourer, longer geared and fun as you can lose the rear a bit (well alot actually) and SO much more stable in high speed corners than the R. Also braking is much more stable as I put big anchors on the GTiR but left the rears. Made the rear too light at high speed (see Trax vid!)
Also once you get to higher speed the 4 pot engine in the Evo/GtiR is running out of breath whereas Mr RB26 is just warming his hands up. My mate has an R and we had a bit of a ding dong and after a ton (on the track of course ) it was bye bye. I still have std exhaust but with chip and panel filter. This weekend sees the full system and induction kit. So that will release horses.
The GTR is so much more rewarding and better quality. Guess I am ageing?? Plus it is a skyline after all!!
The GTiR was great and I loved it to bits and I still have ultimate respect for them but the 33 is a different world. Even the old boys in the office know what the 33 is.
Plus I got fed up with throwing money into a 9 year old hatchback.
Go for it and get that Skyline. You won't look back.
Nick

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
I pretty much agree with what has already been said (and i think Nick W. is in the best position to give an accurate answer as he has just done that exact thing recently:) ).

I very much believe it comes down to the sort of driving you do / want to do, and where you do it. If you spend alot of time of dual carriageways and open roads with long sweeping bends, then the skyline is the daddy. If you spend all of your time on twisty, "point and squirt" type roads then i reckon the pulsar is king (as it was designed as a rally car, this is what it excels at).

The GTI-R is an AWESOME quarter mile car (that puts EVO's and Scoobies to shame on most occasions), but it's not a high speed car. I personally have been umming and arring over what to do for a while now (over a year ago i started looking into skylines, but decided against it and more recently i've thought about it), but i've decided i'm very happy with what i've got...and the car is going to be getting alot of work done by Abbey to turn it into even more of a beast - should be the dogs danglies :D

If you want to talk GTI-R's further i suggest we move to the GTI-R section (this is a skyline list after all !!)

Cheers
Daz

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replys

I only mentioned the GTi-R to see if anyone could give me an idea how much more expensive an R33 would be to run.

Didnt seem to get very far on that one, but thanks for all you opinions on the Evo/Skyline debate. I do expect that if I go for the change I will go for a Skyline, hence the posting on this board.

Just wanted to make sure I could afford it

Cheers
Lee

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
I spoke to Tony at Abbey the other day on the very matter of general running costs of an R33 against my GTI-R. He basically said that there wouldn't be great deal in it based on my current state of tune with the Pulsar. Obviously it's going to be higher, but it's not a MASSIVE jump (i believe that's if you keep it fairly standard though). If you need to know more about running costs then give them a ring and ask them for more info (get an idea of prices for parts, servicing, etc....see if you can budget it).

I'm sure the guys here will put me straight if i've given wrong information - after all, i don't actually own one !

I personally am sticking with what i've already got...as i'm more than happy with it.

If you do decide to go for the 33 - good luck with it...it's a lovely motor (and i can say i've actually been in one now thanks to SteveC....now i gotta bend Glens arm to have a go in his :D :D :D )

Seeya
Daz

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cheers Daz

Sounds like a good idea, as I have my car serviced at Abbey anyway.

What you said also sounds good, but I have to bear in mind that my standard one is probably less than yours.

I am looking for more performance though, and think I prefer the upgrade the car route to modding my current car. At the end of the day I will just lose most of the money on mods I do to the GTiR, as it doesnt add much value.

I will look into this a little more, but will hopefully have made my mind up soon.

Cheers
Lee

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Just as a side note Lee. It doesn't cost that much to release an extra 60 or so horses from a standard GTI-R. A simple, exhaust, filter and boost upgrade (properly set up), will free alot of power (it did on mine - proven on the dyno)....completely transforms the car. It may be something you want to consider.

Not trying to sway you from the skyline in any way what so ever, but it's another thing you should bare in mind - as it really does turn the car into a rapid machine (although once you start, it never stops :D )

Let us know what you decide.
Daz

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Running costs.

Lee,
Sorry about the rantings got a little excited.
As for running costs then I do not see a great deal of difference between the GTir and the skyline. My R was highly tuned with a jap racing ecu so it used to chuck fuel at the car and bang, pop in every gear!! Even though the GTiR is cheap to buy the parts can be very expensive to repair. A clutch for example is an engine out job so you are looking at the best part of 800 pounds incl parts and labour.
The gearbox is very fragile and can cost up to 1500 pounds for a rebuild. Once you get into the 320+ BHP territory witht he R then you are on the edge of big bills. Heavy on tyres as well if you push the car.
The skyline if well looked after (as it will be) and kept within a certain BHP range will run for years and 100 00 miles. I only have 19k on mine so lots of motoring ahead.
It is your call but one of the reasons I got rid of the GTiR was fed up with throwing money into a 9 year old hatchback.
Insurnace is only 250 more per year so that sealed it for me. Feedback from owners is nothing but reliability if not pushed to the max limits of power ie 450 + BHP with the GTR
Good luck.
Nick

·
Registered
8,531 Posts
Evo's rock.

It's true, Skylines are simply staggering tools. But don't dismiss entirely the totally capable Evo 6. I've owned two of these (last one was a Mak) and there is no faster point to point produciton car on the planet bar an Evo7 or a P1 which is, IMHO, a lot less raw than the Evo. The Evo is such a competent car in doing everything it does without a moan that sometimes it may feel a little too surreal and almost devoid of character because of it's unyielding nature. Any scenario, any instance and it will simply excel. There is no more a competent ground clearer. I would put a wager on it. It's an exhillerating drive.

But the Skyline is a different kettle of fish altogether. Far more rewarding and requires infinitely more skill to drive at 7/10's than the Evo did at 10/10's. You would drive on the limit all the time, anytime in the Evo and it would take it in it's stride, it's strengths come from it's ability to bend the rules. You simply can't drive like that in the Skyline, attempt to and you'll be facing the opposite direction. Or in the bush.

I would seriously consider your decision carefully. Where does the majority of your driving take place? If it's on B roads, then forget it, the Skyline hates it. But if it's A roads and wide sweeping carriageways, then the Skyline is in it's element. And trackdays are an absolute joy in the Skyline.

I moved to the Skyline because I wanted something a bit more challenging and better quality overall. A choice that is cemented everytime I nail the pedal!

Hope this helps, I have a lot more write ups on the cars on my site.

Cem

·
Registered
225 Posts
Quote By Blowdog

"and there is no faster point to point produciton car on the planet bar an Evo7 or a P1 which is, IMHO, a lot less raw than the Evo. The Evo is such a competent car in doing everything it does without a moan that sometimes it may feel a little too surreal and almost devoid of character because of it's unyielding nature. Any scenario, any instance and it will simply excel. There is no more a competent ground clearer. I would put a wager on it. It's an exhillerating drive. "

Ohh no - don't tell me I have to buy both of these as well!!!
I have 1 friend selling a 22B
and another selling his EVO6 (Already got a 7)

Do I have to cover all bases - or what - I went for the "king of all bases" - don't tell me I screwed it up!!! - my accountant will go nuts!!!!

(If anyone knows how to justify 3 company cars - PM me please)

Phil

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Evos..

Blowdog I agree with you 100% and was never dissing the Evo. I just wanted a better quality inside and out and to move away from the manicness of the permanent 4wd rally machines like the Evo, Scoob and GTiR.
The A roads are just gobbled up by them and the GTiR was even quicker in some of them as it had a shorther wheel base, acelerated quickr than the Evo. Me and a good friend in his 320 BHP 6 tried it and there was almost nothing between us. major fun though.
I really had a dilema about a Skyline over the Evo. I tried out both and the 33 JUST got the vote. Just felt more screwed together and you got more for your money.
Tough call and as you rightly say it dopends on where you take.
As I said to the cossie owner on the FAO Rupert thread, the EVO IS the benchmark for all other cars. I still love em to bits.

Nick

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I cant get it in

It looks like a forgot a small detail, and looking at another thread made me go and measure my garage.

Have just done this, and it will fit in, but I will have somewhere between 30 and 40 cm room for opening the door. Thats with the car parked as close to the wall on the passenger side as I think I can get it.

Please someone tell me that 40 cm is enough!!!!!

I cant leave the car out around here, so it looks like my decision has been made for me
:mad:

Oh well

Thanks for your input anyway everyone
Lee

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
garage..

That is not much room mate. Could be tricky.
As for the Evo, they are not exactly slim. Due to flared arches and spoliers I would check out the dimensions before you do.
Just a thought.
NIck

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
From the specs I have found the GTR was 1780 mm wide, which is 1cm wider than a Evo V is 1770, looks like I had the numbers wrong for the Evo. 1cm isnt gonna make a difference.

Hmm, this leaves me completely stuffed now. Im gonna go back and measure the garage again first , but I only just got my GT-Four in at 1690mm.

Perhaps I can just knock a hole in the wall :p

Cheers
Lee

1 - 20 of 23 Posts