GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hell all, I am new here... I have been admiring Skyline GT-rs for a bit. I am coming over to England in November, and one of the points of the trip was to look at a GT-r. There is a way to import them to the US, albiet complicated, it exists. So, I am thinking that when I am going over there, I would go to a dealer and take a look. :D Hopefully I can learn a bunch about the cars before my trip over there.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hi cotmfk,

I'm just looking at getting an R33 myself. Started off looking at the 3000 GT, but very quickly turned to the Skyline GTR :D

No comparison!!!

There are many dealers that sell "grey" imported Skylines in the UK, but http://www.middlehurst.co.uk/ are the main official importer.

These people, http://www.skylinegtr.com/, are already importing Skylines into the US.

Apart from the info on this site check out some of the sites from the links page, some other good info there too.

Depending on when your over here, have a look at the meetings forum, there might be something on during your visit to the UK.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool, that's a good idea about the meetings! Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
26,315 Posts
Cotmfk,

Let us know when you will be in the UK and what airports. Perhaps a few of us could meet up so you can have a look see before you start your shopping trip. Also, there are some for sale on this website so you may want to contact the vendors before arriving.

Happy shopping

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestions. I am coming November 17-24. So, it's coming up soon! :D

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
where ??

Hi,

I know England isn't that big but you won't get everywhere in a week, where abouts are you coming to/ staying, that way if anyone is in the area they can say hello.

Shame it isn't the week before, we are having a meet in Sussex about 15 minutes south of Gatwick airport. but this is on the 9th I believe...

cheers
Steve

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lol- Sorry about that, just completely forgot to put that info in there! :eek: I will be in London for the whole time, I think. Maybe with a day trip or two. I have no set plans, except for one or two days, so I am pretty felxible to going somewhere, as long as I have transportation. I am staying with my Uncle for some days and my sister for some other days. They both live in London.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am also new to the message board. I have always been a big fan of the Skyline. I am interested in learning more about them, I figured what better way then to talk to people that own them. I currently own 2 Mustangs. A 1997 Cobra and a 1990 GT convertible. I live in the US, and hope to someday I am able to import a Skyline. I am looking forward to talking to everyone

·
Registered
18 Posts
There are two types of Cobra. There is the Regular SVT cobra that Ford makes as a regular production car, which you can just go an pick up at a dealer. It comes standard with a 4.6 litre V-8, 305hp and 300ft/lb of torque, runs a 0-60mph in 5.9 and the 1/4 mile in [email protected] This is what I have. It can easly be moded to 450 or 500hp by just adding a few extra things. I can post a pic of mine if you would like to see.
Then there is the SVT Cobra R, which they only made 300 of in 2000. This is a limited production car, cost big bucks. It is problably the one that you are thinking of. It is a factory ready race car, straight to the track with it if you want. 5.4 litre V-8 385hp, and somewhere around 385ft/lb of torque. It has no radio, no back seat, nothing really it is a stripped down version for race. You can buy it but it cost to much. But it's not a carbon fiber body. this may have been the one you were thinking of.

·
Registered
18 Posts

This is my 1997 cobra. I will post more pics sometime later. Yeah it is a handful in the rain from time to time. But it is all around fun to drive.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ahh, the beauty of All Wheel Drive. ;) That was one of the main reasons to my buying my car, I was going to use it as my only cay, sunny days, rainy days, and SNOWY DAYS! So, it had to be able to handle all of those.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yeah, i actually looked at a 1992 VR-4 also. But when it came down to operating cost for me at the time, i couldn't really afford it so i went with the Cobra, and drive a beater in the winter time. My friend has a nice 92' VR-4 that he is just finishing a motor up on right now, can't wait to go for a ride AWD & AWS is nice to have.

·
Registered
26,315 Posts
cotmfk,

If you are going to be in London for the most part I would be happy to drop by and discuss. Have you checked out the "for Sales" yet?

Send me an e-mail about your contact details for the UK [email protected]

Cheers
John

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Fuggles: Just sent you an email.

Yeah, I didn't know how high the maintenance was on these cars before I bought it. I am getting it under control now, though. :)

·
Registered
101 Posts
i always tough the GTO was a better looking car than the skyline.
why do you want to get rid of your GTO, cot?
skyline IMPO is a cult car.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh, I don't want to get rid of my GTO! :cool: I would like a GT-R in addition to my GTO! :D With the news of the Skyline coming over to the US, I may just wait a bit, then. If it does come over here, I imagine the membership on this board will skyrocket!

·
Registered
101 Posts
i would seriously doubt that, since this is the UK skyline GTR page. no offence, but brits have made fun of american car since forever (except the mighty Viper), so i dont think the majority would go to a UK website. maybe they will create a new GTR page.

the skyline comig to US? might be the V35 instead of the R35 LMFAO

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Did you see the concept pics of the R35? They were all left hand drive. If you read Nissan's statement, they are working to expand the car into new markets. So, that is what I am talking about.

You are probably right about a new board coming up, though.

The US is going to be getting the next generation Skyline sedan I think starting 2003 as well, as an Infiniti.

American cars are alright. They have a lot of power for not very much money, which is nice, but they seem to be lacking a little in the quality control department, IMO. I shouldn't speak, though, since Mitsubishi has had a few scandals of their own!

1 - 20 of 61 Posts