GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

Long time stalker, first time poster. Bought my 09 car in th UK last December and sold my soul to the devil to pay the VRT import tax (the milk anyone with any form of disposable income tax).
Car had around 26k miles back then (about 35k now). Very clean car inside and out, good service history. Needed front brake discs and pads which i replaced with AP Racing and Stoptech pads. Anyone who's looking for a budget road pad these are solid!

Only other mods are Cobb AP and GTC y-pipe. I spent a lot of time this year sorting some rust issues on the rear undertray supporting brackets (had to replace a few brackets it was that bad, literally crumbled taking the undertray off), had to fabricate a lot of the metal pieces attaced to the under tray due to rust and corrosion. You Brits need to lay off the salt! :) You should just do what we do on west side which is nothing, mainly because our government cant afford it! All rust issues are now sorted.

Car had an oil leak from the the gearbox sump. Clips were done at Litchfiled and either they or someone else had rung bout 15 of the bolts. Oil was drained, gasket replaced for sanity reasons and all bolts replaced with oversized threads which worked nicely. Not a peep of oil out of it now.
54 month service done. Replaced all the trans fuilds, 2 x diff, gearbox and engine oil/filter and air filters.

I decided to change the Exhaust, after a bit of research on here I decided to go for a full Russ Fellows system. After some consultation with Russ he fabricated me a system to my requirements. The quality of the workmanship and materials used are amazing.
So yesterday it was off with the undertray (again) - whoever designed that undertray needs a smack, stupid amount of bolts and hangers. Exhaust went on without a hitch, perfect fit. Sounds amazing. Loud but not enough to be intrusive. Can't recommend Russ highly enough.

Anyway, that's enough for now, good luck! I'll post a link to pics later

Jeff

·
Registered
198 Posts
Welcome along lad,
Hope your enjoying the 35.
Not many of those in the emerald isle, As you mentioned the VRT is a disgrace.
What part you from?
Im a 34 Gtr owner from Sligo

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers boss!
I'm Kildare/Dublin area. Rare enough. I know of a few around but haven't actually seen or passed one on the road. In fact you don't see many genuine R34 GTRs either.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I know well, We are a dying breed these days.
Ill hopefully have a 35 some day, just might hold off for another while.
Be good to get a look at the 35 some day.
You heading to Japfest the wknd. Going to bring the 34 up for a spin. Should be a good day out

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you ever get the chance to buy one go for it. You won't be disappointed. I can help you out with advice on the VRT end. Mine didn't exactly go smoothly and they tried to shaft me but I was able to appeal some of it. Road tax is a bitch but i won't have it on the road during the winter so only tax it 9 months of the year. I have an S2000 for the winter ice and snow, very practical ha ha. If you think the power of the GTR is scary try drive one of those in the snow on summer tyres.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Won't be going to Japfest unless the ole lad (who's in his 70's) decides to which is entirely possible, don't live far from Mondello. I'm off to a stag in Bucharest.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Ya i can well imagine the VRT was hard to swallow. What is the road tax on them??
Same as, i only use the 34 for 6 months of the year. so it makes it a lot more manageable.
Some difference the S2000 id say tho.
Ive had a few Dc5's in my day. Great cars, with engines that take any amount of abuse.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tax on emmissons band is 2350 a year i think. I try not to think about that too much :-(

I've been a long time Honda fan boy. Love the DC5. I'd have one as a daily tomorrow!
My honda career goes like this.....
95 Integra Si
96 Integra Type-R DC2
99 Prelude SiR-S Spec (biggest regret ever selling that, H22A is smooth as silk)
93 Civic EG9 Track car with ITR conver
07 600RR

The GTR is the 1st non Honda I've ever had. Honda have gone downhill big time on performance machines in the last 6/7 years. Their bikes however are very nice!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Thats a fair kick in fairness.
But i suppose at the end of the day your driving a Gtr :)
Ya ive had a
93 1.6 vtec saloon
99 Ek9 Type R
03 Dc5
02 Dc5
01 Altezza
05 Evo VIII
05 E46 M3 CS
and now the R34. I also have a 1973 Mustang Mach 1 5.8 litre for the good weather also.
I haven't ventured to the bikes yet.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Savage history there. E46 M3 is beaut!! Definitely one of the nicest M3 variants cars. I'd say the Mustang turns heads and scares little children :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Holy shit that is class! Is that dodge challenger orange? Looks mint, fair play. Did u restore it yourself?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Fair play man, serious yoke to own. Great to see cars like this restored to that level and still being used on the road.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Well done Jeff for having a r35 in ireland. Vrt is a disgrace.
Hopeing to meet up with dom when i'am back, next couple of weeks, if you fancy a mini-meet.

·
Registered
69 Posts
A nordy here so luckily no VRT! Might head down to Japfestmyself-what's the parking like at Mondello? Safe enough to bring the GTR?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Grass/gravel parking mostly. Should be ok given the weather lately. You'll get the usual scumbags there like most public events at mondello but it's usually low level. Typically have a Garda presence for large events outside.

·
Registered
198 Posts
A nordy here so luckily no VRT! Might head down to Japfestmyself-what's the parking like at Mondello? Safe enough to bring the GTR?
Parking isn't too bad if your there early, i have my 34 in the show so ill be inside on the tarmac with 4-5 cars each side of it and mine should be under a canopy also so shouldn't have to worry about it :) will more than likely be a few lads keeping an eye on it the whole day.

Its usually a great show tho with plenty of things on all day :)
If your down come down by my car to say hello

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hey Jeff, I'm mostly in Dublin - but my GTR lives in London!
How much did you end up paying in VRT? Last time I checked on the Revenue website it was going to cost me about 15 grand to import it... :puke:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts